The Student Room Group

Why is Kate Middleton adored yet Cheryl Cole is loathed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Fusion
Cheryl came from a council house in Newcastle and made success and fame whereas Kate's claim to fame is meeting the future King at uni and clinging to him for all she could.

Kate cuts ribbons

Cheryl works her socks off whilst taking abuse from all corners (chav etc)

p.s. I'm certaintly not a fan of CC by any means

I neither adore nor hate either of them, having never met them. If you do, you're a bit of a mug. Find real people.
Reply 81
Original post by Kinti
What about the see-through dress she wore at a St Andrew's charity fashion show?

Coincidentally, that was apparently the time that Wills first noticed her.

Looks like Kate had a masterplan, and it worked.
Reply 82
Kate and Cheryl are two completely different people, different backgrounds and individuals that both live different lives to each other, you cant really group them together. Kate was a commoner that who fell in love with a royal, thats why people like her i guess. Whereas Cheryl was a footballers wife, a singer now turned actress in the movie 'What to expect, when you're expecting' - So it's up to you how you feel about Cheryl Cole, so you can't compare her with Kate.
Reply 83
Original post by kaypc
i don't see Kate as a commoner, wasn't her family quite wealthy before marriage?
people don't admire Cole because she lip syncs and calls that 'working hard'. doesn't write her own music either so basically the only thing she's got going for her is her looks.

I have to agree it's about overall talent, Katy Perry isn't an amazing singer but she's a good song writer.
Reply 84
From what I've gathered by looking at a certain newspaper, Kate Middleton (or rather, the Duchess of Cambridge) isn't really adored as a person. It's more to do with the clothes she's wearing and how she's done her hair. 'Oh, she's wearing Alexander McQueen today!' 'Look, look, she's wearing a dress similar to Diana's!' The list goes on. There's also an air of mystery about her. She barely speaks in front of a camera (unlike her late mother-in-law) and the way I see it, this makes her rather like a blank canvas. No one really knows what she's like (or what the persona she projects is like) and so will consequently focus on something else about her, which is more often than not her appearance. I also think that many people like her for being so quiet and tight-lipped in an age where celebrities' dirty secrets are more often than not common knowledge. Left, right and centre you see interviews and 'tell-alls' with actors and singers and models telling the whole world about their personal life, so it's always refreshing when someone in the public eye deviates from the norm.

Cheryl Cole, on the other hand, is much less mysterious. She does many interviews, talks about her personal life and even tweets about eating some ****ing digestive biscuits. Many also see her as a talentless singer who has succeeded purely on account of her looks. I personally don't really see what makes her so horrible a person; she seems, for all I (don't) know about her, friendly and hardworking. Say what you like about her singing ability, but she's done well to get where she has today, and although I don't like her music, I admire her for that.

Just my thoughts. I find myself wondering this question occasionally, especially because what's usually the case is that the working class girl is revered as being some kind of goddess, and the middle/upper class girl is universally scorned :holmes:
Class.
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
- I don't think the Royal Wedding was the best just because it was Kate who was getting married, it could have been anyone who married Prince William. What I think made it so special was the feeling of everyone in GB uniting and celebrating- it really made me soften towards the Royal Family because there really aren't that many occasions that have the ability to get everyone out on the streets celebrating. Also, Royal Weddings are always exciting, no matter who the bride is. They're so well planned and widely broadcasted that the Palace advisors are never going to allow it to be a shambles. That's just my opinion though.

-Dressing well isn't that hard when you have a shopping budget as big as hers and can afford to get everything made for you by top designers.

- I know for certain that most commoners don't live in £1 million+ houses, have £30,000 a year educations and have parents who can afford to fund your lavish lifestyle because you can't work due to press harassment/needing to be available for your prince whenever her calls/because you don't want to. I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad thing or that she should be punished for it, after all some people are born lucky, others not so much, my only objection is calling her a 'commoner' and implying that she is in some way more in touch with the 'people' compared to the royal family. After all, if she hadn't had her education she would not be as refined as she is now and she and PW may never have met.

-Having said that, I'm sure being a part of the Royal Family is challenging in other ways, eg long days, doing things that bore you, never being able to retire, lack of privacy and press harassment, and she's kept it pretty together and has done nothing to embarass herself or the Royal Family (shame the same can't be said of her sister) and I do think she deserves kudos for that.

I agree. If waiting around to get married and never working a day in your life makes you a role model then okay. She's pretty and has done well so far but she sure as hell isn't a great role model.

OK so not everybody subscribes to the worshipping of the Monarchy or celebrating un earned wealth and privilege or even celebrating the inequalities in our society.
The Royals work hard? who says so? THEY DO,they are a self perpetuating,self publicist,representation of a by gone era,where the working classes touched their forlocks and curtsied.
The Monarchy stops us from having a written constitution and a bill of rights,let's be a grown up 21st century democracy and stop all the silliness of one human being worshippede because they are born in the right bed.
Let's stop an elected Prime minister having to report to an UNELECTED queen
Before you all reach for the usual clichee's about the Monarchy,they bring in tourism trade etc,what is the evidence for this?
How do we know that people come here to see the royals,has any tourist actualy seen them anyway,and what an insult to our beautiful country and our tourist industry to say most tourist come here to gawp through the railings at BUCK PAL
I bet there is a chinese business man thinking about investing in the UK because we have a monachy---NO THERE IS NOT!! he will make a decision based on sound economic good sense
Back to Kate,shallow,irrelevant,representing wealth,and privilege,in a redundant disfunctional family that has had NAZI supporters,RASCISTS,and HITLER lovers in their ranks.
And let's stop calling the majority in this country commoners,what is that all about? it's like the royals have super powers!!
OOOOh the queen works hard!!! so does my mum,so do nurses,firemen,doctors,and the nice lady on the checkout in Tescos,and any way what is it exactly that she works soooo hard at?
When the country enters a sticky financial patch the royals see it as an opportunity to endear themselvs to us the "un washed" and they wheel out the next pretty bimbo to marry one of their feckless sons or daughters at great expense to you and I
Quote: the royal jubilee earned London 150 million,but it cost the country 1.2 BILLION all this in a double dip recession which will see cuts to the National health and disabled people being told they are no longer disabled to cut their benefits down
But still Kate is sooooooo pretty
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Maybe because she was convicted of assault?
Although her album will still reach No. 1 and she still has many fans so she does divide opinion.

I must say that I am most certainly not a fan of Kate - all girls should follow her example and marry a prince, yes? NO.

And she has lost a lot of weight and unless you are naturally that small - very unlikely - her frame is not a good thing to aim for.

I am in the music business,and i have to tell you that a number one cd or single is very easy to achieve if the record company throws enough money at it,sales number in thousands for a number one album these days and with dowloads that is easily achieved and manipulated
What with "auto tune" in the studio and a powerful record company getting behind the record,they don't need much talent,and indeed the record companies are not interested in nurturing talent,they are more interested in shiffting "units"
Which means that a so called singer like Cheryl is merely the front of an advertising campaign to shift units and earn money.
no one at the record company is interested in the artistic merit of a record or the career of their artist,it's all about the money,in ten years time we will say Cheryl who?
Original post by Loucleaves123
I am in the music business,and i have to tell you that a number one cd or single is very easy to achieve if the record company throws enough money at it,sales number in thousands for a number one album these days and with dowloads that is easily achieved and manipulated
What with "auto tune" in the studio and a powerful record company getting behind the record,they don't need much talent,and indeed the record companies are not interested in nurturing talent,they are more interested in shiffting "units"
Which means that a so called singer like Cheryl is merely the front of an advertising campaign to shift units and earn money.
no one at the record company is interested in the artistic merit of a record or the career of their artist,it's all about the money,in ten years time we will say Cheryl who?

Yes she's crap. She still has a big fanbase and lots of positive media coverage though.
I don't really care about either but Cheryl is trashy and Kate has more class.
Reply 90
Original post by Kinti
What about the see-through dress she wore at a St Andrew's charity fashion show?

Coincidentally, that was apparently the time that Wills first noticed her.

It was for charity and fashion shows often have outfits like that. Posing for FHM and wearing it in day to day life is a bit different :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by Fusion
Looks like Kate had a masterplan, and it worked.

Why must people always assume that she had some cunning plan to marry William?

I guess it is an assumption people would have made no matter who he married though.
Reply 92
Perhaps because Kate doesn't assault people in nightclubs.

I don't particularly have feelings about either of them though.
I don't adore Kate Middleton. Kate clung to William and changed everything about herself to keep him. At least Cheryl Cole has worked for what she has.
all the rumours about Kate's pregnancy make me laugh.
Original post by Loucleaves123
OK so not everybody subscribes to the worshipping of the Monarchy or celebrating un earned wealth and privilege or even celebrating the inequalities in our society.
The Royals work hard? who says so? THEY DO,they are a self perpetuating,self publicist,representation of a by gone era,where the working classes touched their forlocks and curtsied.
The Monarchy stops us from having a written constitution and a bill of rights,let's be a grown up 21st century democracy and stop all the silliness of one human being worshippede because they are born in the right bed.
Let's stop an elected Prime minister having to report to an UNELECTED queen
Before you all reach for the usual clichee's about the Monarchy,they bring in tourism trade etc,what is the evidence for this?
How do we know that people come here to see the royals,has any tourist actualy seen them anyway,and what an insult to our beautiful country and our tourist industry to say most tourist come here to gawp through the railings at BUCK PAL
I bet there is a chinese business man thinking about investing in the UK because we have a monachy---NO THERE IS NOT!! he will make a decision based on sound economic good sense
Back to Kate,shallow,irrelevant,representing wealth,and privilege,in a redundant disfunctional family that has had NAZI supporters,RASCISTS,and HITLER lovers in their ranks.
And let's stop calling the majority in this country commoners,what is that all about? it's like the royals have super powers!!
OOOOh the queen works hard!!! so does my mum,so do nurses,firemen,doctors,and the nice lady on the checkout in Tescos,and any way what is it exactly that she works soooo hard at?
When the country enters a sticky financial patch the royals see it as an opportunity to endear themselvs to us the "un washed" and they wheel out the next pretty bimbo to marry one of their feckless sons or daughters at great expense to you and I
Quote: the royal jubilee earned London 150 million,but it cost the country 1.2 BILLION all this in a double dip recession which will see cuts to the National health and disabled people being told they are no longer disabled to cut their benefits down
But still Kate is sooooooo pretty

I respect the Queen immensely for what she has done for our Nation, not inherently because she is a royal. Yes, she probably has never, or will ever know hardship like normal people off the street, will never have to work long hours in a menial job but what she does is hard in a different way. I think it is incredibly tough for your home and work life to essentially be the same thing, the queen can never retire and I'm sure that beyond the glitz and glamour the job is very boring and tiring at times and you would just want your privacy.
The whole Kate Middleton mania I loathe and abhor because she has only been officially 'working' for a year with the Royal Family and most of her work is what most of us would do on a day off, gallery visits etc. How can anyone honestly think she is an incredible role model, someone who girls around the world should look up to. So far she has done little in her life other than marry a prince.
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
I respect the Queen immensely for what she has done for our Nation, not inherently because she is a royal. Yes, she probably has never, or will ever know hardship like normal people off the street, will never have to work long hours in a menial job but what she does is hard in a different way. I think it is incredibly tough for your home and work life to essentially be the same thing, the queen can never retire and I'm sure that beyond the glitz and glamour the job is very boring and tiring at times and you would just want your privacy.
The whole Kate Middleton mania I loathe and abhor because she has only been officially 'working' for a year with the Royal Family and most of her work is what most of us would do on a day off, gallery visits etc. How can anyone honestly think she is an incredible role model, someone who girls around the world should look up to. So far she has done little in her life other than marry a prince.

Exactly what has the queen done for our nation?
What does she work so hard at?
Many millions of people have work and home tied up,but they don't have scores of other houses to go to,to get her privacy
The queen can never retire?
Her uncle abdicated and we managed to carry on without him as do most countries in the world
My main point is that we live in a twentieth century DEMOCRACY with an un elected head of state,which denies us a written constitution and a bill of rights,regardless of whether Will's nan is a nice person or works hard
The problem with getting rid of the house of lords and the queen is that it is tied up in religion,and inherited positions of privilege which is what i object to.
The head of state and the house of representatives should be elected,to avoid some un elected hooray Henry from blocking legislation from the House of Commons which are elected.
Just about this time the Monarchists will bring up the old red herring of President Blair--well that will be for the people to decide.
And talking of Royal mania ,was it not Blair who advised the queen when Diana died,and the Queen wanted nothing to do with her funeral,quoting that she was no longer "royal" it's just goes to show how short peoples memories are, especially the memories of royals supporting Hitler
Much easier to get rid of the lot of them and become a grown up twenty first century democracy
And,no the royals do not stop wars or have ANY super powers
(edited 11 years ago)
One's a good role model, the other isn't. Guess which is which.
Original post by Ra Ra
x

LOVE the sig. Big fan of Father Ted I take it?
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Yes she's crap. She still has a big fanbase and lots of positive media coverage though.

She has a fan-base and positive media coverage because she has "product" to sell
and a very good promotion machine behind that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending