Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buffers equation help!

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

a buffer solution is formed from the addition of propanoic acid to sodium hydroxide.

The reason why i need to form two equations is because the following question says :

When a further small amount of sodium hydroxide is added in the titration, the pH changes very little.

The answer talks about the OH- reacting with the H+ which is confusing.

Basically i need two equations which will help me understand this process. Cheers
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Write the ionic equation first, that might make it easier.
    You don't really need two.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    hiya,
    a base is a mixture of weak acid (propanoic acid) and its conjugate base and H+ (as its dissociated).

ok sodium hydroxide is a base, so upon the addition of a base (OH-) it would react with the H+ from the dissociation of acid (in the buffer) forming water. this would mean that more acid has to dissociate to make up for the deficit in H+ ions,

do that make sense?
    Hope it helps
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Hey guys,

a buffer solution is formed from the addition of propanoic acid to sodium hydroxide.

The reason why i need to form two equations is because the following question says :

When a further small amount of sodium hydroxide is added in the titration, the pH changes very little.

The answer talks about the OH- reacting with the H+ which is confusing.

Basically i need two equations which will help me understand this process. Cheers
    CH3CH2COOH + NaOH = CH3CH2COO-Na+ + H2O

THAT IS A WEAK ACID AND A SALT OF A WEAK ACID THUS A BUFFER SOLUTION

WHEN H+ ADDED
    CH3CH2COO- + H+ = CH3CH2COOH

WHEN OH- ADDED
    CH3CH2COOH + OH- = CH3CH2COO- + H2O

SO POTENTIAL pH CHANGE IS PREVENTED
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You only need 1 equation. The second one is simply hydrogen ions reacting with OH ions to form water. Propanoic acid dissociating is your buffer solution. Don't consider NaOH. it's a reversible reaction since propanoic acid dissociates partially to give hydrogen ions and CH3CH2COO- ions. adding MORE hydroxide ions remove hydrogen ions from the solution, so the equilibrium shifts from left to right to produce more of the H+ ions and restoring the pH.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayjes02)
    hiya,
    a base is a mixture of weak acid (propanoic acid) and its conjugate base and H+ (as its dissociated).

ok sodium hydroxide is a base, so upon the addition of a base (OH-) it would react with the H+ from the dissociation of acid (in the buffer) forming water. this would mean that more acid has to dissociate to make up for the deficit in H+ ions,

do that make sense?
    Hope it helps
    Thanks, it does, but I'm struggling to figure out the equation of the dissociation of propanoic acid.

The correct way is:

CH3CH2COOH ⇌ CH3CH2COO- + H+

however i also stumble across books saying:

CH3CH2COOH + H20 ⇌ H30+ + CH3CH2COO-

why have they included the (h20) in this equation? I thought that when a weak acid dissociates, it needs H20 in the reaction to do so?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it does, but I'm struggling to figure out the equation of the dissociation of propanoic acid.

The correct way is:

why have they included the (h20) in this equation? I thought that when a weak acid dissociates, it needs H20 in the reaction to do so?
    You know in reality H+ ions don't exist, it's H3O ions. Something dissociates because it reacts with water. Whether you consider the role of water or not should make no difference though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if that makes no sense, then think of HCl. In gaseous form it's just a gas. You test it with MOIST blue litmus paper. it has acidic properties ONLY when dissolved in water. That's because H+ ions are H3O+ ions really, but for simplicity we ignore the role of water
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

The correct way is:

Kc = [ CH3CH2COO-][ H3O+]/ [CH3CH2COOH][H2O]

Kc*[H2O] = Ka

therefore Ka = [ CH3CH2COO-][ H3O+]/ [CH3CH2COOH]

H+ exist as H3O+
    but in the equation always use H+

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.