Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

how good is a 2:1?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello this is my first post and perhaps I am not in the right mind right now to be posting this. I have just received my result for my degree in a science course and its a 2:1 . I am extremely disappointed with that because from the start of my course I have been aiming for a 1st Class. I always managed my average over 70%, which is what you need to get a 1st class at my university but now, after the final exams, I have finished on a 2:1 with an average of 68.2%. I worked so hard for it and came so close, I almost feel like crying.

What upsets me more is that I am now part of a majority of university student who finish with a 2:1. When I apply to a job, is anyone really going to look at/care that I have a high grade average? As far as an employee is concerned I am just another applicant with a 2:1. I feel that any application I send will not have that competitive edge that a 1st class degree would have given me.

I intend to apply for a competitive PhD and and maybe medicine this year. Can someone with experience give me some feedback or advice?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Phone your personal tutor.. and appeal!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggnogs)
    What upsets me more is that I am now part of a majority of university student who finish with a 2:1. When I apply to a job, is anyone really going to look at/care that I have a high grade average? As far as an employee is concerned I am just another applicant with a 2:1. I feel that any application I send will not have that competitive edge that a 1st class degree would have given me.

I intend to apply for a competitive PhD and and maybe medicine this year. Can someone with experience give me some feedback or advice?

Thanks
    There are people who get 2:2's and are successes at postgraduate research, and equally there are 1st class degree holders that go for a PhD and suck monkey balls at it.

Like every other grade you have ever received in life, this one is only as good as what you do with it. A 1st is terrible if it gives people the impression that you're up yourself, and a 2:2 is brilliant if it makes you look more social to an idiot of a recruiter and you finally catch a break.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggnogs)
    Hello this is my first post and perhaps I am not in the right mind right now to be posting this. I have just received my result for my degree in a science course and its a 2:1 . I am extremely disappointed with that because from the start of my course I have been aiming for a 1st Class. I always managed my average over 70%, which is what you need to get a 1st class at my university but now, after the final exams, I have finished on a 2:1 with an average of 68.2%. I worked so hard for it and came so close, I almost feel like crying.

Thanks
    Was it a Bsc on an Msci?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my uni an appeal will only be considered if there are mitigating circumstances - if not then the board of examiners decision is final and cannot be challenged (all unis are different though so find out what the stance is at yours). So unless a student has mitigating circumstances then appealing a grade will probably be pointless.

I don't mean to be negative but you also have to consider the fact that if someone gets 48% then they have a solid 3rd, if someone gets 58% then they have a solid 2:2, if someone gets 68% they have a solid 2:1 and if someone gets 78% they have a solid 1st. You don't come near to a solid 1st, you've got a respectable 2:1 (a lot of employers stipulate a 2:1 at minimum of 67%). Just because your overall is close to a 1st doesn't mean it's deserving of a 1st. I know that sounds really negative, I don't mean to be - just trying to show you another perspective. A 2:1 is very good, well done.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.