The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Of course, it will alwys help Amber!
I'm going to the Bartlett (UCL) Open Day tomorrow. I can't wait to go and have a look around!
Anyone else thinking of UCL? I know that it's so competitive. >.<
Original post by Abblecrumble
I'm going to the Bartlett (UCL) Open Day tomorrow. I can't wait to go and have a look around!

Nice, make sure to have a look round the end of year show in the Slade galleries while you're nearby.
Reply 43
I don't have any chance to get in since they requiere a minimum score of 84% for students coming from Spain, so I don't gonna go to visit it or anything. It is not an option for me :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by GormlessWonder
Nice, make sure to have a look round the end of year show in the Slade galleries while you're nearby.

The Slade is amazing! Sometimes I wish I was going to do Fine Art. Haha. I have already made my decision on architecture though. c:
Reply 45
Original post by Winchester
Hello, there! Nice list of universities you have, I'm personally considering all of those too, maybe not UCL as they're not accepting my school leaving certificate but I would love to go there (but I have wrote them a letter asking them if they would accept me with exceptional grades and strong portfolio still waiting for response).:smile:

I think they probably will accept you if you get at least 1 A* maybe as they only ask for AAB so getting an A8 and a really good portfolio can contemplate it. Also don't UCL ask for a foreign language to be taken by all UK students at gcse level or something? (starting from 2012 applicants)
Reply 46
Original post by msas1
yes, but he's the new head of school, not the head of department (or whatever they call it there), so he cannot have that much influence on a particular course, éven if it's his speciality. obviously he has the power to do so, but i doubt it. i'm just guessing though

i have offers from westminster, csm, cambridge and the aa, btw

what a-levels are you studying and what are your grades in them?:smile:
Reply 47
Original post by notsure
I think they probably will accept you if you get at least 1 A* maybe as they only ask for AAB so getting an A8 and a really good portfolio can contemplate it. Also don't UCL ask for a foreign language to be taken by all UK students at gcse level or something? (starting from 2012 applicants)

I asked one of the guys at a stand about it, he said that it shouldn't matter as I can take a language alongside my course and they only require it because they're an international university (or something along the lines of that) but I get the impression it shouldn't hinder me, although I guess every little helps with UCL :frown:
Reply 48
Original post by notsure
what a-levels are you studying and what are your grades in them?:smile:

hey! i'm not from the uk (actually i'm hungarian), so i don't have a-levels, i sat final exams in 7 subjects. most of my grades are equivalent to As.
Reply 49
Is anyone else here doing the the Bartlett School of Architecture's summer school this August? :smile:
Reply 50
Hi everyone, I've only just recently decided that I really wanna study architecture, a massive swing from what I was planning on applying for - medicine. Soo naturally I chose my alevel subjects with medicine in mind, n noow I really don't know what to drop for A2. I've taken biology, chemistry, maths n english lit. I absolutely haate maths n was planning on dropping it, buut then, looking at everyone elses posts on their chosen subjects they all seem to have either it or physics so I'm not so sure what to do anymore. Buut then agaain, I'm absolutely dreading A2 biology AAAND chemistry and since they're not even necessary subjects anymore I really don't know what to do, since the both of them are such hard work :/. I actually really enjoy biology soo obviously want to keep that but am not so sure when it comes to dropping either maths/chemistry soo any help/advice anyone?! D: I really dunno what to doo :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by natewah
Hi everyone, I've only just recently decided that I really wanna study architecture, a massive swing from what I was planning on applying for - medicine. Soo naturally I chose my alevel subjects with medicine in mind, n noow I really don't know what to drop for A2. I've taken biology, chemistry, maths n english lit. I absolutely haate maths n was planning on dropping it, buut then, looking at everyone elses posts on their chosen subjects they all seem to have either it or physics so I'm not so sure what to do anymore. Buut then agaain, I'm absolutely dreading A2 biology AAAND chemistry and since they're not even necessary subjects anymore I really don't know what to do, since the both of them are such hard work :/. I actually really enjoy biology soo obviously want to keep that but am not so sure when it comes to dropping either maths/chemistry soo any help/advice anyone?! D: I really dunno what to doo :s-smilie:

Well, Art and Design seems to be a must, but with a strong portfolio I think it would not be so important. If I were you I'd worried more for the Art side that the Maths-Physics. I'm in the same case, in Spain, taken Mats, Physics and Design Technology at higer level last year and Maths, Technical Drawing and Literature in september. Should you worry about this? Well, it depends on your artistic habilities, but if they are not very good, I'd gone to a Foundation curse before.

Reply 52
Original post by natewah

If I were you I'd be inclined to keep maths and english lit, and if you want to do biology then drop chemistry. As long as you can provide a strong portfolio, most places will consider you regardless of what subjects you have, although for many maths seems quite important. Everywhere I've looked anyway has suggested a science/maths based subject, an arts based subject (and if not a good portfolio) and any other subject that shows variety (i.e. your english lit, which would be good for written reports etc etc). :smile:
Original post by natewah

I wouldn't advise doing chemistry A2 if your not completely committed, I know it is supposed to be hard work. I had to make a similar decision biology or chemistry to drop, and dropped chemistry because even though I really enjoyed it I knew it would require huge amounts of work to do well. But if you hate maths then maybe that would be best, there isn't a right answer maybe wait for results. At the end of the day the most important thing is results, for architecture you are likely to need AAA so I would leave the decision until results come out.

But don't worry about not having maths for architecture, it honestly doesn't matter, choose to keep with the one you prefer now.
Reply 54
Original post by Lulila
Well, Art and Design seems to be a must, but with a strong portfolio I think it would not be so important. If I were you I'd worried more for the Art side that the Maths-Physics. I'm in the same case, in Spain, taken Mats, Physics and Design Technology at higer level last year and Maths, Technical Drawing and Literature in september. Should you worry about this? Well, it depends on your artistic habilities, but if they are not very good, I'd gone to a Foundation curse before.

Yeah, to be honest, I'm planning on picking up AS art and design this september while i complete my A2s, buut I don't know, I wouldn't say I'm an amaaasing artist - despite getting an a at gcse without much effort looking at other peoples A Level work - i often feel quite intimidated n mediocre :s-smilie: n I actually would quite like to take a foundation course buut tbh, my parents are definitely not up for me taking on a gap year to do it :/ dya reckon there are any kind of part time courses that i could do outside of college hours? :confused:w thanks btw for replying :smile: XD
Reply 55
Original post by rachel1508
If I were you I'd be inclined to keep maths and english lit, and if you want to do biology then drop chemistry. As long as you can provide a strong portfolio, most places will consider you regardless of what subjects you have, although for many maths seems quite important. Everywhere I've looked anyway has suggested a science/maths based subject, an arts based subject (and if not a good portfolio) and any other subject that shows variety (i.e. your english lit, which would be good for written reports etc etc). :smile:

thankyouu rachel, even though I have a niggling suspicion that I've performed alooot better in chemistry then I have in maths (I'm pretty sure I failed my stats exam :'(), I think it's just gonna have to go - hahaa, I just can't bear the thought of the amount of learning I'm gonna have to do doing both chemistry and bioolgy! :s-smilie: despite it being infinitely more interesting then maths, I don't think I'll be able to manage all the work soo, just gonna have to go through another year of torture! :frown: :/ ugghhh - I'm soo conflicted about it! - I really don't want to but I just think it'd be best to keep it up :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Claire888
I wouldn't advise doing chemistry A2 if your not completely committed, I know it is supposed to be hard work. I had to make a similar decision biology or chemistry to drop, and dropped chemistry because even though I really enjoyed it I knew it would require huge amounts of work to do well. But if you hate maths then maybe that would be best, there isn't a right answer maybe wait for results. At the end of the day the most important thing is results, for architecture you are likely to need AAA so I would leave the decision until results come out.

But don't worry about not having maths for architecture, it honestly doesn't matter, choose to keep with the one you prefer now.

thanks claire, you really do seem to understand my dilemma! :') n for now, I think I'm leaning towards keeping maths, even though I absolutely hate it - I know it's a subject thats more geared towards practice as opposed to chem which needs a lot of learning :/ ... but then again, I know that I did considerably worse in maths then I did chemistry (I'm pretty sure I failed my stats exam :frown: ) so at the same time, I think it's a really stupid thing to do :/
Original post by natewah
thanks claire, you really do seem to understand my dilemma! :') n for now, I think I'm leaning towards keeping maths, even though I absolutely hate it - I know it's a subject thats more geared towards practice as opposed to chem which needs a lot of learning :/ ... but then again, I know that I did considerably worse in maths then I did chemistry (I'm pretty sure I failed my stats exam :frown: ) so at the same time, I think it's a really stupid thing to do :/

Ah well I thought the same thing about chemistry when I came out of the last AS exam, but it wasn't too bad in the end. It's always a difficult decision to make, I didn't make it until a week into the start of term (I took bio and chem until then) just trying to make up my mind, so there really is no rush.
Reply 58
Original post by natewah
Yeah, to be honest, I'm planning on picking up AS art and design this september while i complete my A2s, buut I don't know, I wouldn't say I'm an amaaasing artist - despite getting an a at gcse without much effort looking at other peoples A Level work - i often feel quite intimidated n mediocre :s-smilie: n I actually would quite like to take a foundation course buut tbh, my parents are definitely not up for me taking on a gap year to do it :/ dya reckon there are any kind of part time courses that i could do outside of college hours? :confused:w thanks btw for replying :smile: XD

It's not a GAP year, and foundations are free if you are under 19.

Hey guys! I want to apply to Bartlett, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester. I am not living in UK so i will have to take a language exam (i think Ielts will be my choice). Have you got any idea if i need this exam when i send my application or i can take it after i get a place at a certain uni? Moreover, would any of you post some of your work? In Romania i draw mostly buildings.(due to the admission system in Romanian universities) How about you? This is an attempt of a portfolio with some old works of mine. I have some recent ones that look better. What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending