The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Oh god, I've applied to almost the same places as you! Very worried now!! But those are amazing grades, congratulations! :smile: May i ask what your predictions were last year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Me either :smile: their music is just so remarkable:smile: yes, Matura exam is equivalent to A levels, but you've got much more subjects to choose from. In Poland, it's really narrowed. For instance, i will have to write history of art exam, because we don't have something like art or design on Matura. What's more,history of aft is not taught at my secondary School and i stud it by myself, during my leisure time etc. The thing is that despite my problem with history of art (no one can check it and assess it) extended Matura exam in math is quite tough. It'll take some time to do well on it. I mean around 82%-85% :smile:
Original post by tinwid
Me either :smile: their music is just so remarkable:smile: yes, Matura exam is equivalent to A levels, but you've got much more subjects to choose from. In Poland, it's really narrowed. For instance, i will have to write history of art exam, because we don't have something like art or design on Matura. What's more,history of aft is not taught at my secondary School and i stud it by myself, during my leisure time etc. The thing is that despite my problem with history of art (no one can check it and assess it) extended Matura exam in math is quite tough. It'll take some time to do well on it. I mean around 82%-85% :smile:

Hello. I'm from Bulgaria and the matura exams are even more narrowed. We have one obligatory in Bulgarian language and literature and an optional one. However, there isn't anything related to art as an option. Can I ask you why don't you choose something else: English for example (I see your level is good) or is it really that important to do art/science/maths matura (or A levels). Personally, I'd like to do my second one in English because I know I would do my best there, and am kind of thinking about maths, but my score wouldn't be that good. Plus, I've read the entry requirements for different unis and it said English A level was okay, but do you reckon this would put me in a disadvantage? (question to everyone, thanks)

And btw I am thinking of applying to Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle and kind of thinking about trying at Cambridge.. still not sure.. got a week do decide :biggrin:
Reply 103
crystalcastles, Thank you, your English also sounds good:smile: Of course, I'm going to write my Matura Exam in three extended subjects; Math, English and History of Art. I could study something like Physics or Chemistry, but I wanted study something somehow related to the architecture course. Every uni requires to have three extended Maturas and there's no exception to this. Requirements only vary in percentage level.
I can see that you chose really competitive unis! You have to be really great at art:smile: I've also chosen Sheffield and Newcastle, but the rest is a little lower in the league tables. I just want to be sure that I'll get a place in the UK. It would be really disappointing if I didn't get offer at any uni.... I would recommend you to do the same; choose unis from the best ones, like Cambridge and Manchester, and some weaker, but still good.
btw. I'm looking forward to hearing new album from Crystal Castles :biggrin:
tinwid, yes I was afraid of being rejected everywhere too, and that's why I have doubts about Cambridge, being extremely competitive and demanding. Choosing a uni which is not so competitive is a good idea, if you don't want to wait for next year to apply again. I will think about my choices..Still got time to decide though :smile: I've been attending art courses for 3 years now so I hope I have chances of getting a place among these :smile:
P.S Me too, the new track Wrath of God is pure awesomness :biggrin:
Reply 105
From the overall research and opinions in architecture course, the University of Dundee seems to be quite good:smile: And it's in Scotland, which means it's free to study there! And jaw-dropping landscapes on the doorstep:smile: Oh, I see, 3 years of art course may make a difference! I'm also attending a drawing course in Warsaw, it's about 280 km from my hometown. I have to travel there every second weekend, which can be exhausting. BUT there's nothing I wouldn't do to get into uk's uni:smile:
Original post by tinwid
From the overall research and opinions in architecture course, the University of Dundee seems to be quite good:smile: And it's in Scotland, which means it's free to study there! And jaw-dropping landscapes on the doorstep:smile: Oh, I see, 3 years of art course may make a difference! I'm also attending a drawing course in Warsaw, it's about 280 km from my hometown. I have to travel there every second weekend, which can be exhausting. BUT there's nothing I wouldn't do to get into uk's uni:smile:

Edinburgh is also very good for architecture in Scotland! I'm thinking of going there. It's a shame that English, Welsh students still have to pay tuition fees for Scotland though.
Reply 107
Abblecrumble, at the beginning i had also considered edinburgh as a place to apply, but I heard a lot about chances of getting there. even some remarkable students don't get an offer for no reason..
Reply 108
Looks like Sheffield is really popular?!
Original post by tinwid
Abblecrumble, at the beginning i had also considered edinburgh as a place to apply, but I heard a lot about chances of getting there. even some remarkable students don't get an offer for no reason..

I think getting into some universities is a bit of a lottery. It's whether you're willing to take the chance. This is similar with all competitive universities really.
Reply 110
I must admit there's a lot of truth in your words. I think that to unis like Newcastle, the whole admission process seems to be more reliable
Reply 111
At the moment I'm a bit confused with which uni's to apply to :/
If I'm predicted AAB or A*BB do think its worth even applying to an AAA uni for example Nottingham or Newcastle?
Also does anyone know any decent BBB uni's?
Reply 112
Original post by AliD09
If I'm predicted AAB or A*BB do think its worth even applying to an AAA uni for example Nottingham or Newcastle?

I have the same predictions (or plan to have, need to double check with my teachers) and I'm going to apply to Newcastle :smile:
I wouldn't apply to all AAA's, obviously, but I know when I went to Newcastle they said the were quite lenient and someone on here got an offer with AAB :smile:
I'm applying to London Met as my back up as it's BBB. The course seems good but I'm pretty sure the building for architecture is just outside Hackney which is what put me off :redface:
Original post by AliD09

Think of it like this, if you apply for a uni which asks for BBB, lots of people may apply because of the 'low' requirements, but this may mean only those with AAA are given offers.

Those unis asking for AAA are usually more lenient as they know that not every one will reach that offer and will allow slightly lower grades.

The requirements are just tactics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Was wondering if I could get a bit of advice :smile:

I'm predicted BBC in my A-Level subjects Art, Business and Geography. I was thinking of applying for Architecture at Sheffield Hallam, De Montfort and Portsmouth University.

My form tutor said even though these 3 uni's say they require 280 points, its a competitive course and even if I met my predicted grades I might not be accepted on the course? Or are they lenient on entry requirements like some other courses with the number of applicants decreasing?

Should I consider doing a foundation? But I cant find any uni's that offer a foundation in architecture (not architecture TECHNOLOGY) except for Uni of Greenwich.

Any comments on my uni choices, and possibly suggestions on a back up uni or others with requirements of 280 points? Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Amber_24
I have the same predictions (or plan to have, need to double check with my teachers) and I'm going to apply to Newcastle :smile:
I wouldn't apply to all AAA's, obviously, but I know when I went to Newcastle they said the were quite lenient and someone on here got an offer with AAB :smile:
I'm applying to London Met as my back up as it's BBB. The course seems good but I'm pretty sure the building for architecture is just outside Hackney which is what put me off :redface:

Thanks for the advice :smile: Where I'm thinking of applying is Oxford Brookes, UCL, Kent which are all AAB and Porstmouth which is 280 points. I thought it might be a good back up for me as the course looked quite good when I looked around on the open day because its close to where I live and is getting brand new facilities. The course also seemed quite arty which suits me and the first year you spend with the interior design students, which also appealed to me. Where I'd really love to go is UCL or Kent though. Do you know if Nottingham has given lower offers before? :smile:
Reply 116
Original post by Abblecrumble
Think of it like this, if you apply for a uni which asks for BBB, lots of people may apply because of the 'low' requirements, but this may mean only those with AAA are given offers.

Those unis asking for AAA are usually more lenient as they know that not every one will reach that offer and will allow slightly lower grades.

The requirements are just tactics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: what your saying makes a lot of sense! I guess I'll never know unless I try :biggrin:
Original post by AliD09
Thanks :smile: what your saying makes a lot of sense! I guess I'll never know unless I try :biggrin:

Just go for it! I'm going to make sure I've got a good portfolio and personal statement and hope for the best. Haha! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by AliD09
Thanks for the advice :smile: Where I'm thinking of applying is Oxford Brookes, UCL, Kent which are all AAB and Porstmouth which is 280 points. I thought it might be a good back up for me as the course looked quite good when I looked around on the open day because its close to where I live and is getting brand new facilities. The course also seemed quite arty which suits me and the first year you spend with the interior design students, which also appealed to me. Where I'd really love to go is UCL or Kent though. Do you know if Nottingham has given lower offers before? :smile:

I'm not too sure about others sorry !! Although I too am applying for UCL and Oxford Brookes :biggrin: They're both my top choices along with Newcastle, I loved them. Good luck with everything and sorry I couldn't help further :smile:
Hello everyone!! Just found the thread now so sorry for the late join on the train :P

I've applied to Cambridge, Sheffield, Glasgow School of Art and Nottingham, in order of preference :biggrin: I'm applying for both Architecture and Architecture with Landscape Architecture and I'm still undecided which one I'll go for if I get in.

All the best for everyone and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending