Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fox news in the UK.

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Watching the Leveson enquiry I saw that James Murdoch wants to set up a fox news style news channel in the UK.

I'm not sure on others thoughts but personally I find the idea abhorrent. I have seen Fox news in the US and their counterpart MSNBC and the massive bipartisan focus warps points to the point of lying. I cannot see any benefit that this could bring to the British public other than the politicians that buddy up with the organisation.

What are your views?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It already exists, it's called SkyNews Have you ever watched that tripe!

I don't think they could get away with it because Ofcom would keep them in order. We have much more regulation than America when it comes to things like this. Also, our broadcasters are all supposed to be politically disinterested, I think.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It wouldnt work. We wouldnt take it. It would get hacked within a day or two and turned into one big piss take...like the gifs in your sig.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    We can always do with another comedy channel....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    It already exists, it's called SkyNews Have you ever watched that tripe!
    It is awful but under James Murdochs plan the press wouldn't be held to any degree of impartiality. It would go from being a farce to becoming a powerful joke (like the sun).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We already have it, it's called The BBC.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks James Murdoch. We all need a bit of Fox News brainwashing, propaganda pushing, lies-shoved-down-our-throats in our lives.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So a TV Daily Mail? My god.

Going by paper circulations people would most likely actually watch something like that too...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like watching Fox, it's one of the best comedy shows all round really. I mean when they say "fair and balanced" all the time I almost piss myself laughing.

I remember being in the states and North Korea had just tested a ballistic missile that could reach alaska or san fran (I think) and Fox put the local pumpkin chuckin' competition on before that. Epic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Faux News.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fox is terrible. But I trust the sensible, well educated British people to take its nonsense for exactly what it is.

I remember being in America when the 2006 tsunami hit, it took ages for any of it to appear on the news and when it did Fox had the tiniest piece of information on it and then switched straight onto the subject of 'What would happen if a Tsunami hit the West Coast'? Awful.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    sky news is not remotely as bad as fox news
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Murdoch is a businessman, he fills in markets holes and his done this pretty well. Unlike the US, we don't have a heavily religious population hence it would take a different approach. Hence, I don't see the problem with it. Anyway, fox news isn't all that bad try watching it for a day or two straight and you'd realize this, it's the personalities they bring that are bad (e.g. Bill O riley/Glenn Beck etc) who are bad.

If people want to watch it, let them
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I consider the DM to be worse than Fox News.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roaroaroar)
    Murdoch is a businessman, he fills in markets holes and his done this pretty well. Unlike the US, we don't have a heavily religious population hence it would take a different approach. Hence, I don't see the problem with it. Anyway, fox news isn't all that bad try watching it for a day or two straight and you'd realize this, it's the personalities they bring that are bad (e.g. Bill O riley/Glenn Beck etc) who are bad.

If people want to watch it, let them
    The effect that they have other than filling a market niche is that they have a disproportionate effect on the political system.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We need more new comedy on tv other than cheesy sitcoms and repetitive sketch shows.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron_xyz)
    I consider the DM to be worse than Fox News.
    DM is bad, but not as bad as Faux News.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fox News?

Emm, I'll stick with BBC kkthxbai.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it means we then have the excuse for a UK version of The Daily Show then I'm all for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    even if they did, they wouldn't get away with it being like US fox news.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.