Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop vs Netbook for uni

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm going to uni in September and I don't know whether I can get away with a Netbook or if I'll regret not buying a proper laptop. What do you think? I do actually have a laptop but 1) my ex still has it and 2) it's broken. Not sure whether it's worth biting the bullet and collecting it from the swine, then paying for a new motherboard and using that one or just forgetting about it and buying a netbook (can't really afford to buy a new laptop if I can get away with it)?

FYI It's Dell and in the year I had it I had to have the Motherboard replaced twice so I don't even know if it's worth getting it fixed only for it to break yet again!

Thanks

xx
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniroberts824)
    Hello!

I'm going to uni in September and I don't know whether I can get away with a Netbook or if I'll regret not buying a proper laptop. What do you think? I do actually have a laptop but 1) my ex still has it and 2) it's broken. Not sure whether it's worth biting the bullet and collecting it from the swine, then paying for a new motherboard and using that one or just forgetting about it and buying a netbook (can't really afford to buy a new laptop if I can get away with it)?

FYI It's Dell and in the year I had it I had to have the Motherboard replaced twice so I don't even know if it's worth getting it fixed only for it to break yet again!

Thanks

xx
    Dell? Dont do it.

Depends completely....... what are you looking to do?
    Will the fact a netbook being much lighter and for basic needs meet your needs or will require something with a bit more performance but at the cost of carrying something heavier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I'll never buy a Dell computer again!

I'm studying childrens nursing so I'll mainly be using it for researching on the internet and typing stuff up I guess, I don't really know what to expect! I don't think I'll carry it around too much as I write faster than I type so expect to take notes by hand during lectures, I just don't know if I'll regret not getting a proper laptop if I only get a netbook? Sorry I'm so vague and thanks for your reply x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm studying childrens nursing so I'll mainly be using it for researching on the internet and typing stuff up I guess, I don't really know what to expect! I don't think I'll carry it around too much as I write faster than I type so expect to take notes by hand during lectures, I just don't know if I'll regret not getting a proper laptop if I only get a netbook? Sorry I'm so vague and thanks for your reply x
    For general use (note taking etc) and for practicality, it's better to get a netbook. I would buy a laptop if you had money lying around to use for anything else that isn't work.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taliman)
    For general use (note taking etc) and for practicality, it's better to get a netbook. I would buy a laptop if you had money lying around to use for anything else that isn't work.
    This!

Thanks OP; I was just about to make the same thread lol. I have a laptop but it's just too heavy (or me whining for no reason )

Why not Dell? Mind telling me? I'm trying to buy an affordable one. Could someone suggest me something?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:

If it's just basic note taking and internet usage than getting a notebook is all you need. Laptops would be better for using running larger programs and watching HD movies on as they have a dvd drive.

You could possibly get a really cheap one for £200, then save the left over budget for a laptop if you ever needed one?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    This!

Thanks OP; I was just about to make the same thread lol. I have a laptop but it's just too heavy (or me whining for no reason )

Why not Dell? Mind telling me? I'm trying to buy an affordable one. Could someone suggest me something?
    Dell is awful in reality, Dell is more for people who buy on the high street and don't know much about computers, so essentially there ripping you off.

Asus are a good make.........depends on your budget for a netbook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought my Dell as I was completely clueless and just wanted the brightly coloured one! It was useless, the microphone didn't work from the word go (a quick Google told me this was a common problem!), the keyboard stuck you would find yourself typing an endless line of one letter and unable to stop it, or your cursor would jump to somewhere else in the text so you ended up typing in the middle of a paragraph...loads of little things like that which are just really annoying!

That's really helpful, appreciate your advice. Looks like I'll be saving myself a few quid and just get the netbook after all. Thanks so much!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought my Dell as I was completely clueless and just wanted the brightly coloured one! It was useless, the microphone didn't work from the word go (a quick Google told me this was a common problem!), the keyboard stuck you would find yourself typing an endless line of one letter and unable to stop it, or your cursor would jump to somewhere else in the text so you ended up typing in the middle of a paragraph...loads of little things like that which are just really annoying!

That's really helpful, appreciate your advice. Looks like I'll be saving myself a few quid and just get the netbook after all. Thanks so much!
    Make sure to ask for advice on here for your netbook
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had a Dell laptop and the screen fell off...everything else worked fine though!

It was a family shared laptop but I'd been saving up for my own Macbook, so my dad just bought a netbook as he only uses it to look at Facebook etc. Personally, I don't like it because the screen is really small and my eyes aren't too good, but he seems to be very happy with it! The only problem he's found is that due to the small RAM, it's hard to run Youtube videos (AKA they take longer to buffer) and using things like Skygo and BBC iPlayer just can't be done. Although, that could just be his brand of netbook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look into Lenovo
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Thanks

xx
    I am going to go against the crowd and strongly suggest you get a proper laptop. Having a full-sized keyboard will make typing more comfortable, and a decent sized screen (15"+ is perfect, but even 13") makes a big difference too if you are using it day-to-day.

Also you will find netbooks may not be much cheaper. For £200-£250 you may find a good looking netbook, but after a year or so they really start to slow down. Netbooks are generally built so they can just about handle the programs of today, not the programs of tomorrow.

For £300-£350 you can get a 15" i3-powered laptop which will offer increased comfort and longevity. *And an i5 for about £350+. Possibly less if you shop around.

On a side note, I know of very few (read: no) people who take notes on their laptops in lectures. We would probably kill them if if they were tap-tap-tapping away. Also, a 15" laptop made of plastic is hardly heavy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You make some really valid points, I don't really want to buy a netbook then have to buy another one a year or so later! Thanks so much for all your replies, you've all been really helpful xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You make some really valid points, I don't really want to buy a netbook then have to buy another one a year or so later! Thanks so much for all your replies, you've all been really helpful xx
    I have a brand new dell netbook for sale if you're interested....? PM me if you are!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop...nav=4294960198

Go for a Toshiba they are boring but definitely the most reliable and reasonably priced.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to uni with a netbook my dad's giving me (just got my fricking laptop burgled).

I've got this netbook (my dad got it from eBay)...

...and have bought myself this DVD drive for if and when I need an optical drive.

All I need it for is word processing and internet browsing. Don't see the point of getting an all bells-and-whistles laptop when it's not needed.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reasons to get a netbook:

Portability, easier to whip one open in all places, takes up less space.

Reasons to get a laptop:

More power, more battery life, easier to work on a larger screen, and easier to type.

I can't recommend ASUS enough - their battery life is fantastic. The UL range is amazing, thin, light, and reasonably affordable.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, aim for a 12 -13 inch laptop, not too big as a notebook, not too small like a netbook. Go the Goldilocks route and head into Currys/PC World to get a hands on experience with the right screen size for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Also, aim for a 12 -13 inch laptop, not too big as a notebook, not too small like a netbook. Go the Goldilocks route and head into Currys/PC World to get a hands on experience with the right screen size for you.
    The netbook I've got is 12.1 inches, so it's possible to go for one a bit bigger but obviously cheaper than a laptop.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a laptop for my degree, now I have a netbook for casual use. There's no way I could have done my degree using a netbook. It's just too small.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.