Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!!! Spot breakout and prom on friday?!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So within the past week i've randomly just came out with a lot of spots, (much more than I'm used to) on my face and some on my chest. I'm not really used to this as I've looked after my skin from an early age; cleansing, moisturising and whatknot and i've never had a breakout this bad before, ever. Now all these spots have randomly appeared on my face which would be okay I guess, except I've got a big prom this Friday coming so they couldn't have come at a worser time! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas/things they've tried that have worked in the past about getting rid of them pretty much as quickly as they've came? Please, any help would be much appreciated.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Put toothpaste on them. It kills the bacteria and dries them out. Don't leave it on for longer than like 8 hours though as it may chemically burn your skin. If they're just red, then just rub an ice cube against them to take the redness away. Put something really hot on top of them, that also kills the bacteria inside. Exfoliate your face, it'll reveal new tighter skin and might remove some of the spots in the process.

Get down to boots and buy some of their rapid action spot reducing gel stuff? Cheap as chips and works a treat. Within like 4 hours or something.

For the ones on your chest. Don't moisturise and don't put any perfume there at all. Stop using anything new you've been putting on there too. Cheap jewelry can also have the same affect if you're wearing it often with a low cut top.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustCharley)
    Put toothpaste on them. It kills the bacteria and dries them out. Don't leave it on for longer than like 8 hours though as it may chemically burn your skin. If they're just red, then just rub an ice cube against them to take the redness away. Put something really hot on top of them, that also kills the bacteria inside. Exfoliate your face, it'll reveal new tighter skin and might remove some of the spots in the process.

Get down to boots and buy some of their rapid action spot reducing gel stuff? Cheap as chips and works a treat. Within like 4 hours or something.

For the ones on your chest. Don't moisturise and don't put any perfume there at all. Stop using anything new you've been putting on there too. Cheap jewelry can also have the same affect if you're wearing it often with a low cut top.
    Gonna try the toothpaste idea now, thanks and thanks for the other ideas too. Might try and pick up the rapid action gel thing tomorrow, are you on about the one by clearasil? They're not so bad on my chest thankfully and seem to be calming down. I hardly ever apply perfume to the area, dont think i've used any new products recently and I can never be bothered with jewellery. I live in North-East England so me wearing low cut tops is a rare occurrance if i dont want to catch hypothermia! hahaa but yeahh, just have no idea why/where they've come from. :-/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh toothpaste works definately

If you're interested in buying anything, you should try Clean & Clear cleanser (it comes in a blue bottle, a clear liquid), I use it every day and it gets rid of all the spots or pimples that happen to pop up. They do a good moisturiser too, which helps with the redness.

Hope you're ready for the prom by friday, if they're not fully gone, perhaps you could try and cover them up with a little light powder? (nothing too heavy, and remember to blend, keeping it the same colour as your skin tone.) x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paigieee.Xx)
    Gonna try the toothpaste idea now, thanks and thanks for the other ideas too. Might try and pick up the rapid action gel thing tomorrow, are you on about the one by clearasil? They're not so bad on my chest thankfully and seem to be calming down. I hardly ever apply perfume to the area, dont think i've used any new products recently and I can never be bothered with jewellery. I live in North-East England so me wearing low cut tops is a rare occurrance if i dont want to catch hypothermia! hahaa but yeahh, just have no idea why/where they've come from. :-/
    Naa it's a Boots own brand one surprisingly but I think it works best. This one: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Skin-C...-25ml_1110481/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustCharley)
    Naa it's a Boots own brand one surprisingly but I think it works best. This one: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Skin-C...-25ml_1110481/
    Ahhh brilliant thank you, its cheaper too! ;D haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    Yeahh toothpaste works definately

If you're interested in buying anything, you should try Clean & Clear cleanser (it comes in a blue bottle, a clear liquid), I use it every day and it gets rid of all the spots or pimples that happen to pop up. They do a good moisturiser too, which helps with the redness.

Hope you're ready for the prom by friday, if they're not fully gone, perhaps you could try and cover them up with a little light powder? (nothing too heavy, and remember to blend, keeping it the same colour as your skin tone.) x
    Would I get those from Boots as well? and I hope so too! I'm getting my make-up done professionally so hopefully they'll be able to do something so they're not too obvious if they haven't cleared up. Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    - If you have any antiseptic stuff in the house, like TCP or Savlon, that can help - use some cotton buds and dab it on the spots after cleansing & moisturising, use a new one for each so you don't spread germs

- DON'T pick them because they'll leave scars: unless you do this, which is the safest method I've found;
    If they get to the point when they're totally gross and are sort of red with a big bump of pussy yellow stuff at the top, which looks ready to burst, you can verrryy gently pop that (wash your hands thoroughly first, and cleanse around the area first especially if you ahve anything antiseptic you can use to kill the germs around it), but don't be tempted to squeeze too much because then blood will come out and scab/scar. Then swab over it again with more antiseptic stuff, which often helps stuff heal too. And don't be temptesd to poke/squeeze them
    But that's a last resort

Oh, and don't be tempted to stop moisturising, even if you ahve pily skin - drying them out isn;t really that helpful, your skin wil just produce more oil. Buit like these guys above me said, some spot-gel from Boots is always handy to ahve around hope they clear up!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Todd)
    - If you have any antiseptic stuff in the house, like TCP or Savlon, that can help - use some cotton buds and dab it on the spots after cleansing & moisturising, use a new one for each so you don't spread germs

- DON'T pick them because they'll leave scars: unless you do this, which is the safest method I've found;
    If they get to the point when they're totally gross and are sort of red with a big bump of pussy yellow stuff at the top, which looks ready to burst, you can verrryy gently pop that (wash your hands thoroughly first, and cleanse around the area first especially if you ahve anything antiseptic you can use to kill the germs around it), but don't be tempted to squeeze too much because then blood will come out and scab/scar. Then swab over it again with more antiseptic stuff, which often helps stuff heal too. And don't be temptesd to poke/squeeze them
    But that's a last resort

Oh, and don't be tempted to stop moisturising, even if you ahve pily skin - drying them out isn;t really that helpful, your skin wil just produce more oil. Buit like these guys above me said, some spot-gel from Boots is always handy to ahve around hope they clear up!!!
    Been trying savlon because thats worked in the past but seem to be fighting a losing battle this time around! This is gonna sound like a very strange method but my dad once taught me that using a bobby pin like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Bobby_pin.jpg and putting tthe head of the spot in the round bit (on the left in the picture) and pressing down, the spot bursts and leaves a mark for a few minutes but dies down, there's no scars then and you don't have the issue of getting horrible stuff on your hands! I then usually put a lot of anti-septic on and it soon clears up but this time, none of them have got too bumpy or appear to have 'heads' on to pop. :/ Sorry if that was all a bit too disgusting! hahaa but i've found its actually a good method! :P I won't, I usually just put moisturiser on at night though as my skin does go really oily during the day if I do it in the morning for some reason. Thank you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sounds weird, but use dipersable aspirin. Just use the normal supermarket stuff, but not the coated one because getting it to dissolve will be a nightmare. Use a little water one on or two tablets to make a paste and dab it onto the spots, leaving it to dry. It'll start to flake off after a while then just wash it off. It reduces redness and helps clear them up. Its worth a shot, and if it does work you've only lost like 20p so its a great addition to all the other stuff people have recommended already.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    sudocream, which you can get in boots/chemists, leave it on over night and it goes instantly!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been trying savlon because thats worked in the past but seem to be fighting a losing battle this time around! This is gonna sound like a very strange method but my dad once taught me that using a bobby pin like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Bobby_pin.jpg and putting tthe head of the spot in the round bit (on the left in the picture) and pressing down, the spot bursts and leaves a mark for a few minutes but dies down, there's no scars then and you don't have the issue of getting horrible stuff on your hands! I then usually put a lot of anti-septic on and it soon clears up but this time, none of them have got too bumpy or appear to have 'heads' on to pop. :/ Sorry if that was all a bit too disgusting! hahaa but i've found its actually a good method! :P I won't, I usually just put moisturiser on at night though as my skin does go really oily during the day if I do it in the morning for some reason. Thank you!
    Ahh I've used to bobby pin method too it's a good one if done right, ideally you want to sterilise that bobby pin beforehand - again, I dip it in TCP (my bathroom stinks if I have a spot that needs dealing with :L). You can actually buy metal tools for doing this, look for blackhead remover tools in the Body Shop or somewhere BUT be careful, and do it right to avoid scars - do a facial steam or cover your face with a hot washcloth for a few minutes before you do it, to open to pores up, which makes it come out easier meaning you're less likely to press too hard and damage the pore. Then press really gently until it comes out. And be careful, don;t overuse it, because I've heard that done incorrectly it can damage the pore, sort of leave it all open which means you'll keep getting a spot there - something which I believe, I used to have one of those metal tools and got a bit 'trigger-happy' with it and there are some places where I get recurring spots now... =/

Sorry for such long-winded advice :') but it's got to be fairly good, because I ahve really clear skin right now - just a few barely-there blackhead, and some redness which is more sun damage than spots :L
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shennie)
    Sounds weird, but use dipersable aspirin. Just use the normal supermarket stuff, but not the coated one because getting it to dissolve will be a nightmare. Use a little water one on or two tablets to make a paste and dab it onto the spots, leaving it to dry. It'll start to flake off after a while then just wash it off. It reduces redness and helps clear them up. Its worth a shot, and if it does work you've only lost like 20p so its a great addition to all the other stuff people have recommended already.
    ahhh that's kinda cool! thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Todd)

Ahh I've used to bobby pin method too it's a good one if done right, ideally you want to sterilise that bobby pin beforehand - again, I dip it in TCP (my bathroom stinks if I have a spot that needs dealing with :L). You can actually buy metal tools for doing this, look for blackhead remover tools in the Body Shop or somewhere BUT be careful, and do it right to avoid scars - do a facial steam or cover your face with a hot washcloth for a few minutes before you do it, to open to pores up, which makes it come out easier meaning you're less likely to press too hard and damage the pore. Then press really gently until it comes out. And be careful, don;t overuse it, because I've heard that done incorrectly it can damage the pore, sort of leave it all open which means you'll keep getting a spot there - something which I believe, I used to have one of those metal tools and got a bit 'trigger-happy' with it and there are some places where I get recurring spots now... =/

Sorry for such long-winded advice :') but it's got to be fairly good, because I ahve really clear skin right now - just a few barely-there blackhead, and some redness which is more sun damage than spots :L
    No! Its totally fine, the more advice the better to be honest hahaa that's good, I thought you'd think I was really strange but yeahhh I'll try and remember about sterilising it first but its just redness I need to reduce at the minute because none of them are spots that seem to be ready to pop! I think the remover tools sound like a good idea but I really don't trust myself not to go over the top with them! :-/ hahaa but seriously, thanks for the all the advice-appreciated :-) x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    use toothpaste. It is a short term problem solver, but works a charm if you are going to your prom soon!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god the world's going to end...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had a big spot, and used the clearasil (dunno how to spell it) rapid action, and it went down flat, and a really think layer of skin comes off where your spot was, and hey presto, its gone! It is a bit more expensive than the boots one but I think it will definitely work. (if your skins not too sensitive)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellaUS)
    sudocream, which you can get in boots/chemists, leave it on over night and it goes instantly!
    I do that! Good old mighty Sudocrem!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ahhh that's kinda cool! thanks
    You're welcome
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toothpaste I agree as well, works fantastically! What I do is apply sudocrem or toothpaste on the spot for about 8 hours, topping it up every so often. Then hold a warm flannel to the spot for about a minute and gently squeeze it or use the brilliant bobby pin method! Repeat with flannel and squeezing until the spot feels flat. Then splash the area with cold water and apply something to quickly heal it and remove redness. The best thing I've ever found for this is Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair! A big blob overnight makes it disappear! If that's not available, savlon or aloe Vera gel, available from Boots or Holland and Barrett also works a treat!

For your chest, I also have this problem. The skin there is less delicate and sensitive so take a cotton pad, soak it in some medical alcohol diluted with water (about 1 part alcohol to 4 parts water) or some surgical spirits and apply for about 10/15 seconds. It might sting but don't worry. Apply Vaseline straight afterwards to stop any irritation then after about an hour, remove the Vaseline and repeat. After a few times of this, simply put on the healers as I described above (night repair, savlon, aloe Vera) and voila! Clear skin!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.