The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is QMUL preferable for Law to my other options

First of all, I'm sorry if that's the wrong part of the forum to bring this up, but as my nickname says I'm only new in this place. My question is, do you guys think that Queen Mary should be my firm choice, knowing that my other options are Exeter, Kent and Newcastle?

When I applied I thought that QMUL was a brilliant university, being ranked 4th for Law in the Guardian's Tables after Oxbridge and LSE. So when I got my offer it seemed to be the obvious choice for me, because it was far more prestigious than the other universities I applied to. But recently I've been very disappointed at reading plenty of negative comments about it on the internet - it turns out that the popular opinion is that QMUL is inferior to the top 15 or even 20 universities in the UK.

So do you people think that QMUL's reputation's worth it the considerably more stressful and expensive life in London or should I go for one of my other options? Any reasonable opinions will be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by newinhere
First of all, I'm sorry if that's the wrong part of the forum to bring this up, but as my nickname says I'm only new in this place. My question is, do you guys think that Queen Mary should be my firm choice, knowing that my other options are Exeter, Kent and Newcastle?

When I applied I thought that QMUL was a brilliant university, being ranked 4th for Law in the Guardian's Tables after Oxbridge and LSE. So when I got my offer it seemed to be the obvious choice for me, because it was far more prestigious than the other universities I applied to. But recently I've been very disappointed at reading plenty of negative comments about it on the internet - it turns out that the popular opinion is that QMUL is inferior to the top 15 or even 20 universities in the UK.

So do you people think that QMUL's reputation's worth it the considerably more stressful and expensive life in London or should I go for one of my other options? Any reasonable opinions will be appreciated.

Well the law firms definitely look at their graduates.......I do a different subject there, but in the first few weeks there was a major law fair going on.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Lol, you don't wanna go to QMUL cause you read some comments on TSR going "omdz QMUL is in Mile End and it's rubbish because there's too many Azns there!!!!!1111".

:rolleyes:
Reply 3
I recommend you actually go down and have a look at the university if you haven't already.

Personally, I would put QMUL as an insurance. Although it's becoming a Russell Group university this year, it still isn't a particularly well known university. Law is very competitive and employers do look at what university you went to. You could be up against people who studied Law at Oxbridge or something like that. I think Newcastle or Exeter would look more impressive than Queen Marys, despite them asking for the same grades. I think they'd be more likely to pick a 2:1 from Newcastle than a 2:1 from QMUL, for example.

But, it all depends on where you see yourself living and where you think you would enjoy yourself the most! QMUL has a really nice campus, but the location does tend to put people off.. If you're not a huge fan of busy city locations, then perhaps it's not for you. But you should visit any way to make sure rather than take our word for it!
Reply 4
Original post by Elzie
I recommend you actually go down and have a look at the university if you haven't already.

Personally, I would put QMUL as an insurance. Although it's becoming a Russell Group university this year, it still isn't a particularly well known university. Law is very competitive and employers do look at what university you went to. You could be up against people who studied Law at Oxbridge or something like that. I think Newcastle or Exeter would look more impressive than Queen Marys, despite them asking for the same grades. I think they'd be more likely to pick a 2:1 from Newcastle than a 2:1 from QMUL, for example.

But, it all depends on where you see yourself living and where you think you would enjoy yourself the most! QMUL has a really nice campus, but the location does tend to put people off.. If you're not a huge fan of busy city locations, then perhaps it's not for you. But you should visit any way to make sure rather than take our word for it!

QMUL is far more impressive especially their law department, the number of firms that come for just law students is very good compared to the likes of Exeter, etc and we aren't to far off Canary wharf either.
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
QMUL is far more impressive especially their law department, the number of firms that come for just law students is very good compared to the likes of Exeter, etc and we aren't to far off Canary wharf either.

I should be honest, I don't really know much about the Law side of QMUL. I was just basing what I said on what I have personally experienced from visiting open days at the departments. Plus even though it has a great amount of firms, you know how unjustly snobby employers can be about universities. :rolleyes: Hopefully, the Russell Group status will change that though..

Do you study Law at QMUL?
Reply 6
Original post by Elzie
I should be honest, I don't really know much about the Law side of QMUL. I was just basing what I said on what I have personally experienced from visiting open days at the departments. Plus even though it has a great amount of firms, you know how unjustly snobby employers can be about universities. :rolleyes: Hopefully, the Russell Group status will change that though..

Do you study Law at QMUL?

Nope, I study something else, my mates do Law.

But these "Snobby employers" come to QMUL regardless because it's Law is highly prized, especially their graduates.
Reply 7
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Lol, you don't wanna go to QMUL cause you read some comments on TSR going "omdz QMUL is in Mile End and it's rubbish because there's too many Azns there!!!!!1111".

:rolleyes:

actually its Mile End location is the last thing that bothers me. the city where i come from would probably be considered a less safe place to be than this part of London and i also doubt asians could scare me :biggrin: nevertheless i made this topic because im from overseas, i've never been to the uk and can't afford to visit the unis atm so any inside info would be helpful
Reply 8

It all depends on what you want to do. I'm inclined to believe that whoever says that QM 'is inferior to the top 15 or even 20 universities in the UK' knows little about its law department. The entry standard for UK students is A*AA, how could the students not be good enough? Also, I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't agree with the fact that the teaching is excellent.
As somebody has already mentioned, law firms target QM graduates, but they also target those from Exeter and Newcastle. Some would say that QM is better than Exeter, others would say that Exeter university is more prestigious and therefore you should study at Exeter.
I think that you should do more research: find out more about the course, accommodation, teaching and choose that university in which you think you would achieve the best results. Nobody is going to tell you: "Oh, you graduated with a first, but it's a first from QM, it doesn't count". Look at the extracurricular activities that each university offers and see which one suits you best. In terms of reputation, there is not much difference between them.
Reply 9

Queen Mary is a mediocre university not a brilliant one, and it is still better than Kent, Exeter and Newcastle for law. It's a no brainer really. Kent is the worst university you've listed - for law and generally. At the end of the day though, a QMUL 2:1 isn't worth anymore to an employer/law firm than an Exeter or Newcastle 2:1 - and they're pretty comparably average universities overall - go where you want to go. For me, QMUL is a no brainer out of those because a) it's a better law school and b) it's in London. It's grim up north and boring in the country; London is the best city in the world.
Reply 10
Thank you guys for sharing your opinion. I've been doing a pretty thorough research of all four unis and I've come to the conclusion that QM's law department does seem more impressive than the others. The overall reputation of Exeter and Newcastle might be better, probably due to their being older institutions, but their law departments don't seem to be as strong as QMUL's. So I'm almost sure I'll be firming Queen Mary now, I'm still hesitating about my insurance though.
Thank you guys for sharing your opinion. I've been doing a pretty thorough research of all four unis and I've come to the conclusion that QM's law department does seem more impressive than the others. The overall reputation of Exeter and Newcastle might be better, probably due to their being older institutions, but their law departments don't seem to be as strong as QMUL's. So I'm almost sure I'll be firming Queen Mary now, I'm still hesitating about my insurance though.

Just a side, QM is older than all of them. Exeter was established in the 50s, Newcastle was officially created in the 60s with the medical school dating back to the 1830s. QM was created in 1882/5 - and its medical schools date back to 1123, making it, I think, almost the oldest uni, or at least perhaps the oldest med school, in the country.
Reply 12

You need to be a bit careful in using league tables to determine prestige, particularly as they fluctuate. Last year in either the Times or Sunday Times table I think Newcastle was second in the country.

Newcastle.Exeter and Queen Mary are all excellent universities. Queen Mary, broadly speaking, probably does have the stronger law school but I don't think you'll really notice any difference as an undergraduate. The standard of student intake and teaching will be comparable. The only thing is that Queen Mary has the London factor (which in terms of career propsects I feel is probably overplayed but it's up for debate).

It seems to me that Queen Mary gets a lot of stick from applicants and undergraduates for being in (arguably) a less desirable part of London, with some rivalry from UCL, LSE and Imperial. Much of this is just people spouting crap, to be honest. If you've heard concerns from current or previous students about the standard of teaching, then obviously look into this, but try not to take much notice of the snobbery from applicants and undergraduates, most of whom haven't set foot in QM.

Original post by Elzie

Queen Mary, as a major university and constituent college of the University of London, is a perfectly well known university. It will certainly be known by employers, who will have attended Queen Mary themselves, worked alongside people who attended Queen Mary, or have received applications (and possibly taken) new graduates from Queen Mary.

I think you overplay how "snobby" employers are. Generally speaking, university name isn't of great importance. In law specifically, it may carry some importance, but this will vary by individual firm and whether we're talking high street firm or Silver/Magic Circle firm. Even among the Magic Circle firms Queen Mary is recognised and "respected". It hosts major law fairs throughout the academic year and is targeted by major firms.

Firms will not target certain universities, and host events there, if they were "snobby" and didn't want graduates from that institution to apply to them.

Firms certainly won't be more likely to pick a Newcastle or Exeter graduate. Academic performance, experience, personal qualities,performance at interview....these will be the deciding factor. Things are rarely equal and, even when they are, I doubt a Queen Mary graduate will be frowned upon.

Original post by Elzie
Hopefully, the Russell Group status will change that though..

Well, I don't think anything needs changing. Besides, employers are unlikely to know the membership of the Russell Group and will be aware of Queen Mary joining (some perhaps thought it already was in the Russell Group).

It was already in the 1994 Group and well recognised.

Original post by Rancorous
Queen Mary is a mediocre university not a brilliant one, and it is still better than Kent, Exeter and Newcastle for law. It's a no brainer really. Kent is the worst university you've listed - for law and generally. At the end of the day though, a QMUL 2:1 isn't worth anymore to an employer/law firm than an Exeter or Newcastle 2:1 - and they're pretty comparably average universities overall - go where you want to go. For me, QMUL is a no brainer out of those because a) it's a better law school and b) it's in London. It's grim up north and boring in the country; London is the best city in the world.

Newcastle - consistantly the best student city and one of the most exciting cities in Europe :wink:

I think you're being a bit unfair on Kent. Kent, along with Reading, are (or certainly were) among the best value law schools in the south. I wager that an undergraduate probably wouldn't notice much difference in teaching, and little different in student quality, at Kent compared to the others. In my own experience I was impressed with the Kent graduates in regional firms I'm aware of, often in similar numbers as those form Newcastle or Warwick.

Original post by Rancorous
Just a side, QM is older than all of them. Exeter was established in the 50s, Newcastle was officially created in the 60s with the medical school dating back to the 1830s. QM was created in 1882/5 - and its medical schools date back to 1123, making it, I think, almost the oldest uni, or at least perhaps the oldest med school, in the country.

Without being too pedantic, but not just its medical school. As you probably know it was two or three teaching colleges of Durham (originally just a medical school but expanded to include other departments, such as physical sciences, before becoming independent). Still not a law school, I don't think, as that was entirely based in Durham as far as I'm aware.
Original post by River85

Newcastle - consistantly the best student city and one of the most exciting cities in Europe :wink:

Was just referring to the weather!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending