Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MyTechGuy

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    bad experience

My ps3 had problems, so i sent my ps3 to this company, everything was going ok they've done diagnosis and all until they sent me message saying that I needed to pay extra for parts?! total cost of parts 69 pounds! :mad: Now i was not willing to pay since i can just buy a second hand ps3 off gumtree for less than 80 pound and add to the fact that I've already paid 39 pound to them which they've clearly stated on their website ' We repair any fault' for 39 pound :confused: so i requested cancellation which they accepted but won't refund me the 39 pound I paid!

very dodgy company, avoid at all cost! they appear legitimate and are but hide all the details in the terms and conditions! so lost 39 pound for nothing they've done **** all but perform diagnostic and have the audacity to ask for more cash to cover further repairs!

http://www.mytechguyabc.co.uk/consolerepair/
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with that?

They're repairing it for £39. They're charging you more for the parts, obviously. That's standard practice amongst 100% of repair companies...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    What's wrong with that?

They're repairing it for £39. They're charging you more for the parts, obviously. That's standard practice amongst 100% of repair companies...
    yeah, but I find the extra charges unreasonable considering they didn't tell me about it initially now they asked whether to proceed or cancel the repair and i chose cancel, so i expected to get the money i paid originally back from them but no they have done nothing with the ps3, apart from performing diagnostic which can't be 39 pound surely

i suppose this is a bad case of misinformation on their part they seriosuly need to update their website because it is nothing more than marketing ploy and robbery.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    What can I do?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    What can I do?
    [EDIT] I'm finding their URI quite amusing... you trusted a company that couldn't get the domain they wanted, so they bought a similar one and stuck "abc" on the end to make it unique. They sound about as legitimate as some of the bogus sites that I deal with on a day to day basis. I'm surprised that it's not a .biz domain.

As for their scam, their website is pretty misleading, but it does say in the T&C that replacement parts are not included:

For My Tech Guy™ to complete some repairs, internal access to device(s) components may be required. This will invalidate any manufacturers warranties and destroy any manufacturer’s warranty seal. Performance Booster and fixed service prices exclude cost of parts which if required will be detailed in your diagnosis update. Your right to our NO Fix NO Fee policy and Customer Cancellation policy applies.
    It's a bit sneaky - you could try Trading Standards.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    [EDIT] I'm finding their URI quite amusing... you trusted a company that couldn't get the domain they wanted, so they bought a similar one and stuck "abc" on the end to make it unique. They sound about as legitimate as some of the bogus sites that I deal with on a day to day basis. I'm surprised that it's not a .biz domain.

As for their scam, their website is pretty misleading, but it does say in the T&C that replacement parts are not included:

It's a bit sneaky - you could try Trading Standards.
    i thought it was too good to be true, I should have trusted my instinct
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was too good to be true, I should have trusted my instinct
    You should have read the terms and conditions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    70 quid is about the cost for a ps3 repair.

Most places diagnose for free though (you cover shipping back and forth in some cases).

perhaps try repairing it yourself?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    glad i am not the only person who has a problem with them it is a scam.

i don't understand why these companies are allowed to exist? clearly a fraud.
    Because people grumble about them but don't report them. I'm dubious of a site which claims its head office is in Lancashire, but the domain's WHOIS info says it's registered to an Anonymous registrant in Northants.

Code:
    Domain name:
            mytechguyabc.co.uk

Registrant:
            Andrew Dayman

Trading as: 

Registrant type:
            UK Individual

Registrant's address:
            Unknown
            Northampton
            Unknown
            NN3 9UN
            United Kingdom

Registrar:
            Register.com Inc t/a British Telecom [Tag = BTNAMES]
            URL: http://www.btconnect.com

Relevant dates:
            Registered on: 03-Aug-2009
            Expiry date:  03-Aug-2013
            Last updated:  01-Sep-2011

Registration status:
            Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
            dns1.register.com
            dns2.register.com

WHOIS lookup made at 14:54:00 12-Jun-2012
    Network Whois record

Queried whois.arin.net with "n 209.235.144.9"...

NetRange:       209.235.128.0 - 209.235.159.255
    CIDR:           209.235.128.0/19
    OriginAS:       
    NetName:        MEGA-6
    NetHandle:      NET-209-235-128-0-1
    Parent:         NET-209-0-0-0-0
    NetType:        Direct Allocation
    RegDate:        2006-09-28
    Updated:        2012-02-24
    Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-209-235-128-0-1

OrgName:        InternetNamesForBusiness.com
    OrgId:          INFB
    Address:        110 East Broward Blvd
    Address:        Suite 1650
    City:           Fort Lauderdale
    StateProv:      FL
    PostalCode:     33301
    RegDate:        
    Updated:        2011-10-19
    Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/INFB

OrgAbuseHandle: ZI51-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName:   InternetNamesForBusiness
    OrgAbusePhone:  +1-800-322-9438 
    OrgAbuseEmail:  admin@internetnamesforbusiness.com
    OrgAbuseRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZI51-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: ZI51-ARIN
    OrgTechName:   InternetNamesForBusiness
    OrgTechPhone:  +1-800-322-9438 
    OrgTechEmail:  admin@internetnamesforbusiness.com
    OrgTechRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZI51-ARIN

RTechHandle: ZI51-ARIN
    RTechName:   InternetNamesForBusiness
    RTechPhone:  +1-800-322-9438 
    RTechEmail:  admin@internetnamesforbusiness.com
    RTechRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZI51-ARIN
    [EDIT] It's not even a registered limited company. The site gives the impression of a slick professional outfit, but it's a pretty small business with a few employees according to my research. The good news is that it's not a complete fly-by-night. The company has been around for nearly 3 years, which correlates with its initial registration date, and providing that the registrant of the domain is the owner of the business, he's not on the Disqualified Directors list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It appears that the website is misleading as the only mention of an additional charge for parts is hidden away inside the terms and conditions. You could report them to your local TSO and the ASA. They seem to offer a genuine cancellation policy however, so you should be able to get your console back without having to pay the £39 fee.

Good luck, keep us informed of how you get on!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studiousgeek)
    It appears that the website is misleading as the only mention of an additional charge for parts is hidden away inside the terms and conditions. You could report them to your local TSO and the ASA. They seem to offer a genuine cancellation policy however, so you should be able to get your console back without having to pay the £39 fee.

Good luck, keep us informed of how you get on!
    I got the console back, but not the 39 pound, unfortunately
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    [EDIT] I'm finding their URI quite amusing... you trusted a company that couldn't get the domain they wanted, so they bought a similar one and stuck "abc" on the end to make it unique.

The exact thing I saw when I first saw the URL.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 18, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.