The Student Room Group

GCSE maths exam 11th June (WJEC)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any idea what will come up on paper 2?

I think the most likely questions will be trigonometry and volumes etc, but I've completely forgot what was on paper 1 lol.

Histograms, function transformations, variation, sequences, congruent triangles and similar shapes might come up as well?

Also, I hope there's no stupid "Quality of Written Communication" question. Me no write good English.
Original post by HerroKitty

I think the most likely questions will be trigonometry and volumes etc, but I've completely forgot what was on paper 1 lol.

Histograms, function transformations, variation, sequences, congruent triangles and similar shapes might come up as well?

Also, I hope there's no stupid "Quality of Written Communication" question. Me no write good English.

What's variation :|
Reply 42
I think that there's a QWC on paper 2 aswell according to the spec. Paper two I expect will be mainly what you have mentioned above but maybe upper and lower bounds, trial and improvement, compound interest/depreciation and exchange rates as well
Reply 43
Original post by shadab786ahmed

Direct and inverse proportion?

like y = k/x

or y = k x

EDIT: Like above said, direct and inverse proportion.

It could be anything there will def be a Quality of Written Communication one which would be much tougher and remember coversion of units WELL other than that trig will come up and all the best of luck!
Phew! What did you get for the area bound by a graph?? My answer was something between 75-80

If you're talking about the last question then I got 82.5 units square :s-smilie:
I've rechecked it based on the English paper (since I go to a Welsh school we fill out the Welsh paper and get to take the English paper home) and as far as I can tell I'm right.

Also the QWC question seemed a bit odd seeing as there wasn't much writing involved with the question.
like y = k/x

or y = k x

EDIT: Like above said, direct and inverse proportion.

Oh we just called it direct and inverse proportion :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Choccie Milk
If you're talking about the last question then I got 82.5 units square :s-smilie:
I've rechecked it based on the English paper (since I go to a Welsh school we fill out the Welsh paper and get to take the English paper home) and as far as I can tell I'm right.

Also the QWC question seemed a bit odd seeing as there wasn't much writing involved with the question.

Yeah I think I got something like that too!! I used integration to get that... And then it said trapezium rules... So it will give some leeway... :biggrin: did you get
111 degrees for the eight mark and x = 10cm for the seven mark??
Yeah I think I got something like that too!! I used integration to get that... And then it said trapezium rules... So it will give some leeway... :biggrin: did you get
111 degrees for the eight mark and x = 10cm for the seven mark??

Yeah
Yeah

Thats good then! Do you want to post an unofficial mark scheme? :wink:
Reply 51

What was the question?
Original post by Tycho
What was the question?

The area under the graph of a curve

The angles marked x in a shape

The shape question where you formed a quadratic.
Reply 53
The area under the graph of a curve

The angles marked x in a shape

The shape question where you formed a quadratic.

Didn't do the exam. Just curious as to the specifics of the question - was going to work it out and see if I agree with your answer. :colone:
Original post by Tycho
Didn't do the exam. Just curious as to the specifics of the question - was going to work it out and see if I agree with your answer. :colone:

Can't remember sorry but one was:
Find the area bound by the graph y= 25 - x^2 using the trapezium rule. Use ordinates x= 0,1,2,3,4,5.
(edited 11 years ago)
uploadfromtaptalk1339517672333.jpg

Here it is sorry if it's not clear enough. I can take another picture of just the graph if you want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
uploadfromtaptalk1339517672333.jpg

Here it is sorry if it's not clear enough. I can take another picture of just the graph if you want.

a) at x=0 gradient = 0

b) at x=2 gradient = -4

c) Area under curve is 8313units283\frac{1}{3} units^2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Can't remember sorry but one was:
Find the area bound by the graph y= 25 - x^2 using the trapezium rule. Use ordinates x= 0,1,2,3,4,5.

Answer above...
Original post by Dougieowner
Better start Chemistry revision now!

I don't know for WJEC, but I was talking about general answers. You can write something that's actually right and get it wrong because the examiners aren't looking for that and they're sometimes very specific with key words. I hope I make sense...

I had:
-4 (from differentiation but -3 ish from tangent)
I got like 82 or something ::s-smilie:
Reply 59
I had:
-4 (from differentiation but -3 ish from tangent)
I got like 82 or something ::s-smilie:

Well you got the first two right, and will probably pick up some marks for the last one, although it's definately the wrong answer.

EDIT: this establishes the area between the graph and the x-axis. Half it gives the correct answer.

If you think about the graph as a rectangle and triangle and calculate their respective areas, then it gives you a rough idea of where your answer should lie.

For instance if you made a rectangle 10 base by 25 height the area would be 250 units^2. If you then made it into a triangle the area would be 125units^2. The graphs is somewhere in between those two, as it's greater than a triangle (as the lines slope outwards from where the straight lines of a triangle would be), but it's clearly well within the rectangle. Can also determine that it's closer to the area of the triangle than the rectangle, thus narrowing the possible answers further.

Integration gives the exact answer which is 16623166\frac{2}{3} EDIT: and half of this is 831383\frac{1}{3}
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending