The Student Room Group

Just done the first test of my GCSE maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilyflower16
I thought we were talking about the AQA exam.

The thread is talking about AQA which is why it is ok
Thought so. Just I saw someone commenting in big green writing about it being a discussion for Edexcel- which I'm sure it wasn't. The more I think about todays exam the more I want to cry. Boo hoo.
Paper 1 is always absolute ****e, like completely
Original post by TenOfThem
Please note that this exam can not be discussed until tomorrow

I suggest that you delete your post as it could get you warning points

y i didnt know that ???
Reply 24
Hi guys where can i get 11 june 2012 non cal ( edxcel maths)

Many thanks in advance!!! :smile:

plz A.S.A.P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dina12
Hi guys where can i get 11 june 2012 non cal ( edxcel maths)

Many thanks in advance!!! :smile:

plz A.S.A.P

u cant they blocked all treads ; and everything so u have to wait till the exzam is over in other countries
Original post by SubAtomic
I did AQA also.

If you are 20 then why did your teacher put you in for the higher tier?

I did higher tier GCSE last year and no way would the teacher have put me in for it if they didn't think I was capable of achieving better than a C as it looks bad on the schools/colleges when students fail, likely the teacher would have put you in for the foundation unless they thought you could achieve a B or higher.

You haven't been doing your homework have you :indiff:

You never actually stated how many questions you left blank or didn't try so you may have done better than you think for all we know, ambiguity is prevalent on TSR.

What has the age of the OP got to do with whether they're put in for foundation or higher?
Reply 27
mkay :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by hello my name is
u cant they blocked all treads ; and everything so u have to wait till the exzam is over in other countries

mkay so will we get it after but i want to see the mark scheme before the result!!!!

thanks in advance! :smile:
I don't think they will release mark schemes until results are out!
Reply 30
OMG i can not waite untill result day, they should release it before: that is sad!!!

but thanks anyway lilyflower16
Oh how very patronising. I can assure you I am perfectly aware that a higher paper is harder than a foundation.

You haven't really answered the question. What has age got to do with it? How do you know the OP isn't capable of achieving higher than a C? You don't. So therefore making comments about age is a bit silly really.
Because if they are at college doing it then it is up to the teacher what paper the pupil gets signed up for, at colleges they have a different system to schools and my teacher only signed people they thought were capable of B+ up for the higher, the grade boundaries may be lower but I can assure you that a higher paper is harder than a foundation paper otherwise everyone would be doing the higher paper, logic?

Something to do with funding, all colleges are bothered about is getting as many C's or whatever it is, look into it if you will but I heard it from the horses mouth so to speak so I don't really have any interest in proving/disproving what the teacher told me.

Most people do take the higher paper. My sister did the foundation paper in March and got a D; the grade boundary for a C was 75%. Her maths teacher then put everybody onto the higher June paper, because the boundary for a C is only 28-30%. Knowing most of the foundation course is enough to get a C in higher; it is easier to get a C on higher, as you need to get less questions right.

It's actually easier for people to get a C on higher than foundation, as about 30% of the higher paper is D or C grade questions, which lower grade students can answer, which normally gets students over the C grade boundary anyway. On the harder questions that they can't do, they'll get marks for attempting to use a formula, or attempting working out, even if it is completely wrong. A lot of these marks wouldn't be awarded on the foundation paper, because questions that use these formulas aren't asked. They'll have been briefly taught the formulas by their teachers, who gave them about 3 weeks of higher level lessons.

For example, if a question on the higher paper asks the student to use the quadratic formula, the they'll get a mark for stating the rule on the paper, or attempting to use it even by sticking random numbers in. You couldn't get marks like this on the foundation paper, because most formulas aren't asked about, such as the sine, cos and tan rules, the quadratic formula and advanced factorisation.

Original post by lilyflower16

I think before in this thread you said the mark scheme comes out on results day. The grade boundaries come out the day before results day, put the paper and the mark scheme won't be out until some time next year. That's why you can't see any March papers and mark schemes now, even though the results day for the March papers was a few weeks ago.
(edited 11 years ago)
What I don't understand SubAtomic is that you're associating the OPs age with their ability. Just because they're 20 and sitting a GCSE isn't really any reflection on their ability. We don't know the circumstances under which the OP is taking the exam.

Again I said the OP is likely at college, different system to schools. Why even offer a foundation then if what you say is true? Seems a bit odd. Are you a teacher/examiner?

I digress...

Foundation is usually offered first throughout the 2 years of GCSE, using the modular course, as students are able to learn the easier content (the majority of which is aimed at D grade, pushing into C, although obviously these students struggle a lot with the C grade topics) much better throughout the 2 years than the higher content. My sister got all D grades in her maths modules in year 10, and got another D grade in her March module of year 11. Higher is used at the end of year 11 to give the best chance of getting a C. If sitting the foundation papers for 2 years hasn't delivered a C grade, something needs to change.

That something is to go onto the linear higher paper at the end of year 11 with a few bits of higher knowledge (3/4 weeks of higher lessons), and with that and the knowledge from the foundation course, it is easier to get a C on higher at the end of the 2 years, as the boundaries are so much lower.

I'm not a teacher or examiner, I just know how things work. This is what all maths teachers at my school recommend. Using higher is really the only option when students go through 2 years not getting higher than a D. If they get a C over the 2 years of foundation and get C grades in year 10 and in March of year 11, then foundation was good for them. Higher is good for students who still haven't got a C after March of year 11.
(edited 11 years ago)
OK you're clearly not understanding what I am trying to say.
Original post by Flyteryder
I'm not a teacher or examiner, I just know how things work.

Well I am and you don't.
Original post by Mr M
Well I am and you don't.

Then why has the head of maths at my school entered everyone for higher in June who haven't got above a D in foundation over the last 2 years?
Original post by Flyteryder
Then why has the head of maths at my school entered everyone for higher in June who haven't got above a D in foundation over the last 2 years?

Because he is under pressure from Senior Leadership to play a league-table chasing game to the detriment of the education of his students?
Original post by Mr M
Because he is under pressure from Senior Leadership to play a league-table chasing game to the detriment of the education of his students?

It's because she knows what's best for the students; she does it every year, and it works. My school doesn't league table chase; nobody in that class is going to get a B or higher. In her opinion, this is the better way forward.

Why walk into another foundation exam and get another D, after getting a D for 2 years? The foundation papers obviously don't work for some students.

Quick Reply

Latest