The Student Room Group

11th June OCR Maths Higher Tier New Spec

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teengeek
- 3/50 = 0.06
-2/9 = 0.2 recurring
-the mixed number addition, not sure but i got 1 and a 1/2
-the loci and construction question-->put compass from C 5cm away and draw an arc, then do a line in middle between AB and AD i think , and shade bottom left section??
-probability tree, fill in remaining fraction over 10 (e.g 2/10 and 8/10)
-then probability of 2 no faults, it was 0.9 multiplied by 0.8 which was 0.72
-the drawing a plan question - should of got an 'L' shape (3 vertical, 1 horizontal)
-on isometric shape, should have drawn a 3 by 2 cuboid
-smallest surface area of cuboid shape was 22cm^2
-question with formula linking height of dropping a ball of a cliff to sea or something, u had to write the height of something, i'm not sure but i put '90m'
-work out t and h values for histogram, should have got like 90..70..45
-then plot that correctly and draw a line through the points so you get a curve going downwards
-the drinks ratio (3:1), should have been like 750 ml of apple juice and 250ml mango juice
- a question on profit a girl made from drinks should have got something like £32.60
-inequality question = X greater than/same as 2
-on inequality line draw a filled in circle on 2
-vector question, for p + q, you literally added the column vector thingss
-vector question k=? and j=?
-2nd from last question, i got 17 + a surd number..
-last question i got 7x something with plus or minus something, cant remember on top part and got like (x-2)(x+3) or something like that in brackets on the bottom

thats all i can remember atm, there was also a question about runners in a 10km race, then u had to work out whether a prediction was correct or something...

For the vector question, j=3 and k=2. The two questions before we're 3p = 9/-1 and p+q= 1/1. The prediction question should have been no, but I didn't put that. :frown:
The surd questions at the end I got 1/27, 17 + 8 square root 2 (I think; it's so hard to remember!!) and last question, I got 7x-1 on the top and the brackets on the bottom.
All I remember now! I'm sure we've all done fine!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The question where the girl was going to mix the drinks apple juice to mango juice was 3:1 and the answer correctly should of had been 750:250 because you had to do 1000 (which makes up 1litre) divided by 4 (the ratio added up) to get 250.
250 x 3 = 750.
250 x 1 = 250.
This question was worth 3 marks.

The football question which was question 6 was something like East Hill have a total of 28 points.
3 points means a win and 1 point means a draw.
Find out how many of the 12 matches East Hill has won.
This question was worth 4 marks I think.

The values for the y = mx + c line was 90 - 70 - 45 and that was worth 2 marks.
Drawing the graph on with them figures and I think a smooth curve would of had gotten you the other 2 marks.
if anyone could remind me of what the completing the square question was I should be able to answer that gladly.
I can recall that:
question one a was the finding the fraction 3/50 as a decimal worth 1 mark.
question one b was putting a fraction 2/9 as a decimal and it was a recurring decimal worth 1 mark.
question one c which was the powers question was 2 marks the answer gave 5 to the power 3 I think.
question one d was the mixed fractions question which was 1 mark I think.

question 2 was the loci question where you had to bisect the perpendicular line and then measure 5cm on your ruler away from C which was worth 4 marks.
The football question which was question 6 was something like East Hill have a total of 28 points.

For this question I got the answer 9, what about you lot?
Reply 45
Original post by kirankayjohal
if anyone could remind me of what the completing the square question was I should be able to answer that gladly.

i think the completing square question answer was something like (x+4)^2 -16+10

wasn't it? or something similiar??
Reply 46
Original post by kirankayjohal

For this question I got the answer 9, what about you lot?

no they won 8 matches..(and drew 4)
because if you do 8x3=24 and then 4x1=4 and then 24+4=28 :smile:
Reply 47
okay updated with other peoples answers, feel free to check:

- 3/50 = 0.06
-2/9 = 0.2 recurring
-the question with adding&subtracting powers, you should have got 5^3, but then i multiplied it out to 125?
-the mixed number addition, not sure but i got 1 and a 1/2
-the loci and construction question-->put compass from C 5cm away and draw an arc, then do a line in middle between AB and AD i think , and shade bottom left section??
-there was a probability question where you had to work out probability from a table, can't remember but i got something like 0.4?
-probability tree, fill in remaining fraction over 10 (e.g 2/10 and 8/10)
-then probability of 2 no faults, it was 0.9 multiplied by 0.8 which was 0.72
-the drawing a plan question - should of got an 'L' shape (3 vertical, 1 horizontal)
-on isometric shape, should have drawn a 3 by 2 cuboid
-smallest surface area of cuboid shape was 22cm^2
-question with formula linking height of dropping a ball of a cliff to sea or something, u had to write the height of something, i'm not sure but i put '90m'
-work out t and h values for histogram, should have got like 90..70..45
-then plot that correctly and draw a line through the points so you get a curve going downwards
-then you had to make an estimate from your graph
-the drinks ratio (3:1), should have been like 750 ml of apple juice and 250ml mango juice
- a question on profit a girl made from drinks should have got something like £32.60
-football question about how many times they won out of 12 matches, answer = 8.
-inequality question = X greater than/same as 2
-on inequality line draw a filled in circle on 2
-completing the square question=(x+4)^2 -16 + 10, so (x+4)^2 -6
-vector question:3p=9/-1 and for p + q= 1/1
-vector question k=2 and j=3
-3rd from last question it was like 1/27 apparently
-2nd from last question, i got 17 + 8 to the square root of 2
-last question i got 7x something with plus or minus something, cant remember on top part and got like (x-2)(x+3) or something like that in brackets on the bottom
-inverse proportionality question, i did wrong, what did people put for k?
-prediction question on 10km race??
Reply 48
and what did people get for the minimum value underneath the completing square question?
I got -6 :smile:
Also for the histogram question I got 36 people and for the next question that her results were higher than the national survey. Ring any bells? :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by The Geeky one
Also for the histogram question I got 36 people and for the next question that her results were higher than the national survey. Ring any bells? :smile:

i didnt put anything for the minimum value but yeah, i remember i got 36 people for the histogram question too and that her results were higher too. what did u get for the inverse proportionality questions?
I remember getting k=18,000 and then for the next question I got 450 hertz. That's all I can remember, was there another?
Reply 52
Original post by The Geeky one

The next part of the question where you had to compare the results to the national survey's 54% was worth 4 marks, if memory calls.

I think what you had to do was to actually find out the percentage of people who worked between 30 - 45 hours per week (or whatever it was). It then comes out to be exactly 70% - so her results were higher.
Reply 53
I didn't do this paper but i did an OCR paper yesterday as well (calculator) applications of maths paper 1
however, one question was this (well same maths based):
a TV guide has 2/3 pages on reviews
5/6 pages are on photos
and the remaining 6 pages were on index
how many pages were there in total? (4)

PLEASE HELP
Reply 54
Original post by Maat
I didn't do this paper but i did an OCR paper yesterday as well (calculator) applications of maths paper 1
however, one question was this (well same maths based):
a TV guide has 2/3 pages on reviews
5/6 pages are on photos
and the remaining 6 pages were on index
how many pages were there in total? (4)

PLEASE HELP

108 pages

6 pages were index - which is the remaining 1/6 left. This means there are 36 pages used for pages for photos + index.

These 36 pages are the remaining pages when 2/3 of the magazine were for reviews. So, 36 pages is 1/3 of the whole magazine.

36 x 3 = 108
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Liquid5
The next part of the question where you had to compare the results to the national survey's 54% was worth 4 marks, if memory calls.

I think what you had to do was to actually find out the percentage of people who worked between 30 - 45 hours per week (or whatever it was). It then comes out to be exactly 70% - so her results were higher.

Can you remember what the first part of this question was? or how many marks it was?
Reply 56
Original post by Liquid5
108 pages

6 pages were index - which is the remaining 1/6 left. This means there are 36 pages used for pages for photos + index.

These 36 pages are the remaining pages when 2/3 of the magazine were for reviews. So, 36 pages is 1/3 of the whole magazine.

36 x 3 = 108

****!, i got 15.
6 x 2/3 = 4
6 x 5/6 = 5
plus the 6 = 15

so many in my year got different answers!
Original post by Liquid5

Yeah that's how I remember it too!
Reply 58
Good Luck for the maths exam tomorrow everyone!
Reply 59
For number 2a) Was the answer 5^3 or 125? I know they're the same thing, but did it matter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending