The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mfmdanny
Hi Guys, thanks to

for uploading the paper.

I've written a mark scheme by being able to see the paper.
Hope it helps, and please tell me if you disagree with anything - It's not all right these are my answers.

1) a) The net force accelerates the object in the direction of the net force
b) i) The change in momentum of a body due to the force
ii) Area under F/T graph is change in momentum
Change in momentum = mv-mu, u = o, so = mv
Mass is known, so v = change in momentum/m
c) i) 708 (something like this)
ii) 0.5kg
iii) The system is not isolated, external forces are acting
This means the momentum will not be conserved in this system

2) a) Motion in which the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement
from a fixed point, and in the oposite direction
b) i) V = (2(pi)f)A (Whatever this value was)
ii) 1.59 x10^-3
c) i) Resonance - natural frequency = natural frequency
ii) same shape with lower peak

3) a) i) towards the centre of the circle
ii) F acts perpendicular to the motion, so no work done in direction of
motion, so the force doesn't affect the speed
b) i) Tension = mg, F = tension
Time period, measure circumfrence, s=d/t
ii) Straight line through origin
F proportional to V^2, F = kV^2, K = m/r, so m = Fr/v^2
Read point on the line to determine F and V^2, use known radius

4) a) i) The heat required to change the temperature of 1kg of substance by 1K
ii) fusion - heat needed for solid to liquid
vaporisation - heat needed for liquid to gas
b) i) A-B: KE increases as temp increases, PE remains the same
B-C: KE remains constant as temp is same, PE increases and breaks bonds
ii) I said it was higher at liquid that solid (apparently this is wrong)
c) i) 4.86kW (or there abouts)
ii) power used to heat external components - so power used is less than needed

5) a) Gas molecules move in constant random motion at high speed
b) i) temperature is constant
ii) 700 and something I think
iii) More collisions --> More pressure --> More temp (T proportional to P)

6) a) i) Every objects attracts every other object, force prop. mass x mass
and inversley prop. to distance between squared
ii) Force per unit mass
b) i) v = 2(pi)r/T (can't remember figure - r in m and T in s)
ii) 5.36 x10^26 (or there abouts)
c) I did this wrong - apparently it uses t^3 prop. r^2

The first q, where the answer is 708, I got this wrong. Used the correct method, will I get 1/2 for workings? For last part I wrote about energy losses due to friction, I doubt this will get credit though?

For the experiment with the bung I wrote determine force by multiplying mass of weights by g to get the force in newtons, which provide centripetal force - I didn't mention the tension though. Will I still get the credit?

Thanks for putting this together, I agree with yours answers. Although I can't comment on the shm one as I had no clue what to do. haha

EDIT: Btw it is higher at a liquid. The graph was tempurate against time. The gradient (this is just counting the boxes) for the solid was 2 and it was 1/2 for the liquid. The shc is the inverse of the gradient of this graph so the shc is larger for the liquid.
(edited 11 years ago)
1Ciii) I wrote about air resistance acting on the ball would that be right
Reply 362
Anyone have a reasonably confident answer for 5bii ?
I put that the SHC of liquid is higher, because the gradient of the graph was shallower, meaning the rate of change of temperature was slower. So more energy is required to heat it by a certain amount compared to that of the solid... how is this wrong?
Original post by Hoochy91

what was the question again?
Original post by Hoochy91

v=rw=2pirT=23.1415...1.2109168.64104=5454.15...[br]5450ms1v=rw=\frac{2*pi*r}{T}=\frac{2*3.1415...*1.2*10^{9}}{16*8.64*10^{4}}=5454.15...[br]5450ms^{-1}

That's what I got.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OllieReynolds
I put that the SHC of liquid is higher, because the gradient of the graph was shallower, meaning the rate of change of temperature was slower. So more energy is required to heat it by a certain amount compared to that of the solid... how is this wrong?

shc of liquid is higher, you're correct. The gradient was change in temp over change in time. The gradient in equal to 1/c. As the value of the gradient was smaller for the liquid then inversing it gives a larger value of c. Simples.
Has anyone got the A* boundary for the previous papers and also what there prediction would be for this paper? Thanks in advance
I've posted my answers and mark scheme in the Physics exam forum

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2036204
I wrote about specific heat capacity definition by writing the formulae then explaining each symbol because I saw model answer in Philip Allan revision book which is written by an examiner. It commented on the answer saying it is correct way as well. So would somone like to comment on that.
Reply 370
hated that A0 questions i used the right forumula and i said the osicllation of sand grane shud be in phase with osciallation of metal plate (also said it shud follow a smh ).
then i used the sam forumula but i didnt put 9.81 for accelaraton becuz stupid me had to try find the acceleration using the forumula. would i get any marks?
Original post by Ihatemaths1
I wrote about specific heat capacity definition by writing the formulae then explaining each symbol because I saw model answer in Philip Allan revision book which is written by an examiner. It commented on the answer saying it is correct way as well. So would somone like to comment on that.

Just because its in a book, just because its written by an examiner doesnt mean it's accpeted this year.

Case in point: for years Internal energy = sum of ........ for all particles in system. Its like that in books etc and has always been accepted. This Jan it was rejected and you had to write either atoms or molecules. In the end we only know what the acceptable answers are when we seem what gets the mark and what doesnt.

For the last couple of exams sthey have been very tough on 'per unit time', 'per unit mass' instead of per s or per kg.

Some things can be defined via equations eg magnetic Flux Density - but I think you'd have to write B=F/Il rather than F=BIL when you explian the terms.

Just my guess/opinion. Until I button-hole the Chief examiner at feedback meetings we just dont know.
Reply 372
Who feels like revising Physics?
Reply 373
Original post by GeorgeL3
Who feels like revising Physics?

I certainly don't, but I do feel I'll do really badly if I don't. Are you doing tomorrow's exam? :s-smilie:

Latest