The Student Room Group

G485 June 2012 Paper and unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by SS*
I really really hope so :frown: Also, what if you didn't divide by 1000 in the last Mpc question?...

(Sorry for asking so many questions but i'm so worried!)

That would only ever be one mark loss
Reply 101
How about the power question?
Was that 3x10^9/0.22
That one is 1 mark

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 102
For 4b, (I didn't put this in the paper but on reflection i think this is the answer):
physics problem answer.png

The gold nucleus won't have its field line deflected as much as it is a stronger field, whereas the alpha particle has a smaller charge to its line is deflected more. Still not 100% sure if this is right, but its the best guess i have.
Posted all my answers and mark scheme in a separate thread.
Reply 104
how did everybody find the paper? I thought it was harder than expected.
Reply 105
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet; apologies if it has. For 10)b), did anyone else consider F=ma and work out the acceleration? I did that and it was really tiny (10^-15), so I used that as my reasoning. Thoughts?
Reply 106
Original post by NikNaks
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet; apologies if it has. For 10)b), did anyone else consider F=ma and work out the acceleration? I did that and it was really tiny (10^-15), so I used that as my reasoning. Thoughts?

I did think of that, but I just stuck with the space expanding thing. I think it should get the marks though.
Reply 107
For the very first question, for the area under graph would "Work Done" be okay?
Original post by rgc610
For the very first question, for the area under graph would "Work Done" be okay?

That would only be true for a force against distance graph.
Sorry this is taking so long, I will try and finish off the mark scheme this evening.
Reply 110
Original post by Picture~Perfect
That would only be true for a force against distance graph.

If you look in the book it does mention, Work done against capacitor = Area under graph ??
Original post by rgc610
If you look in the book it does mention, Work done against capacitor = Area under graph ??

Really? Which book?
Mine just says that the area under the graph is the energy stored by the capacitor. Can that be equated to the work done?
Reply 112
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Really? Which book?
Mine just says that the area under the graph is the energy stored by the capacitor. Can that be equated to the work done?

Energy = work done, they're interchangeable really, both measured in J. :smile:
Reply 113
Does anybody know what the answers to 4,5,6 were?
It's not written on the first page :smile:
In question 5, part C (iii) 1 - they said "The molar mass of plutonium-238 is 0.24kg" and it's supposed to be 0.24kgmol^-1, right? Will it count as a mistake made by OCR? Just like in the last June's paper they made some mistake. Would it affect the grade boundaries, what do you think? It looks insignificant, but still during the exam, when you r under high pressure, I think this could puzzle you
No but they stated the word "Molar Mass" so it is obvious that one mole of plutonium-238 is equal to 0.24kg. I don't think so that it will be a mistake, and grade boundaries is dependent on the students that well they have done in the paper. I hope grade boundaries are low because there was a lot pressure of time. I finished my exam on the dot!
Original post by Uzzy~Sheikh
No but they stated the word "Molar Mass" so it is obvious that one mole of plutonium-238 is equal to 0.24kg. I don't think so that it will be a mistake, and grade boundaries is dependent on the students that well they have done in the paper. I hope grade boundaries are low because there was a lot pressure of time. I finished my exam on the dot!

Ok, thank you) I hope so too! Good luck!
Original post by cepti
Does anybody know what the answers to 4,5,6 were?
It's not written on the first page :smile:

Have a look at my answers and mark scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending