Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Sales jobs with OTE

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socialnoob)
    When you were on the phones just as a rep what was the most you ever made if you don't mind me asking. The most I've made in a year is 37k.

I agree with the points you made that there are some really ****ty commission only types of jobs out there.

Would you recommend a B2B sales career within the SME market if I came upto you as a newbie and said I wanted to get into sales and have just had this job offer with a company who does outbound b2b calls and I get 12k a year with commission on top OTE is 25k.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    probs about 10k less than that when i was doing b2c

and to be honest it would heavily depend on how you came across in the interview. your new which means you have no practical experience (something oft looked for in b2b). however your new which means you haven't picked up the calling habits and rapport building of b2c agents which has lets be fair a more impersonal approach both in appearance (still makes a difference over the phone) and in manner.

I am (was) willing to give people who impress me a chance, my boss wasnt only seasoned b2bers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that reply. So you think there is more money to be made in b2c sales do you?

How easy do you think it is to earn 25k in b2b, I think it's pretty easy and have done it year in year out.

What I find is that with b2c you have to sell the sizzle whilst at the b2b level you have to sell the steak.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview lined up at Metamorphose for a sales and marketing role, which embarrassingly enough, I don't remember applying to! The role is mainly B2B sales, and I feel absolutely terrified as I have only ever had a standard retail B2C sales job. Anyone heard of this company? The pay is 21k, commission upto 30k, no idea if that's good or bad or even realistically possible to get that much commission!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IloveDisney)
    I have an interview lined up at Metamorphose for a sales and marketing role, which embarrassingly enough, I don't remember applying to! The role is mainly B2B sales, and I feel absolutely terrified as I have only ever had a standard retail B2C sales job. Anyone heard of this company? The pay is 21k, commission upto 30k, no idea if that's good or bad or even realistically possible to get that much commission!
    I've never heard of the company if the basic is 21k that is very high. Which is a good thing! Generally speaking any company that offers a 15k plus basic is going to be a good company to work for. That's been my experience. Go for the interview I'm getting good vibes from it already. If 30k is the OTE and the basic is 21k then it seems very likely that you will hit the 30k mark. The difference between 21k and 30k is only 9k.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply :-) Oh really, that's Feb, hoping whatever happens for the best! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This might sound really stupid but I am rather clueless, why is it they look for people for no experience in b2b sales?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This might sound really stupid but I am rather clueless, why is it they look for people for no experience in b2b sales?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most companies do actually ask for previous b2b experience the ones that don't rightly or wrongly, believe that B2C salespeople transitioning into B2B sales come with too many bad habits which are too hard and expensive to rectify. Selling to C level executives requires a completely different approach to when you are selling to "normal people".

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most companies do actually ask for previous b2b experience the ones that don't rightly or wrongly, believe that B2C salespeople transitioning into B2B sales come with too many bad habits which are too hard and expensive to rectify. Selling to C level executives requires a completely different approach to when you are selling to "normal people".

I agree, B2B standard is totally different. Although from what I've seen with these roles posted online, they all say ''no experience required, training will be provided''! I guess that's good for me, hopefully won't expect much from me in the beginning then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old glory)
    How credible are these OTEs? I find the idea of second year £80,000 OTE ridiculous, but are they?
    Hi,

Generally the higher the basic the more credible the OTE. Not just because more of it is basic wage but because reputable companies will pay more. Anything commission only is generally crap but not always.

80k OTE with no experience is unrealistic I think. Reputable companies do not set unrealistic OTE. Sales has a high turnover of staff and bad companies will put a high OTE in order to attract money hungry people (who make the best salespeople).

Field sales pays more than telesales, in commission and basic. Generally.

It all depends on the company though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are 'selling' you the job lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How did the interview go then? Any news?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did the interview go then? Any news?

The interview was great, a bit too great lol. He offered me the job on the spot, and he was really nice but he kept continuously 'complimenting' me to the point where I felt awkward. I told him I won't be free until I finish university in May, and he kept trying to persuade me to take a job on now (full-time as well!). I rejected it and he told me to stay in touch throughout so when I'm free they have all sorts of jobs available etc. Not really feeling it though anymore, the company came off desperate. Saying that, I'm desperate for a job haha so just going to wait till summer and see what happens!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The interview was great, a bit too great lol. He offered me the job on the spot, and he was really nice but he kept continuously 'complimenting' me to the point where I felt awkward. I told him I won't be free until I finish university in May, and he kept trying to persuade me to take a job on now (full-time as well!). I rejected it and he told me to stay in touch throughout so when I'm free they have all sorts of jobs available etc. Not really feeling it though anymore, the company came off desperate. Saying that, I'm desperate for a job haha so just going to wait till summer and see what happens!
    Yeah he does seem a bit desperate to be fair! What were they selling? Seems like the company has a high turnover rate, always a worry.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he does seem a bit desperate to be fair! What were they selling? Seems like the company has a high turnover rate, always a worry.

To be honest, I'm still not sure what the actual job is lol. But I think it's just a recruitment company, he was offering me some marketing role in Heathrow offices etc. Only about a week ago he rang again and kept saying please please apply for this job, it's some FedEx sales job role. I told him I would apply (but I haven't haha, not interested in it!). Ah well, everything happens for a reason Do you have a job?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I was reading this thread and have just signed up to TSR to see if I can offer some advice. I'm a graduate recruiter myself now and have used my own agency and others in previous job searches so hope I can offer some help and advice. I wanted to start by answering the original question: how credible are these OTEs?

Your OTE is your ON (not over) Target Earning. It means that if you hit your targets, you can expect to take home the advertised amount.

How realistic are they? Well herein lies the question, one that can only be answered by an honest recruiter, (there aren't many of us!) or an honest interviewer.

Asking about the commission structure at interview (I would advise asking the employer as opposed to the recruiter) is crucial to be able to understand if the OTE is realistic. Part of this will include what your targets actually are - are they realistic?

Basic salaries - if you're serious about sales, and an employer is serious about you, you shouldn't be offered less than 18k. Commission only jobs aren't scams but if you don't deliver you get nothing. I always thought that unfair and now every job we work on has a minimum basic salary of £18k.

B2B sales and recruitment aren't easy but good jobs do pay. I had one sales job where all I earned was £21k basic and didn't generate any commission. In my next job in recruitment (where I am now) I earned £45k in my first full year post probation (I.e. months 4-15).

If anyone has any other questions for me, fire away!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 10, 2013
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.