The Student Room Group

WJEC History - HY4/HY3

Anyone else sitting this exam tomorrow? Just wondering how people were feeling about it and whether anyone wants to speculate about possible questions or what topics you've been learning or any last minute advice, that sort of thing, y'know?

I'm doing France and Germany on the Europe 1815-1917 paper and then Rebecca Riots on the Reform and Protest paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same here, I'm doing the 1815-1917 Europe paper, but Russia and International Relations. Also doing the Great Rebellion paper.

Not feeling great in all honesty. I didn't even know HY3 was part of this exam until a few weeks ago, shows how good my school is I suppose. I'm confident I know enough of the Europe stuff but not so confident about the Great Rebellion. I can also see the synoptic question being difficult to fit into 50 minutes but meh, we'll see.

I need about 59 for a B overall and about 90 for an A. Only need a B but yano, an A would be nice. We'll see.

Good luck!
Reply 2
You're doing the complete opposite to me then I see!

I wouldn't worry too much about HY3, I know it's worth 40 marks but as long as you smash HY4 you'll do fine! Agreed with the synoptic essay timing, I'm hoping that adrenaline will carry me through to be honest!

I need to get roughly half marks for an A overall, but I'd quite like an A* to be honest and that means 90% or more.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
I think if I get 115 marks I'll get an a*. Not completely out of the question? :P

How are you setting out the synoptic essay? I've been told to separate the period into around three smaller periods and analyse each individually, evaluating at the end of each paragraph. Slightly worried this will be seen as a bit of a narrative response, but it shouldn't be an issue as long as I analyse properly.
Reply 4
We've split ours into 4 periods. 1815-1848, 1848-1870, 1871-1890 and 1891-1917. We've then been told to put these periods in the order of the importance of the named factor in each period. Then we've got to deal with the named factor and then evaluate it's importance against other factors in each of those periods.

Though mine will probably be suited to Germany, hence 4 time periods instead of 3. Other than that, our technique doesn't seem too dissimilar!
Reply 5
Ah, well that's reassuring. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm not entirely convinced I've been give the best possible preparation for this exam. Fingers crossed we get nice questions. I'll be sure to check out the questions you get on the paper, hope they're nice! From doing AS Level Germany I can only assume that Bismarck is the answer to everything? xD
Reply 6
I've got an HY4 wjec exam today as well, we are doing Britain 1780-1894, need around 65-70% for an A overall, just a bit worried about fitting my essay's into 50 minutes, we shall see :smile:
I did the Europe 1817-1914 for synoptic (Russia and Germany) and Britain 1929-39 for Depth. I quite liked the British and German questions but found the Russian one quite confusing. I think my synoptic essay was a bit all over the place though :frown: Assuming the exam was 120 UMS and the Coursework 80 (I think that's right...) I needed about 68% to get an A overall (unless my HY1 mark has gone up from 96UMS, I resat that last month) and I think I got that.
I finished about 15 minutes early though. That was unusual. Not sure whether it was just exam adrenaline made me write faster or I missed something... :frown: At least it gave me time to read over my essay and correct some spelling errors :tongue:
Reply 8
after marking and internal moderating for HY3 (causes of the french revolutionary wars) I was given 76/80 so hoping external moderation doesnt lower it! My HY4 paper today was social reform in britian 1880-1980 and the french revolution 1792-95 so different from everyone on this page I think :L part A of the british paper was a tricky one on the 1930's and how effective governemnt refom was on improving people's lives :/ section B British was really nice though and the french rev Q was again not so nice. Overall think it went quite well still I need about 105/120 for * but definatly think I can egt the A after that yay :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by welshfrankie
I did the Europe 1817-1914 for synoptic (Russia and Germany) and Britain 1929-39 for Depth. I quite liked the British and German questions but found the Russian one quite confusing. I think my synoptic essay was a bit all over the place though :frown: Assuming the exam was 120 UMS and the Coursework 80 (I think that's right...) I needed about 68% to get an A overall (unless my HY1 mark has gone up from 96UMS, I resat that last month) and I think I got that.
I finished about 15 minutes early though. That was unusual. Not sure whether it was just exam adrenaline made me write faster or I missed something... :frown: At least it gave me time to read over my essay and correct some spelling errors :tongue:

I thought the Russia question was quite bizarre too. It wasn't that bad but I prefer the questions about causes of the revolution. The International Relations and Great Rebellion questions were lovely though!

I have an A in HY1 and HY3, but only a C in HY2 (I don't think my teacher for that side of the course knows what he's doing in all honesty). I resat that last month. I really hope I got an A!
Reply 10
I thought the Germany 1815-1914 question was brilliant. The last mock test we did in school was the same question but substitute the word impact for experience. I did France instead of Russia but again, I couldn't have asked for a better question. Success at home but a failure abroad? Literally the best question on France ever.

My essay for the depth paper was definitely my weakest but the question wasn't terrible by any means, in fact, achievements were the last mock we did in school too, so y'know, I was prepared but I think I lost focus and let my technique slide.

Hopefully I got the C I need to get an A overall. I'm holding an A from HY1, HY2 and I got 78/80 on my HY3 coursework which is 90% so technically A* I believe?

And yes Danibaldi, Bismarck is practically the answer to everything, haha :P!

Glad no-one seems to have had a truly terrible exam, good luck to you all for August!
Reply 11
Some quick Maths tells me that 78/80 is 97.5% so you'll need 99/120 UMS marks to get an a*, I think. You need an average of 90% in the A2 modules, right? Good luck, anyway! :smile:
I did the Napoleons question and the German one. I have to say I found it quite easy but I had one major flaw.

I didn't get to finish the germannessay in time. I've become paranoid about how many marks I lost so could someone give me an idea of how many marks I'd lose seeing as I had no conclusion and only wrote 6 lines on the last time period

Despite that though, apparently you need 83 as a raw mark to get an a overall, so does that mean an a* is still feasible since I had 75 in my coursework?
(edited 11 years ago)
I did Tudors and Nazis, the poverty and vagrancy question was weird
Anyone doing this in June?
Reply 15
Original post by Miracle Day
Anyone doing this in June?

I am, doing Germany 1878-1990, International Relations between 1918-1945 and British Foreign Policy. Dreading it.
Original post by LJ95
I am, doing Germany 1878-1990, International Relations between 1918-1945 and British Foreign Policy. Dreading it.

Damn. Would have been nice if we were doing the same subjects :/

I'm excited for it >_> tough exam though haha
Reply 17
I am also doing the wjec a level history exam in June. Although I am doing Russia instead of Germany and have a choice of international relations 1918-45 or 1945-89. I am also doing British foreign policy. Anyone got any good exams tips for writing history essays? I am hoping to do a history degree so need to improve my history essay writing as it is not very good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Need about 95/120 for an A* :tongue:
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending