The Student Room Group

Uni-fever too early?!

Scroll to see replies

I started looking at prospectuses and getting excited about uni when I was 12 (there was a careers fair at school, they had prospectuses and stuff there so I took loads home :lol:). Trust me, it's not too early. And 5 years on I am still ridiculously excited about going this September. I start jumping up and down when people ask me if I'm looking forward to it. HELL YES. And like everyone else, I joined TSR purely out of uni excitement. :biggrin:

Think it'll be a bit of an anticlimax after this. :lol:
Reply 21
Original post by lbsf1
AS maths in year 10???, if only I was that good. Did gcse in year 10 and additional maths this year but that is about all until AS next year in year 12.

Loughborough wanted AAA for mech eng,not really high but still far from easy.

Yeah, a couple of my friends did AS last year and I would have loved to too, I think I could have as well :frown:

I think AAA is a high offer, anything above ABB I think it high :smile: The general offer is around A*AA for oxford to do Physics so I have a long way to go! Ahaha. St Andrews is a little easier at AAA but stil...
Reply 22
Original post by Gemzaar
If you are aiming for places such as Oxbridge then I don't thinks its too early. Its good to plan ahead and get an idea of what universities you are looking for and the courses, etc.

Oh that's good! I just don't see anyone else my age doing the same as me, that panics me and, unfortunately, makes me feel a little stupid too :/
Reply 23
Original post by truthisevil
I'm the same!
It started off with just seeing what I'd want to do, and then where, so I could see what A-levels to take... And then I just kept looking O.O

I probably won't get into uni because I didn't revise enough because I was too busy wishing I could just go to uni.

Well try to avoid that, obviously! Ahaha. I think I'm going to go see some unis this summer/autumn :biggrin:
EPICLY EXCITED
Reply 24
Original post by Seanyboy57
Never too early. Being prepared now means you make the right choices when it comes to choosing your A-Levels, and it also means that you'll be more likely to work hard at AS. People who do very well at AS tend to "hit the ground running" at the start and work hard year round, which is much more likely if you have a goal to aim for.

When I was starting Year 11, I pretty much knew what course I wanted to study and where, so it isn't uncommon :smile:

Oh that's good :smile: I do hope it'll give me motivation, I'm looking forward to sixth form too though as it's a little more freedom. The freedom is going to make the A Level experience more enjoyable and so a faster track to Uni :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by meeow
Same! i haven't ordered any prospectuses, but i've browsed enough websites and read TSR wikis and gotten oh-so excited !

ORDER SOME! The post is immense and so fun to open, you feel very important! At one point my postman was like "Someone's getting ready for Uni!" ahaha :smile:
Reply 26
I think it is great that you are preparing so early! There is nothing more important than making sure you make right decisions, striking the best balances between where you would most enjoy and where would put you in the best position for a career in whatever field you're interested in!

Good luck in your search - I certainly enjoyed the research process alot.
Reply 27
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
I was exactly like this during my GCSEs as well, it was the reason I joined TSR. Funnily enough its decreased a lot with my A levels. Nonetheless I'm still really excited to go to university!

I've joined TSR for a similar reason, to find people feeling the same as I am :smile:
Oh don't say that! I don't want it to decrease at all, if anything increase! It's such a good feeling!
Reply 28
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I started looking at prospectuses and getting excited about uni when I was 12 (there was a careers fair at school, they had prospectuses and stuff there so I took loads home :lol:). Trust me, it's not too early. And 5 years on I am still ridiculously excited about going this September. I start jumping up and down when people ask me if I'm looking forward to it. HELL YES. And like everyone else, I joined TSR purely out of uni excitement. :biggrin:

Think it'll be a bit of an anticlimax after this. :lol:

Oh that's awesome :biggrin: What are your firm/insurance choices?
I've been speaking to my careers adviser so much... I've had 4 appointments while most people have had 1 or 2. I asked her if I was going too much and she had no, last year someone had 13 appointments! Ahaha :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Sean9001
I think it is great that you are preparing so early! There is nothing more important than making sure you make right decisions, striking the best balances between where you would most enjoy and where would put you in the best position for a career in whatever field you're interested in!

Good luck in your search - I certainly enjoyed the research process alot.

Thank you! I'm so excited and enjoying every minute of this so I want to draw it out as much as possible, then hit A Levels which will be... interesting ahaha
Reply 30
Original post by Abbseh
ORDER SOME! The post is immense and so fun to open, you feel very important! At one point my postman was like "Someone's getting ready for Uni!" ahaha :smile:

Ooh, i think i may! My family will think i'm being a bit weird/overprepared though :colondollar:
I've already pencilled in the open day for TCD in December, but i think i'll leave the English unis for next year, i need to relax!
Reply 31
Original post by meeow
Ooh, i think i may! My family will think i'm being a bit weird/overprepared though :colondollar:
I've already pencilled in the open day for TCD in December, but i think i'll leave the English unis for next year, i need to relax!

At first my family were like "why do you keep getting prospectuses?!" but they soon accepted it!
Ahaha I haven't done that just yet, although I did look at St Andrews' days yesterday :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
Oh that's awesome :biggrin: What are your firm/insurance choices?
I've been speaking to my careers adviser so much... I've had 4 appointments while most people have had 1 or 2. I asked her if I was going too much and she had no, last year someone had 13 appointments! Ahaha :smile:

Yeahhh, I've been dreaming of escape. :lol: Not that I don't love my home, I do. I just really really want to see other places.

Wow. I never had any appointments with mine but then I knew what I wanted to do already. And I'm going to UEA. :smile: Got an unconditional. :biggrin: But four isn't that bad, pretty sure I know people who had more than that. But our careers advisor wasn't much good anyway. But yeah, it's great that you're thinking about this now, gives you something to aim for. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Yeahhh, I've been dreaming of escape. :lol: Not that I don't love my home, I do. I just really really want to see other places.

Wow. I never had any appointments with mine but then I knew what I wanted to do already. And I'm going to UEA. :smile: Got an unconditional. :biggrin: But four isn't that bad, pretty sure I know people who had more than that. But our careers advisor wasn't much good anyway. But yeah, it's great that you're thinking about this now, gives you something to aim for. :smile:

That's awesome! How did you get an unconditional?!
Our careers adviser is awesome, she is so lovely and seems to know a fair bit about everything :smile: Although, when I said astrophysics she has she'd have to do some research! Ahaha
Yes I've got a whooooole lot to aim for! A whole lot of high expectations and grade predictions unfortunately
Scottish uni's ftw :biggrin: Order for Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Strathclyde and Aberdeen :smile:
I got uni-fever when I was around 16 as well. Let it motivate you, but try not to burn out at the thought of spending another two years in school.
Nope, I got excited at the beginning of year 11! People did think I was strange, but when I see those same people now at a complete loss as to what to do after year 13, I feel happy I took an interest so early. I have always known I wanted to marine biology (which I why I begun looking into into universities); when I tell people this they tend to be a bit like 'whatever' but I don't give a rat's bum whether they believe me or not, because I honestly believe my motivation drove me to achieve such good GCSEs (and hopefully AS levels :colondollar:). I am now SO excited about the whole process of receiving offers via UCAS, ahhhhh! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Abbseh
Oh that's good! I just don't see anyone else my age doing the same as me, that panics me and, unfortunately, makes me feel a little stupid too :/

Don't feel stupid. By you looking looking ahead you will probably find opportunities that others won't. I feel silly by looking at possible internships that I like the look of, ones that you can only get once you have a degree, yet I have only just done my first year of uni. Haha. :smile: Always better to be ahead.
Reply 38
Original post by cgraham15
Scottish uni's ftw :biggrin: Order for Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Strathclyde and Aberdeen :smile:

The only one I've looked at properly I'd St Andrews so I'm not too sure what the others are like, I need a strong science faculty :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
The only one I've looked at properly I'd St Andrews so I'm not too sure what the others are like, I need a strong science faculty :smile:

Ah okay :smile: check them all out on the Complete University Guide (it gives pod rankings per subject). Also, I heard Heiot Watt is good for science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending