The Student Room Group

Uni-fever too early?!

I'm 16, just bringing my GCSEs to an end and have been on study leave for just about a month :smile:

Before I went on study leave I'd begun to get really excited about university and ordered a few prospectuses and so have read them in the extra time study leave has given me. Reading them had gotten me thinking about university more deeply and before I knew it I was ordering prospectuses (I have 10 now!) and as a result I'm majorly excited for university! Don't let me be the only one!

There much be some other people out there who are in exactly the same way?
The universities I'd most like to go to are Oxford, St. Andrews... Not ambitious at all! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its not too early to just start casually glancing through prospectuses - at least I don't think so because I started doing that when I was 16 as well. It can help you decide what A levels to do because if you find a course that you really like the description of then you can decide whether or not to go full barrage with your A-levels (Maths & Sciences) or if you just need to get the grades.

TL;DR - Its never too early :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Vijay2010
Its not too early to just start casually glancing through prospectuses - at least I don't think so because I started doing that when I was 16 as well. It can help you decide what A levels to do because if you find a course that you really like the description of then you can decide whether or not to go full barrage with your A-levels (Maths & Sciences) or if you just need to get the grades.

TL;DR - Its never too early :smile:

I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry, biology and physics for my A Levels which I wouldn't have decided upon had I not looked through the prospectuses :smile:
If i think about it this way, I need to know where I want to go as I'll need to visit them after christmas and actually apply in september which is nearly a year away. It doesn't seem tooooo early, I just see no one else doing the same as me :/
Reply 3
If nobody else is doing it, then its a good thing! It means that you're more invested in your future than any of your peers and so are more likely to get further in life than they are. The fact that you've already got an indication of what A levels you're going to do because of prospectuses shows how beneficial it can be to start things a little bit earlier.
Plus its not like you're doing extra work in the summer or anything, you're just skimming through a couple of books in your very, very spare time :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
I'm 16, just bringing my GCSEs to an end and have been on study leave for just about a month :smile:

Before I went on study leave I'd begun to get really excited about university and ordered a few prospectuses and so have read them in the extra time study leave has given me. Reading them had gotten me thinking about university more deeply and before I knew it I was ordering prospectuses (I have 10 now!) and as a result I'm majorly excited for university! Don't let me be the only one!

The universities I'd most like to go to are Oxford, St. Andrews... Not ambitious at all! :smile:

It's not too early! If anything you're going to be aiming somewhere when you start your A-levels, and knowing that you need certain grades to get where you want to be should be great motivation!
I visited my favourite, current firm, university in the summer holidays after GCSE and had a few prospectuses then too, so it's not just you :lol: plus, getting lots of prospectuses means that you get lots of post...which is always exciting :biggrin:
St Andrews is absolutely stunning; I visited there last year (rejected this year though) and it really is a lovely place :love: although quite small and in the middle of nowhere!
good luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've kinda done similar, our school made us come in till half term so I have only just now got all of the spare time.

I know what stuff I need to do as A levels to get into mechanical engineering. Maths,Physics,History, Computing AS (Swapping to further maths AS in year 13). I did a philosophy AS this year so I know what the work rate is, it is hard however not unbearable.

I'm also so looking forward to uni, just doing the subject I love, away from my parents, fending for myself (I love adventure, sometimes I just go out on my bike to try and get lost in a large wood and then try and find my way out. :wink: ) and obviously the parties.

The place I want to go at the moment is loughborough, everyone who goes there loves it , it seems quite a civilised uni and it is the size where you can chose to either chill out or party and both are easily catered for. It also is 6th in the uk for mechanical engineering. Just need to get the grades to be able to go there, fingers crossed.
Reply 6
If you are planning to try any London universities, it's worthwhile to get into one of their one day taster course. They get full quickly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by kayleigh.jean
It's not too early! If anything you're going to be aiming somewhere when you start your A-levels, and knowing that you need certain grades to get where you want to be should be great motivation!
I visited my favourite, current firm, university in the summer holidays after GCSE and had a few prospectuses then too, so it's not just you :lol: plus, getting lots of prospectuses means that you get lots of post...which is always exciting :biggrin:
St Andrews is absolutely stunning; I visited there last year (rejected this year though) and it really is a lovely place :love: although quite small and in the middle of nowhere!
good luck :biggrin:

I LOVE getting post! I feel like such a boss when I stroll down stairs like 'That's for me.' :biggrin:
I'd love to visit this summer and have a look around, I think my 'uni fever' will hit the roof then though! Ahaha
I'm glad I'm not a solitary case :smile:

And thank you!
Original post by Abbseh
I LOVE getting post! I feel like such a boss when I stroll down stairs like 'That's for me.' :biggrin:
I'd love to visit this summer and have a look around, I think my 'uni fever' will hit the roof then though! Ahaha
I'm glad I'm not a solitary case :smile:

And thank you!

you're gonna love it once you've applied then; UCAS letters, Student Finance letters, uni letters generally....it's brilliant :biggrin:
I had over 30 prospectuses...they looked very pretty :biggrin: my insurance choice's prospectus I ordered on a whim, so it can be good to order lots! xD
enjoy it! In two years it'll be 'uni fever/uni panic' :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by lbsf1
I've kinda done similar, our school made us come in till half term so I have only just now got all of the spare time.

I know what stuff I need to do as A levels to get into mechanical engineering. Maths,Physics,History, Computing AS (Swapping to further maths AS in year 13). I did a philosophy AS this year so I know what the work rate is, it is hard however not unbearable.

I'm also so looking forward to uni, just doing the subject I love, away from my parents, fending for myself (I love adventure, sometimes I just go out on my bike to try and get lost in a large wood and then try and find my way out. :wink: ) and obviously the parties.

The place I want to go at the moment is loughborough, everyone who goes there loves it , it seems quite a civilised uni and it is the size where you can chose to either chill out or party and both are easily catered for. It also is 6th in the uk for mechanical engineering. Just need to get the grades to be able to go there, fingers crossed.

I would have loved to do AS maths in year 10 but my school messed up my set so I got put into a lower one than I should have, until last September that is.
So much freedom! I'd love to do something like what you do with the woods, however my parents would go absolutely mental at me ahaha. I'm doing maths, possibly further maths (ideally), chemistry, biology and physics. All my favourites! Well... I don't love biology but I tolerate it.
I haven't looked at Loughborough but fromyour description it sounds very good :smile: What grade do they want from you to get in?
Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do it!
Reply 10
Original post by poony
If you are planning to try any London universities, it's worthwhile to get into one of their one day taster course. They get full quickly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I've taken a liking to UCL :smile: Thank you! I'll look into them
Reply 11
Original post by kayleigh.jean
you're gonna love it once you've applied then; UCAS letters, Student Finance letters, uni letters generally....it's brilliant :biggrin:
I had over 30 prospectuses...they looked very pretty :biggrin: my insurance choice's prospectus I ordered on a whim, so it can be good to order lots! xD
enjoy it! In two years it'll be 'uni fever/uni panic' :lol:

I CANNOT WAIT.

30?! Did you get one from every university in england?! :biggrin: Well then, the more the merrier. I shall order many a prospectus and tell my mother I had to!
Ahaha, I'm sure the panic will set in this time next year. If I'm not mistaken that's when UCAS things start to be arranged? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Abbseh
I CANNOT WAIT.

30?! Did you get one from every university in england?! :biggrin: Well then, the more the merrier. I shall order many a prospectus and tell my mother I had to!
Ahaha, I'm sure the panic will set in this time next year. If I'm not mistaken that's when UCAS things start to be arranged? :smile:

You'll likely to set up a UCAS account and begin attending Open Days around now, so yeah pretty much.

If you're doing Ox (deadline 15th Oct) you'll probably be looking at beginning your PS around this time too, and maybe preparing for the MAT (dunno how much you can prep it).

Also, don't forget that you can have pretty amazing time at Sixth Form too. Uni will come round soon enough, sh*t graduation will come round soon enough (remember Year 7 reasonably well? Well in the same amount of time into the future you'll be donning your cap and gown!), so don't wish the time away just waiting for uni to start.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Abbseh
I CANNOT WAIT.

haha, not every university...just a few to get a good idea :rolleyes: just call it the longlist, and then get it down to a shortlist of visit-worthy universities :')
you'll need to be thinking about it seriously by this time next year, such as open days and giving some thought to what you could put in your personal statement (great fun to write...) but it really starts September/October. Oxbridge deadline is usually mid-October, and it's good generally to aim to get your application sorted in October/November so that your school can get your reference sorted and you can get offers, which provides some relief! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Abbseh
I would have loved to do AS maths in year 10 but my school messed up my set so I got put into a lower one than I should have, until last September that is.
So much freedom! I'd love to do something like what you do with the woods, however my parents would go absolutely mental at me ahaha. I'm doing maths, possibly further maths (ideally), chemistry, biology and physics. All my favourites! Well... I don't love biology but I tolerate it.
I haven't looked at Loughborough but fromyour description it sounds very good :smile: What grade do they want from you to get in?
Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do it!

AS maths in year 10???, if only I was that good. Did gcse in year 10 and additional maths this year but that is about all until AS next year in year 12.

Loughborough wanted AAA for mech eng,not really high but still far from easy.
Reply 15
If you are aiming for places such as Oxbridge then I don't thinks its too early. Its good to plan ahead and get an idea of what universities you are looking for and the courses, etc.
I'm the same!
It started off with just seeing what I'd want to do, and then where, so I could see what A-levels to take... And then I just kept looking O.O

I probably won't get into uni because I didn't revise enough because I was too busy wishing I could just go to uni.
Reply 17
Never too early. Being prepared now means you make the right choices when it comes to choosing your A-Levels, and it also means that you'll be more likely to work hard at AS. People who do very well at AS tend to "hit the ground running" at the start and work hard year round, which is much more likely if you have a goal to aim for.

When I was starting Year 11, I pretty much knew what course I wanted to study and where, so it isn't uncommon :smile:
Reply 18
Same! i haven't ordered any prospectuses, but i've browsed enough websites and read TSR wikis and gotten oh-so excited !
Original post by Abbseh

I was exactly like this during my GCSEs as well, it was the reason I joined TSR. Funnily enough its decreased a lot with my A levels. Nonetheless I'm still really excited to go to university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending