The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 Exam, June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What you people think the grade boundaries will be, how much ums for 26 marks ?
For 3a I put 3.75 million so I would agree with 3.8 million...
Reply 62
Original post by vandanparmar
For 3a I put 3.75 million so I would agree with 3.8 million...

Yeah, i put 3.7 so i'm sure there'll be leeway of -0.1/+0.1 each way

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?

I believe A* will be around 29/30, purely because for January 2011 the grade boundary were quite low.
Original post by elfandwonderful
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?

I believe A* will be around 29/30, purely because for January 2011 the grade boundary were quite low.

It seems that for the June papers, it has always been 32-34 for an A*. However, as this test was harder than most (like the January paper), it might drop to 29-30.
Original post by R.P.Everything.
It seems that for the June papers, it has always been 32-34 for an A*. However, as this test was harder than most (like the January paper), it might drop to 29-30.

I really do hope they lower the grade boundaries.
Reply 66
What exam did i do guys? :s-smilie: The questions i had are much different to yours but i had mine the same day at 9am?...
Ah I found that exam so hard! I got 18% for that percentage change one which most people seemed to get too - yay :biggrin: I think I did pretty badly though :frown:
Reply 68

No, in June 2007 you needed 28 for an A* I think :tongue: and the paper was similer to than one :tongue:
Reply 69
Original post by thatgirlbecky
Ah I found that exam so hard! I got 18% for that percentage change one which most people seemed to get too - yay :biggrin: I think I did pretty badly though :frown:

Same :frown: I got 46.6666666666666667... % ( 21 marks .... hopefuly the grade boundaries are low :tongue:
Reply 70
Here's my unofficial mark scheme. Correct me if I am wrong, tell me if there are other answers.

1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Test on patients to find optimum dose (3).

For number one i though it's trial testing on humans to find the optinum dose..
Original post by Sheel1
No, in June 2007 you needed 28 for an A* I think :tongue: and the paper was similer to than one :tongue:

I only averaged the paper from Jun 08, when the new specification was released.

Original post by Sheel1
For number one i though it's trial testing on humans to find the optinum dose..

From previous mark schemes, the dose is too small to have any effect in the first trial on humans. Also, healthy humans are used, not patients.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
I only averaged the paper from Jun 08, when the new specification was released.

Oh ok :biggrin: I was only saying since it's the lowest grade boundaries I saw

From previous mark schemes, the dose is too small to have any effect in the first trial on humans. Also, healthy humans are used, not patients.

:O , never thought of this :frown:
Reply 73
Can somebody help me, I did the UNIT 1 Biology Exam today but my questions were not the ones that you have all been talking about... and they were much easier too? :s-smilie:
Original post by ali_d123
Can somebody help me, I did the UNIT 1 Biology Exam today but my questions were not the ones that you have all been talking about... and they were much easier too? :s-smilie:

You either did the foundation paper, or the new specification biology test (out of 60 instead of 45).
Reply 75
You either did the foundation paper, or the new specification biology test (out of 60 instead of 45).

Ohhhh i seee, yeah i probably did the new spec, Which i thought was the normal spec because it is being replaced. i got worried for a bit that i had done the wrong exam :L .
hey guys are you talking about the exam which was out of 60 marks or the one which was out of 15 marks.
i mean 45 marks
hey guys are you talking about that biology exam that was sat at 9.am and which was out of 60 marks or the one which was out of 45 marks
Reply 79
1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans to find optimum dose/Forgot other :/ (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans/The average person doesn't have as many doses of caffeine /small sample size of only 50 (3).

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-3.8 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Closest relative of homo habilis?
- Homo ergaster (1)
3d) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no descendant species/Only 20% of the fossils were found in China. (2)
3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- Not enough evidence to back up results/Fossils hadn't been discovered (2).

4a) What is malnourishment?
- Imbalance of the 7 food groups. (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
-irregular periods/anorexia (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
-Bones waste away (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
-Mutation causes the lionfish to have an advantage over the other fish therefore causing variation, and as they are most suited to the environment they survive and reproduce so the population booms (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Role of FSH- Maturation of egg
Role of LH- Release of egg(2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Embryo divides, most healthy one(s) transferred back into the mother's womb. (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- The allele for taste was not expressed in the phenotype (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Genetic engineering (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- The gene for taste can be cut out of parent chromosome using enzymes and can be inserted into offspring's chromosome using enzyme (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18.1% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Natural mutation causes resistance in bacteria to antibiotics. (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 880 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Deforestation causes a loss in carbon 'sink', so the locked up CO2 is released, causing global warming, and as CO2 is a greenhouse gas it traps radiation going from the Earth to the Sun so that it re-radiates to Earth, warming it up. Oil contains sulphur impurities so when it is burnt it releases SO2 which dissolves in rainwater to form H2SO4 which is acid rain. As there are less trees there's less photosynthesis so less oxygen in the atmosphere. (5)

Can someone please mark this plz :smile: thanks :smile: and guys im defo 100% sure it was 880 because it was 4400 divided by 5 :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending