The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 Exam, June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Was this exam for the old spec, or the new one? Really need to know, think we sat the wrong exam!!
Reply 121
Original post by Allison.
what q's were there about malnutrition? never saw that? did i do a different test or something? the first q on our paper was about why painkillers didn't cure disease...

little worried now coz didn't see the q about malnutrition...

I was thinking that! I did the paper with the painkillers on the first question, the exam we both sat must have been different to most other people here?
Reply 122
Original post by DerMe
I was thinking that! I did the paper with the painkillers on the first question, the exam we both sat must have been different to most other people here?

This one is old spec, out of 45, there is another thread for new.
No, as in we were supposed to sit the new spec, but we sat this one instead:s-smilie: we've looked at the other forum and realised that all the work we've done was there! And thats why we fount this so hard! Im actually fuming!!
Reply 124
Original post by Aidanb90
This one is old spec, out of 45, there is another thread for new.

Oh ok. :smile:
1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans to find optimum dose/Use placebo for patients to see if effects. (there was a fourth and I matched it to first one because it was the first stage) (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans so not reliable/ un-realistic as humans don't tend to have six cups worth of caffeine/ unfortunately I cannot remember my third point (3)

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-4 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Closest relative of homo habilis?
- Homo ergaster (1)
3d) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no direct descendant /Only 20% of the fossils were found in China. (2)
3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- Not enough evidence to back up results/ can't remember second (2).

4a) What is Malnourishment?
- Not getting a balanced diet with the threat of damage to the immune system (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
- very thin, weak immune system (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
- Anorexia, Diarrhoea (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
- As a result of natural selection the lip fish mutates over time to become more adapted than the native fish to the Atlantic ocean. They survive as are better competitors and therefore pass their genes on to their offspring which inherit them and increase the population of lion fish (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Role of FSH- Matures the egg
Role of LH- Releases the egg(2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Sperm and egg mix, fertilise, embryo formed, scientists check for best embryo, placed into uterus of women and specific hormones given (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- Because sexual reproduction occurs which means variation due to different genes, the same characteristics are not kept so apples taste different (no fusion) (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Tissue culture (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- As a result of Asexual reproduction the cells have the same genetic information as their is only one parent and so a cloned species is created and has same characteristics too (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Due to natural selection the bacterium mutate over time as they have become increasingly more resistant to drugs such as antibiotics. The cells continue to pass on genetic information and the bacterium gets stronger. The body cannot produce the necessary antibodies/toxins which means people aren't immune and the bacterium continues to spread (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 860 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Deforestation decreases the amount of co2 taken in by the trees by photosynthesis, the trees are burnt and release locked up co2, others emissions are produced which are greenhouse gases and cause global warming. Machinery uses energy to cut down the trees so is using fuel, fuel for motors such as cars release co2 when burnt and add the the greenhouse effect. More heat energy is trapped between the layer of co2 and the earth that the temperature on earth increases due to atmospheric change (5)

I would appreciate it very much if somebody would mark this quite harshly but also fairly and tell me how you think I have done. I am willing to help anybody who wants advice also but please could somebody give me a rough idea of what I have got, thanks
Reply 126
Original post by maxtate
6200-1700 = 4500? Lol :smile:

LOL??? i dont know what i did, but i got 860?, i dont remember how i did though, clearly not that way haha, but a lot of people seem to be getting 860? because one of the squares was not full
Original post by ClarkyC...
1) Match the stages to the definitions?

3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- Not enough evidence to back up results/ can't remember second (2).

The other one that I put was that it goes against the religious teachings of the time...

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
- As a result of natural selection the lip fish mutates over time to become more adapted than the native fish to the Atlantic ocean. They survive as are better competitors and therefore pass their genes on to their offspring which inherit them and increase the population of lion fish (3).

For this one I talked about better adaptation or the lion fish being better suited... Also I talked about the fact that they would have less competition there...
Could anybody give me a rough score on what they think ?

I would give it about 36...
Reply 131
the problem personally for me with the paper, was the context the questions were put in to, they were awfully worded! anyone else think the same?
LETS HOPE LOW BOUNDARIES!!!
Reply 132

"Hmmm I wonder, think that might be a B..:s-smilie:"

LOL JK, yeah i think around 36/37 ??, gathering from how everyone felt about the exam, its safe to say, boundaries might be quite low, so probs an A*
Original post by daniya12
"Hmmm I wonder, think that might be a B..:s-smilie:"

LOL JK, yeah i think around 36/37 ??, gathering from how everyone felt about the exam, its safe to say, boundaries might be quite low, so probs an A*

Haha taste of my own medicine I see, thanks anyway :smile:
Errrm... guys, Ive done a totally different paper 2 you all because my first questiion asked "why can't painkillers cure illnesses? (1 mark) and had nothing to do with malnutrition and stuff ..... confused :frown:
Original post by cherrybliss1997
Errrm... guys, Ive done a totally different paper 2 you all because my first questiion asked "why can't painkillers cure illnesses? (1 mark) and had nothing to do with malnutrition and stuff ..... confused :frown:

New spec paper perhaps?
Reply 136
Original post by cherrybliss1997

Yeah it was the new spec (60 minutes, 60 marks). :smile:
Reply 137
1) -Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Small doses to check human effect (3).

2) -Tested on mice not humans/small sample size of only 50/time scale of 2 months too short/no repeats (3).

3a) -3.8 million years (1)
3b) -Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) -Homo ergaster (1)
3d) -Another species could be responsible/Homo erectus fossils found elsewhere, not just in China. (2)
3e) -No discovery of genetics or DNA/Inadequate evidence to prove his theory (2).

4a) - Imbalance of the different food types (1).
4b) -Irregular periods/stunted growth (2).
4c) -Zambia (1)
4d) - Starvation/anorexia (2).

5) - Mutation & variation/best adapted to the environment survive (survival of the fittest)/they reproduce and pass on these characteristics (3).

6a) -Chance of getting pregnant falls/infertility rate rises (2).
6b) -FSH - causes egg to mature/LH - stimulates egg to be released (2).
6c) - Embryos formed through division/1 or 2 best ones chosen/placed in uterus of the mother (2)

7a) Genetic variation means a mixture of genes of the parent "cells" form the daughter "cells"/different characteristics/different taste (2).
7b) -Cuttings (1).
7c) - Take a cutting/replant it/genetically identical to parent/same characteristics so same taste (2).

8a) -18.1% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Natural mutation & variation/Causes resistance in bacteria/to antibiotics/less affected by antibiotics, so harder to treat/adapt better and survive because they're the best adapted/reproduce so more are resistant (3).

9a) -860 per year. (2)
9b) -Deforestation reduces volume of carbon sinks/more CO2 in the atmosphere/because of less photosynthesis/more greenhouse gases present so effect of global warming worsens/combustion produces not only CO2 but sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides/how these affect atmospheric composition (5)

Would be great if someone could mark that, and tell me the Qs I lost marks on if possible. Cheers :smile:
would someone link me to the forum discussing the new spec, please?:smile:
PLEASE CAN ANYONE PUT UP THE FOUNDATION UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME FOR THIS EXAM I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEE! :confused: THANK YOU IF YOU DO :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending