The Student Room Group

How good is employability for history graduates?

What employment prospects can be gained from a history degree? I know that there are two other threads on a similar subject, however neither provide particularly mature discussion of the subject overall so this new thread will hopefully be an improvement.
Does it matter which university you have graduated from?
On graduate schemes which I have looked at, most require a 2:1 or a first but not in a specific subject. This means that a history graduate has good opportunities available, although it may be said that they are not really at much of an advantage to gradutes of other subjects.
I am intending to read history at university however, as the current economic climate is concerning, I want an honest account of the degrees worth.:smile:
People paint a pretty grim picture of prospects for history graduates. I'm just about to go into my third year. It's scary but if you want it and internships and allsorts...it can work out in your favour.
Reply 2
I'm starting a History degree this year, so while I can't speak much from experience, the general perception is that there are a few history graduates who you might hear about as being unemployed, but only due to a lack of extra-curricular activities.
As above, if you can try and get some work experience/internships then you should be fine.

At least that's what I'm hoping for :biggrin:
Original post by historygirl
What employment prospects can be gained from a history degree? I know that there are two other threads on a similar subject, however neither provide particularly mature discussion of the subject overall so this new thread will hopefully be an improvement.
Does it matter which university you have graduated from?
On graduate schemes which I have looked at, most require a 2:1 or a first but not in a specific subject. This means that a history graduate has good opportunities available, although it may be said that they are not really at much of an advantage to gradutes of other subjects.
I am intending to read history at university however, as the current economic climate is concerning, I want an honest account of the degrees worth.:smile:

PLEASE,PLEASE dont do history, if you like it than you can study part time

my story : philosophy applicant until i realised uselessness of dgree, know i am doing foundation year of meng mechanical engineering, and hoping to become a petroleum engineer

please dont study history, ive known many a person regret there choice because of the sucess of their medicine, engineering, nursing, pharmacy , finance and accounting friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending