The Student Room Group

AQA Statistics 2 (B) Exam Thursday 21st June

Couldn't find a thread for this season's exam, so I thought I'd start one. How's everyone's revision going for this exam? Any revision materials/ tips/ hard past paper questions etc that people would like to share?
To get the ball rolling, here's a link (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php) from the Further Maths Support Network to their online revision videos. I've not personally yet watched the S2B video myself, but their M1 one was good :-)

Confused over whether you should be using n, or n-1? Check out AQA's guide here; http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-6360-6380-W-TRB-S1-GUIDANCE.PDF
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dreading this exam!!
Reply 2
Original post by PhysicsGirl
Couldn't find a thread for this season's exam, so I thought I'd start one. How's everyone's revision going for this exam? Any revision materials/ tips/ hard past paper questions etc that people would like to share?
To get the ball rolling, here's a link (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php) from the Further Maths Support Network to their online revision videos. I've not personally yet watched the S2B video myself, but their M1 one was good :-)

The S2B video was amazing, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by HappyBun
The S2B video was amazing, thank you!

No problem, I'm glad it helped :-) How are you feeling about the exam?
Reply 4
I hate stats, but at least there are lots of guaranteed marks, only the one exam after this, can't wait for this week to be over! :smile:
Reply 5
No problem, I'm glad it helped :-) How are you feeling about the exam?

Quite good actually, I just need to master the questions with P(...|...) in as they are so confusing :/ How about you? :smile:
Reply 6

Hey does anyone have the S2 Jan 2012 paper?

Cheers
Reply 7
Original post by NinjaRikki
Hey does anyone have the S2 Jan 2012 paper?

Cheers

QP and MS :smile:! Good luck!
Reply 8
Quite good actually, I just need to master the questions with P(...|...) in as they are so confusing :/ How about you? :smile:

Yeah, I'm not feeling too bad about S2- more worried about M2, really! I just hope that our S2 paper is straightforward and nice :-)
Reply 9
QP and MS :smile:! Good luck!

Thank you!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 10
hi all

A couple of things which annoy me, is 30 considered large??? would i use z table or t table? and i always do something wrong on contingency tables, a stupid calculation error so need to check that in spare time.
Is it right that if the data has a known standard deviation use a z table, if it is unknown and sample is large use z table and if it is unknown and the sample is small use t table???

Also at the end of a hypothesis there is no difference between accept Ho and do not reject Ho is there??

thanks for any help
Reply 11
Original post by 5elsste
hi all

A couple of things which annoy me, is 30 considered large??? would i use z table or t table? and i always do something wrong on contingency tables, a stupid calculation error so need to check that in spare time.
Is it right that if the data has a known standard deviation use a z table, if it is unknown and sample is large use z table and if it is unknown and the sample is small use t table???

Also at the end of a hypothesis there is no difference between accept Ho and do not reject Ho is there??

thanks for any help

This is a copy of the table given in the S2 Textbook, (it's on page 113):

Population, Variance, Sample size, Reference Distribution

Normal, Known, Any, N(0,1)
Normal, Unknown, Any, t(n-1)
Any, Known, Greater than or equal to 30, N(0,1)
Any, Unknown, Greater than or equal to 30, N(0,1)

Basically, learn the table and just find the row that fits the data that you have. The test statistic is always the same, it's just that if you know the standard deviation, you use that, and if you don't, then you use the unbiased estimator, the sample standard deviation.

Oh, and no, there's not a difference between concluding "do not reject H0" and "accept H0".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Ahh thank you for the help, i must have a different textbook but have found something very similar in mine! Need to do well on Thursday. What uni you wanting to go to? and what to study? i have a really weird offer from Manchester to study maths A*BB but the A* has to be in maths.
Reply 13
Original post by Lollyage
Dreading this exam!!

You'll ace it Lola :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Nerdatious
You'll ace it Lola :biggrin:

Haha hope so Zozo, after the calamity that was core 4, I really need this to go well! :tongue:
Reply 15
Haha hope so Zozo, after the calamity that was core 4, I really need this to go well! :tongue:

SAME!
Core 4 was absolutely disgusting hahah.
Have you tried the video link posted up above ^^ ?
It's good the guy explains lots of questions :biggrin:

JUST 2 EXAMS LEFT YAAAY!
Reply 16
Original post by Nerdatious
SAME!
Core 4 was absolutely disgusting hahah.
Have you tried the video link posted up above ^^ ?
It's good the guy explains lots of questions :biggrin:

JUST 2 EXAMS LEFT YAAAY!

Link doesn't work for me :confused:
Yeah I know, core 4 could NOT have been worse, just praying for ridiculously low grade boundaries :biggrin: I only have stats left, can't wait for freedom!! :woo:
Reply 17
Link doesn't work for me :confused:
Yeah I know, core 4 could NOT have been worse, just praying for ridiculously low grade boundaries :biggrin: I only have stats left, can't wait for freedom!! :woo:

You lucky thing,
oh? :s-smilie:

https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2012-05-31.1024.M.A19094825530A985248BE7E885D3EB.vcr&sid=2007018

That should work and allow the file to be downloaded. :smile:
Reply 18

Still says it can't play because of something that's missing from my computer. :frown: Oh well, I think I've pretty much covered the module now and I'm just doing past papers!!
Can't wait for it all to be over :colone:
Reply 19
Still says it can't play because of something that's missing from my computer. :frown: Oh well, I think I've pretty much covered the module now and I'm just doing past papers!!
Can't wait for it all to be over :colone:

Oh :s-smilie: okay. LUCKY YOU! :huff:
Haha only kidding, I had covered the syllabus a couple of weeks ago but then haven't done any since except for tonight and tomorrow I will do some of course!
So fingers crossed that it has all stuck in my head! Just working from the textbook at the moment :teehee:

I need some more difficult past papers as the ones in the pack are not even close to the standard of questions that they give now! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending