The Student Room Group

The Online Dating Chat Thread I

Scroll to see replies

I joined OKcupid ages ago ( 2+ years ) i got sick of it and deleted it same with Pof. I joined OKcupid again maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago.

So far I've had alot of views, alot of messages but a quarter at most were only worth replying to. I know that might sound bitchy but it's so hard to try and start a convo with someone when all they do is say hi and nothing else, their profile isnt filled out and no pics. Or else they have a pic and nothing else. The ones I did reply to were ok for a few messages but then I either don't reply cause i've lost interest or they turn out to be creepy. I think i pissed off one lad too, but he deserved it. I'm sure some of them get bored of me too. I'm human I have flaws I'm not perfect I can accept that.

I have chatted to people who I find attractive on it, the conversation can be good for a short while or it can go bad quickly. I think the trouble is finding someone who is attractive, good personality, who can hold a conversation but also keep me interested. I mean I'm not going to meet them straight away after 2 days or give them my mobile number, I have never met anyone from the internet before. I would like to at least chat to them for a few weeks to see are they decent or will it just be a waste of time.

I only have one pic up. i have no problem sending more to someone after we chat, im just not comfortable with lots of my photo's on the site. It's seriously embarrassing when you see someone you went to school with checking you your profile.

I'm not racist at all, but the amount of Asian men who are very very forward on OKcupid and practically say everything to you in the first message is disturbing. It's hilarious though when you get a message thats just like " Ride ? " ... i have had some funny ones.

I think i joined it more to chat to people and have a look at the talent over in england im moving there soon :colone:
Original post by gemmam
I think it's pretty rare that online dating works for anyone. I really want to delete my okcupid account now but my laptop has broken and I can't do it from the mobile ap :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i

Pop into a net cafe if you get the chance ? sorry to hear about your laptop :frown: hope you get it fixed !
Reply 342
Original post by The_River
Pop into a net cafe if you get the chance ? sorry to hear about your laptop :frown: hope you get it fixed !

Where in England are you moving to? Thanks I know someone who is good with computers so going to get him to take a look at it, I'm going to my sister's this week so I could see if I can use hers to do it. I agree with you about some of the men on dating sites, some are way too creepy I even got one with the guy telling me he envied my tampons :unimpressed:, like you I've recieved many messages but I hardly got any worth replying too. It's not like I have too high standards either, I just want to find a nice normal bloke.

Did the unthinkable. Sent a message to a dude and got a response :eek: This has never happened :tongue:
Original post by cpdavis
Did the unthinkable. Sent a message to a dude and got a response :eek: This has never happened :tongue:

Why's that unthinkable?

Actually thinking about it, I wonder if looking for people of the same gender works better on dating sites, because it gets rid of the crazily imbalanced gender dynamic that exists for people seeking heterosexual relationships.
Original post by Chumbaniya
Why's that unthinkable?

Actually thinking about it, I wonder if looking for people of the same gender works better on dating sites, because it gets rid of the crazily imbalanced gender dynamic that exists for people seeking heterosexual relationships.

Well I have a massive problem with internet dating websites and it does scare me sometimes :sadnod:

Ironically, I find it easier to find opposite sex relationships in real life (and sometimes on the internet), but for same sex it's the opposite :tongue:
Original post by gemmam
Where in England are you moving to? Thanks I know someone who is good with computers so going to get him to take a look at it, I'm going to my sister's this week so I could see if I can use hers to do it. I agree with you about some of the men on dating sites, some are way too creepy I even got one with the guy telling me he envied my tampons :unimpressed:, like you I've recieved many messages but I hardly got any worth replying too. It's not like I have too high standards either, I just want to find a nice normal bloke.

I'm moving to yorkshire for a hons degree :biggrin: i cant wait so excited about it. Hopefully you will get it sorted. I'm going to keep mine and if it gets even more boring i will deactivate until England. I guess I just want to join it cause i will be in a new country and its nice to chat to people. Of course there will be students aswell but they wont be there all the time. I never got that said to me before, i would have blocked straight away. i think i got some creepy ones myself but i just got rid of straight away.

Do you message lads ? if i see someone i might message them it depends if i like pics/personality. its weird though you message someone who you think you might like and you only get a reply half the time. i think its hit & miss for everyone on these sites though.

if you like them they dont like you.if they like you, you dont like them. and sometimes both parties like eachother.
Reply 347
Original post by The_River
I'm moving to yorkshire for a hons degree :biggrin: i cant wait so excited about it. Hopefully you will get it sorted. I'm going to keep mine and if it gets even more boring i will deactivate until England. I guess I just want to join it cause i will be in a new country and its nice to chat to people. Of course there will be students aswell but they wont be there all the time. I never got that said to me before, i would have blocked straight away. i think i got some creepy ones myself but i just got rid of straight away.

Do you message lads ? if i see someone i might message them it depends if i like pics/personality. its weird though you message someone who you think you might like and you only get a reply half the time. i think its hit & miss for everyone on these sites though.

if you like them they dont like you.if they like you, you dont like them. and sometimes both parties like eachother.

Not this time but I did last time I tried online dating. Good luck, wish I had moved away for uni, thinking of moving away to do my post grad study though. Yorkshire is a good choice I've been to there a few times on weekend breaks or when I visted my brother when he was at uni. I think another problem with men on dating sites is that some of them come across as being desperate which isn't attractive. Some of these guys could be decent guys in reality, just their behavoir on dating sites puts women off.

o.O

Still no luck for the Lemming. Not really trying as much as I used to.. :/
Got a message from this... New low.... What the ****kkk

Reply 350
Original post by Bleak Lemming

Why on earth has she put a picture of herself getting kissed by a shirtless man on her profile? :lolwut:

Maybe she thinks this makes her look desirable.... but really she just looks like she has no neck :redface:
Reply 352
Original post by gemmam
I think it's pretty rare that online dating works for anyone. I really want to delete my okcupid account now but my laptop has broken and I can't do it from the mobile ap :frown:

Meh i'll keep mine to keep options open..i jus' don't think theres many options in my area ;(
I don't have much will to actually look for people at the moment but I'll leave my accounts up anyway. It seems like a couple of possibly interesting prospects have dried up, both of which were initiated by them rather than me - one of them wasn't even a dating site, but a girl who thought I was attractive having seen my posts to a facebook event for a Starcraft 2 tournament we were both attending. I had high hopes for that one, as having eSports get me laid would have been worth pretty serious bragging rights.

EDIT: Just noticed my post count is over 9000!
Reply 354
Original post by `R92
Meh i'll keep mine to keep options open..i jus' don't think theres many options in my area ;(

Ha same here, pretty depressing really. I haven't logged in to mine for a day and haven't gotten any messages, so fingers crossed if I stay off it then that'll remain the case. Unless of course there happends to be a guy aged 25-30 who lives in my area who'll message something better than "hey bbe u fit u gt msn?" or a creepy, desparate begging letter. However I'm not holding out much hope!

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 355
Original post by gemmam
hey bbe u fit u gt msn?

hey bbe u fit u gt bbm?

Fixed.
Reply 356
http://www.forkparty.com/31286/3-ways-to-appear-desperate-on-okcupid

Reply 357
Original post by gemmam
http://www.forkparty.com/31286/3-ways-to-appear-desperate-on-okcupid

Is this a piss take or should I really reconsider my approach? :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i

Isn't it a scary thought, you post a picture of yourself on a dating site - looking for love and people repost it on internet forums mocking you?
I don't think I could ever join an internet dating site if this is actually what happens. It's quite depressing really.

Seeing as online dating is no long an option- I'm going to accept I shall be forever alone. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 359
Original post by DWC
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i

I'm sure you'd have the ladies swooning. Seriously I had some guy send me a message begging to give him a chance, then went on to send three more messages even after ignoring him. Funny thing is if he had sent me a normal message just commenting on something on my profile or asking me what I had been up to, then I probably would've given him a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest