Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the BMI really a good indication of how healthy you are?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see people who's BMIs are over and they look healthy and there are people like me who's BMIs are normal (21.5) yet still look way too skinny. i am 6'2 and 12 stone and i am just skin and bone, i would look much healthier at around 14 stone which would out me in the over weight category or close to it.

anyone else think that BMI is a load of ****?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Healthy, not so much. Health is far more complex than one measure can ever capture.

In terms of looks, most men will look better with a bit muscle on them which will put them over/the high end of 'healthy' because it's not meant for fit people really. It works best for people who sit on their arses all day
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not a load of **** because it's a classification system based on susceptibility to diseases associated with being over/underweight e.g. obesity increases your risk of cardiovascular events and the average effect across the population is quantified using the BMI scale. You are correct, however, that it is not always completely valid in all individual cases. BMI is just an indicator that is used in combination with other measures, so it isn't too helpful when taken standalone.

It's worthwhile saying that your own assessment of your physical appearance doesn't necessarily correlate directly with your health. If your weight is stable and you're generally well, then with a BMI of 21.5 you're probably healthy regardless of the fact that you'd rather be packing a bit more mass with which to attract the ladies. If you do get up to 14 stone then the effect on your health will depend upon the composition of the extra mass. Additional muscle will be both healthier and more attractive than an expansion of adipose tissue, even though the BMI will be the same in both circumstances.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your body structure - my friends dad is really tall but super muscly, but he appears as obese because of the weight of his muscle... so yeah BMI is a fairly useful guide but it doesnt really work terribly well:/
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    BMI is jokes.

Apparently I'm "Obese".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmi-comparison.gif 
Views:	92 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	156257

does this answer your question?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolWhip123)
    I see people who's BMIs are over and they look healthy and there are people like me who's BMIs are normal (21.5) yet still look way too skinny. i am 6'2 and 12 stone and i am just skin and bone, i would look much healthier at around 14 stone which would out me in the over weight category or close to it.

anyone else think that BMI is a load of ****?
    The simpler the method of checking how healthy you are the more limitations it has. BMI isn't too bad in this day and age unless the person is too tall, too short or too old/young. It's also limiting if the person in question is really muscular. You'd think with that many limitations it'd be terrible but honestly the way I see it it's a way for us to tell people they're fat because a calculator says so. Most people that are overweight know they're overweight and don't need a number to tell them...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 12, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.