Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should I do an all nighter?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically my body clock is shambles.. I sleep at 5 and wake up at like 2pm and I have school next Monday.

Should I stay up until 10pm (19 hours away) to fix it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine by the time school comes back. I always barely sleep during holidays and there is no difference at all when I have to return to normal. You may have a day or two of being tired at school, but I think you are overthinking it with the overcompensating by skipping a day.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Join the club ..I work nights though do its ok for me. Hope you get back into the routine !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    you've got a coupld of options here.

First being to stay up (like you said) them 19 hours. However, if you get tired, napping for like an hour could keep you going.
    Alternatively, try sleeping a little earlier. Like aim to sleep an hour and a half or something earlier.

Its better to sort it now then to wait till sunday night, it gives you time to get used to it.

However, I am in the same situation with about the same hours. I still find it possible sometimes to sleep at like 1am, when I woke at 2pm.

Good luck
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    why would you need to ask someone what time to sleep?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Basically my body clock is shambles.. I sleep at 5 and wake up at like 2pm and I have school next Monday.

Should I stay up until 10pm (19 hours away) to fix it?
    Yeah you should. I did the same thing the other day, if you have exams I would.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princessofhistory)
    Yeah you should. I did the same thing the other day, if you have exams I would.
    Oh yeah, that's a good point I wouldn't advise going back to school out-of-routine if you have exams.
    P.S. most of the responses to this thread came after he went offline.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow I went to bed at 2ish and woke up at half 8!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i try to do this it never works... i stay up fine but STILL don't fall asleep or fall asleep at like 5-6 in the afternoon...

i think the best thing to do is go to bed around 9-10ish, have a cup of tea (no sugar), read... make sure your laptop isn't in the room or if you have a desktop take the mouse/keyboard off if you think you'd be tempted to go on facebook or whatever after not being able to sleep for like 30 mins.. lights off. sometimes relaxing music can help. NOT stuff you can start singing along with.

this helps me if i'm jetlagged, the rest of the time i just ignore my crappy body clock and live with it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Wow I went to bed at 2ish and woke up at half 8!!
    i woke up at 7:30 i win!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i try to do this it never works... i stay up fine but STILL don't fall asleep or fall asleep at like 5-6 in the afternoon...

i think the best thing to do is go to bed around 9-10ish, have a cup of tea (no sugar), read... make sure your laptop isn't in the room or if you have a desktop take the mouse/keyboard off if you think you'd be tempted to go on facebook or whatever after not being able to sleep for like 30 mins.. lights off. sometimes relaxing music can help. NOT stuff you can start singing along with.

this helps me if i'm jetlagged, the rest of the time i just ignore my crappy body clock and live with it.
    Lmao I used to just go to sleep at say 3 and wake up at 7 for school but I was like a zombie in school and it was unbearable haha
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Force yourself to wake up at 7 or 8 every day, then gradually you will get tired enough to sleep at midnight or earlier. It works, you just have to be disciplined about the waking up
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i woke up at 7:30 i win!
    Can I beat this and say I went to bed at half 6 and got up at 8? both AM

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.