The Student Room Group

Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 1 Answers June 2012

Scroll to see replies

What did the first question about the short bread ask?
Reply 101
Original post by Mr M
I didn't think they were any harder really so I think the boundaries will be very similar to the previous Linear specification.

March 2012 was 158, June 2011 was 162.

I personally think it will be about 157/8. Agree to disagree?
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
What did the first question about the short bread ask?

How many shortcakes does Liz make?

You needed to multiply 12 by 2.5
Reply 103
Judging from your unofficial mark scheme, I got around 92/100, which I'm pleased with :smile: what would (roughly) be an A* on this paper?
Reply 104
mr m can i have biased for q1b
Reply 105
Hi Mr M from looking at the answers you have provided for the paper, I think I have done bad and have only scored 48 and I need a B for my career in Engineering, so I was wondering how many marks I need to get in the second paper to get a B grade.
Reply 106
I also did this exam, i found it extremely hard compared to the past papers, this must be due to the new specimen, anyways, i felt like i was being asked as type questions.
If anyone could tell me just roughly how many marks they think that they got, it will help me to work out whether i have not well or not.
MR M- could you please help me by explaing how ... r^3 =3X^2 equals r=3x???? please
Original post by DonA
mr m can i have biased for q1b

I think so.
Original post by games211
MR M- could you please help me by explaing how ... r^3 =3X^2 equals r=3x???? please

It doesn't.
Reply 110
Original post by games211

It doesn't...
Original post by Mr M
Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 1 Answers June 2011

1. Questionnaire

a) Suitable table (2 marks)

b) Sample too small OR not representative (1 mark)

2. Paving slabs

a) Yes (he needs 30 slabs) (3 marks)

b) £276.16 (3 marks)

3. Parcels

a) £10 (1 mark)

b) Ed is cheaper than Bill for distances under 20 miles and more expensive for distances over 20 miles. The cost is the same for a distance of 20 miles. (3 marks)

4. Stem and leaf diagram

2 | 9
3 | 1 3 5 6 9
4 | 2 3 3 4 6 8 9
5 | 2 4 5

Key: 2 | 9 = 29 mph (3 marks)

5. Medicine

8 (2 marks)

6. Shortcakes

a) 30 (2 marks)

b) 60 (2 marks)

7. Buses

11.00 a.m. (3 marks)

8. Algebra

a) 6y156y-15 (1 mark)

b) 4x(2x+y)4x(2x+y) (2 marks)

c) h=10tgh=\frac{10t}{g} (2 marks)

9. Rotation

Rotation 180 degrees about (3, 3) (3 marks)

10. Train tickets

Railtickets (65p cheaper) (4 marks)

11. Parallelogram

39 (3 marks)

12. Orange juice

4 (3 marks)

13. Hexagon and octagon

105 degrees (4 marks)

14. Lighthouse and harbour

a) 35 km (1 mark)

b) 110 degrees (1 mark)

c) Position marked 4 cm away on correct bearing (2 marks)

15. Cumulative frequency

a) 170 g (1 mark)

b) Correct box plot (3 marks)

c) Median of group A is higher than that of group B and interquartile range of A is bigger than B or other correct comparisons (2 marks)

16. More algebra

a) m10m^{-10} (1 mark)

b) (x+5)(x2)(x+5)(x-2) (2 marks)

17. Standard form

a) 1 (1 mark)

b) 0.000067 (1 mark)

c) 2.7×10142.7 \times 10^{14} (2 marks)

18. Area of enlarged shape

1.5 (3 marks)

19. Probability tree diagram

a) Missing numbers: 0.6, 0.7, 0.3, 0.7 (2 marks)

b) 0.12 (2 marks)

20. Simultaneous equations

x = 3 and y = -2 (4 marks)

21. Circle theorems

Radius and tangent are perpendicular so angles OBA and ODA are 90 degrees

Angles in a quadrilateral sum to 360 degrees so angles DOB = 130 degrees

Angle BCD = 65 degrees as angle at circumference is half the angle at the centre of the circle (4 marks)

22. Histogram

a) Correct bars (frequency densities 3, 5, 3.6, 1.2) (3 marks)

b) 18 (2 marks)

23. Algebraic fractions

a) x+42x3\frac{x+4}{2x-3} (3 marks)

b) 7x2x24\frac{7x-2}{x^2-4} (3 marks)

24. Recurring decimal

31110\frac{31}{110} (3 marks)

25. Cylinder and sphere

r = 3x (3 marks)

26. Graph transformations

a) Translation 3 units in the positive x direction (2 marks)

b) Stretch scale factor 2 in the y direction (2 marks)

Thanks as always, Mr M :smile:

Just two questions: For (24), I did it all correctly except at the end, I simplified the fraction incorrectly :mad: How many marks would that be?

And for (25), I stupidly decided to write x=r/3 rather than r=3x. I think my working was correct though. How many marks would that be?

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Thanks as always, Mr M :smile:

Just two questions: For (24), I did it all correctly except at the end, I simplified the fraction incorrectly :mad: How many marks would that be?

And for (25), I stupidle decided to write x=r/3 rather than r=3x. I think my working was correct though. How many marks would that be?

24) drop 1 mark

25) probably drop 1 mark (you might get away with this and be given full credit)
Original post by Mr M
24) drop 1 mark

25) probably drop 1 mark (you might get away with this and be given full credit)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 114
Hi Mr. M.
Could you please tell me why the paper cannot be released yet if that is the case? Is there anywhere I can download and take a look at the exam? It's not up on the Edexcel website, but when I'm checking how I did in M2/M4 its uploaded the day after on TheStudentRoom.

If you're wondering why I want to see it, it's cause my girlfriend sat the paper and said it was tough, not me :tongue:

Any reply would be appreciated.
Reply 115
I have estimated myself about 73 +/- 2 or 3.

So I need to ace this calc tommorow for an A*
Would the grade boundaries be low if majority of the people who took the test found it hard?:confused:
Hopefully:rolleyes: it's going to be like a walk in the park the calculator paper tomorrow...
Original post by Tachy
Hi Mr. M.
Could you please tell me why the paper cannot be released yet if that is the case? Is there anywhere I can download and take a look at the exam? It's not up on the Edexcel website, but when I'm checking how I did in M2/M4 its uploaded the day after on TheStudentRoom.

If you're wondering why I want to see it, it's cause my girlfriend sat the paper and said it was tough, not me :tongue:

Any reply would be appreciated.

The paper is available to teachers now but will not be made available to the general public on the Edexcel website until November at the earliest as teachers like to use the most recent paper for their next mock exam.
Original post by creativexx76
Would the grade boundaries be low if majority of the people who took the test found it hard?:confused:

yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending