The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Well what do you propose, without changing the definition of a marriage?
Original post by Bart1331
Well what do you propose, without changing the definition of a marriage?

Care to explain to me why the Church should have sole discretion on the definition of marriage, or why it must be between one man and one woman, when historically this is not the case? Marriage would still be the union of two people. Personally to me it wouldn't be a change.
Reply 282
Is there anything wrong with the current system? I understand that marriage is a union between a man and a woman, however being keen on equal rights I support civil partnerships for gay men and lesbians.

Imagine going to school for the first time. You turn up and are about to enter but someone stops you and says;
'You are not allowed to come in, you must be educated over there' (indicates to an office building)
'Oh, why is that?'
'You will receive the same level of education and come out with an equivalent qualification'
'Yeah but why can't I go to school? All my friends and family have gone to school?'
'You can't because you are left handed'
'Why does that change anything?'
'It just does, school education is defined as only for people who are right handed'
'Well that is silly, who decided that?'
'Its the definition. We must follow the definition. Anyway what is wrong with the other building? You will receive an equivalent education, what is wrong with that?'
'You seem to be implying that I should be happy with what you are giving me, as if I am perhaps not be deserving of it or in the past I would not have got an education at all. Why cant I just go to school with everyone else? Am I different in some way?'
'Yes, you are left handed'
'Can I help that?'
'Well....no I suppose not'
'Then who decided that left handed ad right handed people cannot be educated together? We all want to learn'
'Well there is this book called the bible..'
'You have got to be ****ting me.'
I don't understand why the Church thinks it has a monopoly on marriage. Marriage has been around long before The Church of England and Christianity. Religious people be trippin.
Reply 284
I don't think that churches that don't believe in gay marriage should be forced to conduct them. Would legislation accomodate this?
Reply 285
Except they are though. Marriage is a union between a man and a woman. However we live in modern times, where gay people and lesbian people (quite rightly) expect equal treatment. The solution is civil partnerships, which are pretty much the same.

If they're "pretty much the same", why not call them the same thing? Why should the law use different terms for things which are, from a legal point of view, the exact same thing?

I actually don't mind either way if they call that thing marriage or something else. I just think for the sake of legal equality, there should be a single legal term for it.
Reply 286
I don't think that churches that don't believe in gay marriage should be forced to conduct them. Would legislation accomodate this?

Yes. That has always been the case. To my knowledge, no one has ever seriously proposed religions should be forced to conduct gay marriages. It's not on the table at all. In fact, I think the current plans specifically forbid it. Even if a religion agrees with gay marriage, they will still be banned from conducting gay marriages.

Who has even mentioned 'forcing' churches to perform same sex marriages? And expanding on this question why is it that the law should prevent those religions that wish to marry homosexuals?
Reply 288
My concern is that legislation would be passed, then a human rights complaint would be lodged on equality grounds, which would in effect force them to conduct it or be prosecuted.
My concern is that legislation would be passed, then a human rights complaint would be lodged on equality grounds, which would in effect force them to conduct it or be prosecuted.

That legislation wouldn't pass as it infringes in right to practice religion.

Also let's try to use the quote function please? It makes things much easier. That's why it's there.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
x
And as someone else noted currently legislation proposals specifically address that concern by forbidding such actions being allowed.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 291
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
And as someone else noted currently legislation proposals specifically address that concern by forbidding such actions being allowed.

What is that legislation that this person claims specifically addresses it?
What is that legislation that this person claims specifically addresses it?

The proposed legislation would allow civil marriages, but would prohibit religious marriages, even if that particular religion/church was for gay marriage.
Please educate yourself on the debate before joining it.
I think gay ppl can do what they want. gay ppl r quite friendly :smile: Im 13 btw. Y do ppl always use the word "gay" as an insult when it's just ppl that like the same gender.

Original post by Miracle Day
First of all I'm Christian.

Who cares what the damn Church of England says? Religion should not interfere with politics, especially not in a secular country.

Came to voice an opinion...saw Boris dancing, burst out laughing, forgot opinion :P Boris - calming the situation down since being released from captivity.
Does anyone know any good social network apps 4 iPod?

Original post by Ineluctable
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18405318

What does everyone think about this?

I for one am relieved that the Church of England is continuing to defend the traditional idea and sacred institution of marriage.

The COE was formed so that henry VIII could divorce his wife.

Given that the idea of marriage is to commit yourself to one person FOR LIFE. I'd say that the COE is built on going against the idea of traditional marriage making that statement complete BS.

Also people argue about the sanctity of marriage being threatened but why do a straight couple have the right to marry for the 5th time and gay people don't even get one shot at it?

Latest