Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rangers FC to liquidate.

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Googled it again, still can't find a clear explanation lol. When you say illegally obtained money, what do you mean? Did they rob a bank or is it just a case of them overspending with money they didn't have and getting into unsustainable debt?
    Think of it as fraud. Some white collar offences are a bit difficult to explain to laypeople but it's not helped when such instances get described as being a scandal rather than a crime. They were not paying their taxes so the money, that would have otherwise gone to HMRC, went to players etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Googled it again, still can't find a clear explanation lol. When you say illegally obtained money, what do you mean? Did they rob a bank or is it just a case of them overspending with money they didn't have and getting into unsustainable debt?
    Borrowing massive amounts of money, not paying income tax on it, not paying it back, buying players from other clubs without paying the full transfer fees, the works.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you briefly explain how Rangers cheated? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the situation and every article online is so long winded and opinionated
    I'm not an expert about it, but what I think happened is that Rangers payed players via a company which then loaned the money back to the players which they didn't have to pay back, and since it's a loan, they didn't have to pay an tax, thus avoiding paying income tax for the staff and other forms of tax. They did it for years, and this meant that they could afford players salaries and signing fees with the money they managed to avoid paying in tax. That's what I think happened.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you briefly explain how Rangers cheated? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the situation and every article online is so long winded and opinionated
    They paid their employees through EBTs from an offshore accounts so that the players wages (or the majority of) wouldn't be taxed. They were given these payments as "loans" that they were never required to pay back.

Along with their contract with the club they were handed another contract regarding the EBT and how they would not be liable for any charges should HMRC come after them (although not entirely sure if that part is true but they definitely had dual contracts, that seems to be what's caught them).

So essentially the players had dual contracts, which is not allowed in football, meaning every game they've played since roughly 1999 (earlier?) should have been a 3-0 defeat assuming at least one player on the pitch at the time had a dual contract.

There's more, but I'll let you read that section first, if you wish to know more, quote me and ask. There is so much stuff out there it's unbelievable, can't blame you for avoiding it :top:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the information, interesting to know. I think the chairman and people involved deserve prison time tbh. I think anyone else would for that level of fraud.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I bet loads of clubs are doing it or other questionable things. You just don't hear about it. If Rangers can keep it hidden for 13+ years why can't others?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So are rangers as a football team gone forever?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I bet loads of clubs are doing it or other questionable things. You just don't hear about it. If Rangers can keep it hidden for 13+ years why can't others?
    It's a good point. Fulham concealed the fact that Elvis Hammond was a recreational drug user and said that he was injured. I think it wasn't discovered until quite some time after he left Fulham, which is concerning because I think other clubs shouldn't be put in the dark over who they are buying.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdiz12)

lets just say that the EDL now has a Scottish wing...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Liquidated and gone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/111924-a...ped-of-titles/

They are breath-taking in their stupidity, to out it bluntly.

They keep trying to worm out of shouldering any responsibility for what their club has done by blaming it on the 'old regime', literally thinking that because they changed some of their staff there should be no punishment for what their club did. Yet they are more than happy to claim the titles won as a result of the cheating by the 'old regime'.

Loud and obnoxious in their deluded rants about how they still have their history, yet equally obnoxious in their denial of any blame for what happened during it. Any set of decent supporters with even a shred of dignity wouldn't want anything to do with their tainted history.

Then we look at what this fat clown McCoist has come out with:
    It is important to remember we have already had a 10 point deduction from the SPL
    This was not a punishment for the cheating, it was an automatic penalty for going into administration.

lost our Champions League place for finishing second last season
    You didn't 'lose' it, you did not meet the entry requirements to compete in Champions League.

had a £160,000 fine
    An extremely light penalty for bringing the entire Scottish game into disrepute, and explicitly trying to ruin Scottish football in the process.

been refused entry to the SPL, been relegated to Division 3
    Again, this is not a punishment. A new club is not entitled to start anywhere higher than Division 3. In fact, Rangers Newco do not even have the 3 years audited accounts to enter that league so they should be grateful a blind eye is being turned.

and lost the majority of our first team squad
    Nobody else's fault but your own.

yet still the governing body has chosen to impose further sanctions.
    Literally dismayed that the authorities may actually apply the rules to them. This just sums up the attitude of entitlement ever-present at Rangers, cultivated by a century of special treatment.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/111924-a...ped-of-titles/

They are breath-taking in their stupidity, to out it bluntly.

They keep trying to worm out of shouldering any responsibility for what their club has done by blaming it on the 'old regime', literally thinking that because they changed some of their staff there should be no punishment for what their club did. Yet they are more than happy to claim the titles won as a result of the cheating by the 'old regime'.

Loud and obnoxious in their deluded rants about how they still have their history, yet equally obnoxious in their denial of any blame for what happened during it. Any set of decent supporters with even a shred of dignity wouldn't want anything to do with their tainted history.

Then we look at what this fat clown McCoist has come out with:

This was not a punishment for the cheating, it was an automatic penalty for going into administration.

You didn't 'lose' it, you did not meet the entry requirements to compete in Champions League.

An extremely light penalty for bringing the entire Scottish game into disrepute, and explicitly trying to ruin Scottish football in the process.

Again, this is not a punishment. A new club is not entitled to start anywhere higher than Division 3. In fact, Rangers Newco do not even have the 3 years audited accounts to enter that league so they should be grateful a blind eye is being turned.

Nobody else's fault but your own.

Literally dismayed that the authorities may actually apply the rules to them. This just sums up the attitude of entitlement ever-present at Rangers, cultivated by a century of special treatment.
    100% bang on!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    wouldn't really care if we went to the 3rd division there will be no European Football for 3 years anyway regardless and it would be impossible to win the SPL with points deductions and clubs in the SFL are allowed to negotiate their own TV deals unlike the SPL teams so once Sky pull out of the SPL or cut it dramatically we can arrange our own TV deal and keep all the money while the smaller clubs in the SFL would get to benifit from additional ticket money from travelling fans.
    Wrong again it would seem
    • 12 followers

I think this could be the start of many big clubs going up the wall
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I think this could be the start of many big clubs going up the wall
    Rangers enjoyed a very privileged position in Scotland for many, many decades, with hordes of people in the authorities and media willing to turn a blind eye to the goings on at Ibrox.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rangers 4-0 East fife Round 1 of the league cup 07.08.2012

Ibrox stadium : 47,000

yup.... but apparently we are gone :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1tartanarmy)
    Rangers 4-0 East fife Round 1 of the league cup 07.08.2012

Ibrox stadium : 47,000

yup.... but apparently we are gone :cool:
    Proud to be one of that 47,000.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeUK)
    Proud to be one of that 47,000.
    :blow: Was a great night... made me so proud to be a bear. Fantastic
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1tartanarmy)
    :blow: Was a great night... made me so proud to be a bear. Fantastic
    It really was great!

I knew i was going for a while now, didn't have the money in the bank to pay for the ticket over the Rangers website and i found out i could pay at the gate - Bad idea lol!

Queued at the Copland stand for 10 minutes, got to the front - Sold Out. Ticket Office had a queue the length of Ibrox and eventually i got told to go to the Broomloan stand as it was currently the only stand left selling tickets - So as i was hurrying around there i noticed people were going in to the Club Deck (wasn't supposed to be open) and they were letting people buy tickets at the gate there
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeUK)
    It really was great!

I knew i was going for a while now, didn't have the money in the bank to pay for the ticket over the Rangers website and i found out i could pay at the gate - Bad idea lol!

Queued at the Copland stand for 10 minutes, got to the front - Sold Out. Ticket Office had a queue the length of Ibrox and eventually i got told to go to the Broomloan stand as it was currently the only stand left selling tickets - So as i was hurrying around there i noticed people were going in to the Club Deck (wasn't supposed to be open) and they were letting people buy tickets at the gate there
    hahah mate I was the nearly the same, I went to the broomloan first as I heard the copland was full.... waited there for about 40 mins and got to the front and found out too! sprint to the club deck queue anaw! Once I was in the club deck queue every now and again another batch would sprint down to join the queue... still managed kickoff though... thank goodness they put the kickoff back haha

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.