Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barrister deadlines

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i just finished me second year at University (studying LLB Law obviously) and im just confused regarding the steps towards what i should be doing.

I want to go down the barrister route, but just a little blurry over what should be done/the timetable for after a graduate in 2013. I understand for those wanting to do down the solicitor route, its a case of (atm) applying for a training contract (with most deadlines at the end for July, for students graduating in 2013, for 2014 TC's)...however what about the barrister route?

Am i correct in thinking its a case of joining one of the Inn's and then applying for a BPTC ...which would be followed by an application for a pupillage following completion of the BPTC?
    If so when would i have to apply for the BPTC (which is the source of my confusion), what are the deadlines?

Have i messed this up, and im too late?
    Its just that i heard about the TC deadlines for solicitors, and its got me a little worried regarding 'my route' i want to take and the deadlines etc

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you've got plenty of time!
    Your time frame will be this:

November 2012 for scholarships.
    January 2013 for BPTC
    January 2013 onwards for non-OLPAS Pupillage starting 2014.
    March/April 2013 for OLPAS pupillage starting 2014.
    May 2013 deadline to join an Inn of Court.

Notes on these:

Join an Inn of court by May 31 2013 - but good to do this at the start of your third year so you can apply for a scholarship which have November 2012 deadlines (the 5th I believe).

Apply for the BPTC by January 2013 (again, I think it is the 12th but a quick google will let you know). You apply for this via the Bar Professional Training website. (Make sure you know who you want to give you references and ensure they are available/OK with it). Obviously spend some time before this preparing your application - don't start it last minute.

You can choose to apply for pupillage in 2013 to get your foot in the door regarding interviews, but bear in mind the difficulty of securing pupillage (for 2014 after you finish your BPTC) from applications made pre-BPTC.
    These are made April/March via the Pupillage Portal: OLPAS - up to 12 applications. For non-OLPAS sets (as not all have signed up to it) some applications are needed from January onwards, research a bit. You can apply to as many sets which are non-OLPAS as you like in your desired field.

The only thing time-wise you should be thinking about is getting some mini-pupillages under your belt. If you have time over the summer, apply to various sets and see whether you can get between 3 days and 2 weeks 'shadowing' barristers.

If I've missed anything out, please feel free to correct me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnedutS waL)
    Don't worry you've got plenty of time!
    Your time frame will be this:

November 2012 for scholarships.
    January 2013 for BPTC
    January 2013 onwards for non-OLPAS Pupillage starting 2014.
    March/April 2013 for OLPAS pupillage starting 2014.

Join an Inn of court by May 31 2013 - but good to do this at the start of your third year so you can apply for a scholarship which have November 2012 deadlines (the 5th I believe).

Apply for the BPTC by January 2013 (again, I think it is the 12th but a quick google will let you know). You apply for this via the Bar Professional Training website. (Make sure you know who you want to give you references and ensure they are available/OK with it).

You can choose to apply for pupillage in 2013 to get your foot in the door regarding interviews, but bear in mind the difficulty of securing pupillage (for 2014 after you finish your BPTC) from applications made pre-BPTC.
    These are made April/March via the Pupillage Portal: OLPAS - up to 12 applications. For non-OLPAS sets (as not all have signed up to it) some applications are needed from January onwards, research a bit. You can apply to as many sets which are non-OLPAS as you like in your desired field.

The only thing time-wise you should be thinking about is getting some mini-pupillages under your belt. If you have time over the summer, apply to various sets and see whether you can get between 3 days and 2 weeks 'shadowing' barristers.

If I've missed anything out, please feel free to correct me.
    Thanks a lot, thats an awesome post...really helpful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LG1)
    Hey guys, i just finished me second year at University (studying LLB Law obviously) and im just confused regarding the steps towards what i should be doing.

I want to go down the barrister route, but just a little blurry over what should be done/the timetable for after a graduate in 2013. I understand for those wanting to do down the solicitor route, its a case of (atm) applying for a training contract (with most deadlines at the end for July, for students graduating in 2013, for 2014 TC's)...however what about the barrister route?

Am i correct in thinking its a case of joining one of the Inn's and then applying for a BPTC ...which would be followed by an application for a pupillage following completion of the BPTC?
    If so when would i have to apply for the BPTC (which is the source of my confusion), what are the deadlines?

Have i messed this up, and im too late?
    Its just that i heard about the TC deadlines for solicitors, and its got me a little worried regarding 'my route' i want to take and the deadlines etc

Thanks
    You're not too late. You can apply for your BPTC next year- application deadline is around February. More importantly you want to be applying for a BPTC scholarship at one of the Inns in November. It's probably worth spending your summer making sure this application looks good- think about why you want to go to the bar, do some research into it, potentially some work experience (at the very least try and have a chat with a barrister).

Chambers tend to recruit for pupillages around 18 months in advance- you can apply for them next year. Depending on the area of law that you're applying to this could start in January but the bulk will be in April. Were you to get a pupillage then you'd start it the September after you finished your BPTC.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.