The Student Room Group

Debating starting a access course.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarcJBrown
That's a huge downer. What was the reason given as to why you have to pay?

They have said that due to me not having a level 3 qualification the fee will be dropped to 1500 :s-smilie: I always presumed that if you got the funding then the course was funded. They then went on to tell me that if i was on job seekers I wouldnt have to pay anything at all, now i dont have a problem with people who are on jsa and actually looking for a job, however I think its out of order that they should get special treatment with things like education..
Reply 21
This doesn't make any sense. The student.gov website states that if you haven't already received a full level 3 qualification (this is classed as 2 A levels) and you are under 25 then you are eligible for free tuition. I would question this with your college as it really doesn't sound correct. I received an offer from my college after the interview and admissions tests and I am now just waiting for the letters to confirm it. I will then be making sure I have explained to the college that the government will cover the costs as I fit the criteria. I also believe you do. Fight it until you get an explanation! :yy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
Reply 22
Just found the page so you can take a look for yourself :smile:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033130

The key point being:
Free tuition to help you get new qualifications
If you don’t already have GCSEs, A levels or equivalent qualifications, you may be able to study for them without having to pay any tuition fees.
For learners starting their course in the 2012/13 academic year the Government may meet the tuition costs for:
a course which leads to your first full Level 2 qualification if you’re under 24
a course which leads to your first full Level 3 qualification if you’re under 25
Getting a Level 2 qualification can help you develop skills suitable for a range of jobs - and a Level 3 qualification could get you into university or higher education.
A full Level 2 is equivalent to five or more GCSEs at grades A* to C, and a full Level 3 to two A levels. But you’re not limited to just GCSEs and A levels. You could, for example, choose to do an NVQ or BTEC qualification that fits in with your career plans.
Reply 23
Original post by MarcJBrown
Just found the page so you can take a look for yourself :smile:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033130

The key point being:
Free tuition to help you get new qualifications
If you don’t already have GCSEs, A levels or equivalent qualifications, you may be able to study for them without having to pay any tuition fees.
For learners starting their course in the 2012/13 academic year the Government may meet the tuition costs for:
a course which leads to your first full Level 2 qualification if you’re under 24
a course which leads to your first full Level 3 qualification if you’re under 25
Getting a Level 2 qualification can help you develop skills suitable for a range of jobs - and a Level 3 qualification could get you into university or higher education.
A full Level 2 is equivalent to five or more GCSEs at grades A* to C, and a full Level 3 to two A levels. But you’re not limited to just GCSEs and A levels. You could, for example, choose to do an NVQ or BTEC qualification that fits in with your career plans.

The key word "may" allows fees to be charged. It sounds like the OP college is offering a 50% concession and restricting the 100% concessionary fees to learners on benefits.
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I have been trying to sort some things out, I have been told by that college that this if the fee I will have I pay and there is nothing else that can reduce it, I have found another college that I can do the course at, this however is going to force me I move all the down to Dorset so is of a mega inconvenience, the course their after deductions Is only £230 so I affordable. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending