Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So fed up; has anyone ever had this?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright I've posted a couple of threads about this before but I have no idea where they are as it was a couple of weeks ago or more. March 23rd I went to the doctors with symptoms of something else, came out with a water infection - I had pains in both sides of my back but not the spine or ribs. Was on one set of antibiotics, didn't work, so I went back and was put on another five day course. Went back again, ended up on a different type of antibiotic, those didn't work and by this point it was a deep-seated kidney infection, because nothing was working I went to hospital, had to stay overnight and had a scan but that came up clear and I was allowed to go home with more antibiotics. The infection cleared up after this lot (this was about the 10th of April by the time the infection cleared up) but I've been left with awful pain carrying on to now. I've been backwards and forwards to and from the doctors, now waiting for a scan appointment and referral to a urologist, but there's no infection there so I have no idea what it could be. It started off in both sides, now the pain is only in one side but it's really severe, it's on/off as to whether painkillers help, temperature is all over the show (the doctor asked me to keep a diary of temperatures and it's been as low as 35.3 and as high as 39 recently) and I'm also having other symptoms that I've been having since some time last year - fatigue, headaches, sore throats, confusion and difficulty concentrating, IBS-type symptoms - which I thought might have been ME. I also considered lupus as I've always had red cheeks and nose, which I thought was just generally having rosy cheeks until I saw a diagram of the malar rash people with lupus get and it looks pretty similar, but I had blood tests done twice - once at doctors and once at hospital - and I'm fairly sure it would have shown up?

I'm in the middle of my A2s and it's completely messed up revision and I've struggled in the exam I've had so far with concentration and it's been hurting to sit down for long periods of time, I'm really just so fed up now and although I hate self-diagnosing (I never tell a doctor what I think I might have because I know how much it can annoy them!) and I know the only people who can really diagnose me are doctor/hospital, has anyone ever had something similar to this - particularly the kidney problems - and can offer any advice?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Love the sig.) Sorry to hear you're having a bad time. At the ol' med school we're taught to ask a patient about their ideas/concerns about their complaint. So never fear saying to your doctor "I am worried that it might be xyz". It could be that you've not mentioned something thinking it's unimportant and by you saying "I think it's this" they might ask the right questions and find something out that helps. Or they may be able to put your fears to rest by saying "You'd need this to have that" or something similar.

I don't know what it is, but yeah. Don't fear telling your doctor that you think it might be somethin in particular.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Alright I've posted a couple of threads about this before but I have no idea where they are as it was a couple of weeks ago or more. March 23rd I went to the doctors with symptoms of something else, came out with a water infection - I had pains in both sides of my back but not the spine or ribs. Was on one set of antibiotics, didn't work, so I went back and was put on another five day course. Went back again, ended up on a different type of antibiotic, those didn't work and by this point it was a deep-seated kidney infection, because nothing was working I went to hospital, had to stay overnight and had a scan but that came up clear and I was allowed to go home with more antibiotics. The infection cleared up after this lot (this was about the 10th of April by the time the infection cleared up) but I've been left with awful pain carrying on to now. I've been backwards and forwards to and from the doctors, now waiting for a scan appointment and referral to a urologist, but there's no infection there so I have no idea what it could be. It started off in both sides, now the pain is only in one side but it's really severe, it's on/off as to whether painkillers help, temperature is all over the show (the doctor asked me to keep a diary of temperatures and it's been as low as 35.3 and as high as 39 recently) and I'm also having other symptoms that I've been having since some time last year - fatigue, headaches, sore throats, confusion and difficulty concentrating, IBS-type symptoms - which I thought might have been ME. I also considered lupus as I've always had red cheeks and nose, which I thought was just generally having rosy cheeks until I saw a diagram of the malar rash people with lupus get and it looks pretty similar, but I had blood tests done twice - once at doctors and once at hospital - and I'm fairly sure it would have shown up?

I'm in the middle of my A2s and it's completely messed up revision and I've struggled in the exam I've had so far with concentration and it's been hurting to sit down for long periods of time, I'm really just so fed up now and although I hate self-diagnosing (I never tell a doctor what I think I might have because I know how much it can annoy them!) and I know the only people who can really diagnose me are doctor/hospital, has anyone ever had something similar to this - particularly the kidney problems - and can offer any advice?
    It almost sounds like a sort of neuraligia - like what you get after shingles.

But why don't you try

http://symptoms.rightdiagnosis.com/

It will give you some differential diagnoses. It is of little comfort, but you have had fairly good investigations in terms of blood tests and scans and they have found nothing - which is good but I understand why you want to have something concrete to pin your symptoms to.

Carry on doing what you are doing in term of diary, but also look at everything else in your life such as diet, exercise, stress etc. The body is really good at healing itself - and I am not one of these woohoo alternative medicine people.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses and thanks squeakysquirrel for the link; unfortunately I'm now worrying that I have renal TB which I doubt is likely because I'm fairly sure it would've shown up on the scan or blood tests but I have something new to show my mom as we try and figure out what could be wrong with me thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry for this but there's not much we can add to it, you're just going to have to trust in your doctors. However, make sure your college know so just incase if you mess up in the exams you have extenuating circumstances to help you out of it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Thanks for the responses and thanks squeakysquirrel for the link; unfortunately I'm now worrying that I have renal TB which I doubt is likely because I'm fairly sure it would've shown up on the scan or blood tests but I have something new to show my mom as we try and figure out what could be wrong with me thanks!

I will bet pound to a penny you do not have renal TB - it is fairly rare! I have never seen it. Have to been exposed to TB?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JongKey)
    I'm sorry for this but there's not much we can add to it, you're just going to have to trust in your doctors. However, make sure your college know so just incase if you mess up in the exams you have extenuating circumstances to help you out of it.
    My mom emailed them to let them know that my doctor is willing to provide evidence for the illness to them and they haven't responded, I'm guessing we'll have to phone, and it'll have to be me because neither of my parents can talk on the phone.

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I will bet pound to a penny you do not have renal TB - it is fairly rare! I have never seen it. Have to been exposed to TB?
    I tend to be a fairly paranoid person, at first I thought "Oh no I have TB", then I realized that it would have shown up and I haven't even been exposed to TB (apparently it's quite prevalent in badgers around here but I'm scared of badgers so you wouldn't catch me within a mile of one let alone getting close enough for it to give me TB, now I realize I'll just have to wait until the appointments come through but thanks for the advice
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just an update, I've had a scan today and nothing out of the ordinary has shown up (but jesus, it hurt so much :sad: ), being referred to a urologist still I think and hopefully it'll end up just being residual pain or bruising.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear all the pain. hope you get better soon
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? I just want to say best of luck with it. I was very ill at 16 and 17 with vaguely similar symptoms. PLEASE don't spend too long on t'internet researching your symptoms because you sound a little I did, in that you have such a range you will come up with so many diagnoses some very serious which in medical terms are completely irrelevant to your situation. Plus if you are feeling very fatigued then you're wasting your precious energy.

If you are feeling fatigued and foggy and tired and heavy then talk to your doctor about Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If this continues then getting a definite diagnosis is very important, although you must have had symptoms for at least 6 months.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something treatable.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    How old are you? I just want to say best of luck with it. I was very ill at 16 and 17 with vaguely similar symptoms. PLEASE don't spend too long on t'internet researching your symptoms because you sound a little I did, in that you have such a range you will come up with so many diagnoses some very serious which in medical terms are completely irrelevant to your situation. Plus if you are feeling very fatigued then you're wasting your precious energy.

If you are feeling fatigued and foggy and tired and heavy then talk to your doctor about Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If this continues then getting a definite diagnosis is very important, although you must have had symptoms for at least 6 months.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something treatable.
    I'm 17, I'll be 18 next month. I've been avoiding symptom checkers as much as possible the last few weeks, reassured myself that if there's anything, the doctors will find it. The woman who did the scan mentioned something about kidney function tests, not sure if I've had one but from the amount of pain in the scan I really think it's just bruising and every time I knock it against something (which is often because I'm clumsy and people in supermarkets have no patience and will nudge you in the back with their trolley rather than say "excuse me" :mad: ) it stops it from healing up.

Thanks for the advice

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.