The Student Room Group

OCR History B (Modern World) GCSE - 12th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by L_Vieru
Oh crap.
These answers are completely different. I wrote for the bolshevik question that the purpose of the source was to encourage the people of Germany to take a stance against communism. The blood thirsty dog who has appeared to kill a German supports the idea that the communists were using violence to seize power and control the german people and that communism is a world threat/danger. At the time..blah..blah...spartacists...
^was done in more detail but that's the brief idea. Is that, completely out of context?

One other source that I completely messed up on was the Transparent Dodge source. Did anyone else get confused over what it was?

?? I think that was the 'right' answer :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by momo26396
- Wrote it did prove, because of the words it used 'liars' etc
- Wrote it did not prove because it was shortsighted (hyperinflation and ruhr next year), starvation & disease in germany
Also, how the british person wanted to write good stuff so to please british people at home because they feared germany would attack in the future for revenge if the treaty was harsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Conclusion, not prove, it was wrong and backed up my claims

I won't be suprised if you got an A*
Did anyone else do the one about hitler's policies aimed at workers and families?
Original post by AKKaur
Woah i bet that's what you wrote in the exam, word for word :rolleyes:

http://theearthisdying.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/the-german-revolution-of-1918-1919-it-was-the-first-songless-revolution-in-history/

Lol, they got it from here.
Reply 124
Original post by Melissajanex
It was ok I guess not to tough. There was one question I struggled with which was about why Italy and Japan were a threat to world peace:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well Japan were expanding its naval arm to rival Britain and the USA; Italy had participated in the 1936 invasion of Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War; both Italy and Japan had discredited the League by using aggression to gain what they wanted. Italy also drifted towards Germany after 1936, a nation which was also a threat to peace. Japan had claims on Chinese land, and wanted to expand, just as Italy had claims on parts of Europe which it felt were rightfully hers.
Also, for the third source (Germany kneeling in the water one) I put something about the message being that Germany were playing for sympathy from GB and France by pretending to be harshly damaged by the reparations payments of £6.6 billion (I hoped this would make me sound smart..hehe) as is shown in the cartoon by BLAH BLAH BLAH then my contextual knowledge was that in fact, the reparations were only 2% of German's annual income, and the Treaty of Versailles was less harsh than the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which Germany herself had imposed on Russia during the war :smile: so, despite the fact that the reparations + Treaty were harsh, Germany could in effect deal with them; they were just being hypocritical and faking their 'crippled economy' etc for sympathy etc from the Allies. PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE ELSE WENT ALONG THIS ROUTE?!
Original post by L_Vieru
I won't be suprised if you got an A*

I thought the cartoon was published in 1921, thus, you couldn't use the Ruhr/Hyperinflation to validate it because they were later on? I'm not sure, the mark-scheme is lenient however.
Reply 127
Original post by JOR2010
A wolf, a person in blood, a war like background? Was there a date? This leads to me to believe you could have talked about the Versailles conference itself..

The text was translated in the description as to do with Bolshevikism :/
Reply 128
Original post by Umackjiggles
Did anyone else do the one about hitler's policies aimed at workers and families?

Yes. Regretting it now, everyone seems to have chosen the other set. What did you write?
Original post by Melissajanex
It was ok I guess not to tough. There was one question I struggled with which was about why Italy and Japan were a threat to world peace:smile:

I kinda struggled on that one too! I basically just babbled on about Manchuria and Abyssinia, and said that they threatened world peace because they showed that the League of Nations, the world's peace-keeping force (supposedly) was weak and ineffective. I also stuck in something about the Rome-Berlin axis... I was like, IT THREATENED PEACE BETWEEN ITALY/GERMANY AND THE ALLIES... I'm much better at French than history hahaha.
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
I thought the cartoon was published in 1921, thus, you couldn't use the Ruhr/Hyperinflation to validate it because they were later on? I'm not sure, the mark-scheme is lenient however.

That's what I thought too! In loads of practice questions that I did my teacher marked me down for talking about stuff that hadn't happened yet (lol) so I tried to avoid that completely :/
what did you put for the meaning off the source C in the america section? I think it was the cartoon of a farmer on his field with a little sign saying 'farm for sale' and dollar signs in the trees in the background, I had no clue. me and my friend wrote absolute opposites, she said it was that farmers were prospering and I said that they were poor. either way not really much of a message, was there something more to it?
Original post by Coco406
Yes. Regretting it now, everyone seems to have chosen the other set. What did you write?

I said they were equally important but acted in different periods of the nazi rule. So Hitler's policies towards the workers (anti-capitalist) were most successful in the 1920s and immediately after the Great Depression while policies such as the abolition of the trade unions and the introduction of the German Labour Front made the Nazis less popular with the workers. Then I talked about the policy of autarky.
I said hitler's policies towards the family were most prominent during his chancellorship (i.e. after 1933) and they united the nation in that they were, through policies such as the scheme were women were given a medal if they bore over a certain number of children, united in competition for the favour of the Nazi Party. Then I said that laws such as the Nuremberg laws and the Divorce Law of 1938 meant that the party dissolved the traditional idea of love and marriage which led to a *slight* decrease in support for the party from those who would otherwise be partners in marriage.

I know, i was being sarcastic, because he was attempting to make out as if he wrote it off the top of his head lmao.
Reply 134

I know :/ I tried writing relating to the source, so base stuff around that period, it was impossible. Talked about the invasion of the Ruhr thinking that happened in 1922 but it was in 1923........
Reply 135
Original post by catherine24
Also, for the third source (Germany kneeling in the water one) I put something about the message being that Germany were playing for sympathy from GB and France by pretending to be harshly damaged by the reparations payments of £6.6 billion (I hoped this would make me sound smart..hehe) as is shown in the cartoon by BLAH BLAH BLAH then my contextual knowledge was that in fact, the reparations were only 2% of German's annual income, and the Treaty of Versailles was less harsh than the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which Germany herself had imposed on Russia during the war :smile: so, despite the fact that the reparations + Treaty were harsh, Germany could in effect deal with them; they were just being hypocritical and faking their 'crippled economy' etc for sympathy etc from the Allies. PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE ELSE WENT ALONG THIS ROUTE?!

Sounds like a valid answer to me.

If that is the case, then you have to rely on the growing political divisions in Germany after the war, perhaps the rise of the militarist Freikorps, the naval blockades and starvation? Just some ideas.

Original post by books28
The text was translated in the description as to do with Bolshevikism :/

In that case I am fairly sure you have to talk about the political divisions of Germany after the Great War.

I kinda struggled on that one too! I basically just babbled on about Manchuria and Abyssinia, and said that they threatened world peace because they showed that the League of Nations, the world's peace-keeping force (supposedly) was weak and ineffective. I also stuck in something about the Rome-Berlin axis... I was like, IT THREATENED PEACE BETWEEN ITALY/GERMANY AND THE ALLIES... I'm much better at French than history hahaha.

These are all valid points, they would probably only expect the issues of Manchuria and Abyssinia to crop up, the rest is just showing your wider knowledge. The Rome-Berlin Axis is a good one, also the Anti-Comintern pacts.
Reply 136
Original post by TarrynWilliams
what did you put for the meaning off the source C in the america section? I think it was the cartoon of a farmer on his field with a little sign saying 'farm for sale' and dollar signs in the trees in the background, I had no clue. me and my friend wrote absolute opposites, she said it was that farmers were prospering and I said that they were poor. either way not really much of a message, was there something more to it?

This sounds like the correct answer, I've seen the source before. Farmers were not prospering, city firms and factories were enjoying the boom - you need to talk about the boom and how factories and mass production were causing life to improve greatly in cities, but farmers didn't share the prosperity, and in fact often the boom hurt them, due to factors such as mechanisation.
Original post by JOR2010
Well Japan were expanding its naval arm to rival Britain and the USA; Italy had participated in the 1936 invasion of Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War; both Italy and Japan had discredited the League by using aggression to gain what they wanted. Italy also drifted towards Germany after 1936, a nation which was also a threat to peace. Japan had claims on Chinese land, and wanted to expand, just as Italy had claims on parts of Europe which it felt were rightfully hers.

I should be ok it was 6 marks so 2 explained things. I wrote about how they discredited the league including the Abyssinian crisis and invasion of Manchuria and also about how they wanted to expand, they were selfish and only cared about themselves and not about the smaller nations so I should be ok. Thanks:smile:

Reply 138
reparations payments of £6.6 billion (I hoped this would make me sound smart..hehe) as is shown in the cartoon by BLAH BLAH BLAH then my contextual knowledge was that in fact, the reparations were only 2% of German's annual income, and the Treaty of Versailles was less harsh than the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk

That's exactly what I said :smile: There was no space for me to write "imposed on Russia" but I said they were running double standards, it was only 2% of Germany's annual production thus they could afford to pay the reparations, the man "faking" to drown links to that Germany overeacted about the reparations and could in reality afford to pay them off.
"wooly" answer but meh :}
Reply 139
Original post by Umackjiggles
I said they were equally important but acted in different periods of the nazi rule. So Hitler's policies towards the workers (anti-capitalist) were most successful in the 1920s and immediately after the Great Depression while policies such as the abolition of the trade unions and the introduction of the German Labour Front made the Nazis less popular with the workers. Then I talked about the policy of autarky.
I said hitler's policies towards the family were most prominent during his chancellorship (i.e. after 1933) and they united the nation in that they were, through policies such as the scheme were women were given a medal if they bore over a certain number of children, united in competition for the favour of the Nazi Party. Then I said that laws such as the Nuremberg laws and the Divorce Law of 1938 meant that the party dissolved the traditional idea of love and marriage which led to a *slight* decrease in support for the party from those who would otherwise be partners in marriage.

I wrote quite similar, not the same points though (not as much detail) but I also wrote the negative impact of the polices, and came to conclude that the policies with women were more important for support because they covered a larger proportion of the population and also the negativity (suppression of female rights) weren't so unfitting with the period of time, in contrast to the workers who worked more for less wages...

Thinking I got about 4/10 in that 10 marker :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending