Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please be kind ... I need some advice

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    My daughter is in Y12

Bright ... went to a Comp that was in Special Measures but achieved 3A* and 6A grades ... best results in the school

Moved for 6th form to a very good school ... she had to do an admissions test and score in the top 10% so this reassured us that she was better than the GCSEs suggested

Studying Biology Chemistry Maths History (and FM AS over 2 years)

She wanted to go into medicine

BUT ... she is finding Chemistry really hard ... we have discussed the reasons with teachers and some of it is down to the poor GCSE teaching ... she is aiming for at least a B in AS and thinks she can get the A but is scared of A2 being even harder

So ... my question ... if Chemistry is hard for her should she give up on medicine or could she consider a Medical Science or Biomedical Science degree and look for graduate Medicine ... is this a viable route

I want to support her whatever she aims for but am scared of being a pushy Mum who is focussed on medicine even though that is not sensible

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks for reading
    If she doesnt do well on chemistry A2, she should do a science related Foundation degree
    this allow people with no qualifications into a qualification that allows them to go into uni
    research suggest bright students who do foundations
    do better than the students at the same educational who did do a foundation
    look into it
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brit_Miller)
    She should ace maths!
    Should being the operative word
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    My daughter is in Y12

Bright ... went to a Comp that was in Special Measures but achieved 3A* and 6A grades ... best results in the school

Moved for 6th form to a very good school ... she had to do an admissions test and score in the top 10% so this reassured us that she was better than the GCSEs suggested

Studying Biology Chemistry Maths History (and FM AS over 2 years)

She wanted to go into medicine

BUT ... she is finding Chemistry really hard ... we have discussed the reasons with teachers and some of it is down to the poor GCSE teaching ... she is aiming for at least a B in AS and thinks she can get the A but is scared of A2 being even harder

So ... my question ... if Chemistry is hard for her should she give up on medicine or could she consider a Medical Science or Biomedical Science degree and look for graduate Medicine ... is this a viable route

I want to support her whatever she aims for but am scared of being a pushy Mum who is focussed on medicine even though that is not sensible

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks for reading
    Chemistry A2 is very tricky, it was my hardest A level. If your daughter has changed her mind about medicine, why not look into careers related to mathematics since you mentioned she's so good at maths? There's a huge variety to choose from, good luck with career choices.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Updated: August 18, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.