Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suitable A-level subject combinations for Law degree?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm starting the exciting process of deciding what subjects to take for my A-levels.
    I'm 90% sure I want to have a career within Law and I want to do a Law degree at a top University after I've finished my A-levels.
    I've been assured that there are no specific subjects required at A-level to get onto a Law course.
    However, I want to make sure I have a strong, favorable choice of subjects of which may help/please top University's and help get onto a Law course.

I've selected a few subjects of which I'd be interested to do, these are:
    Economics
    Business Studies
    Computing
    Classical Civilization
    Latin
    English Lit
    English Lit & Lang
    Government & Politics
    and Sociology.

(I'd also be interested in doing History, however, I haven't done it at GCSE and I've heard it's a very hard subject to pick up)

Also, the chances are I'll take either Business or Economics as they are both similar, however, which one would serve better for a Law degree?

I'm asking what you think would be the best combination of subjects (4) out of the ones above. + any other tips, hints, advice etc you think I could find helpful.

Cheers,

Steve
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Most law degrees don't require any particular A-Levels though the top universities (LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick etc) want at least two traditional subjects.

Economics, English Lit, Latin and Government & Politics are a good combination and perhaps drop G&P after AS. At the end you'll have three sold, traditional subjects.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will probably get the typical TSR answers to take the most acadmic and most enjoyable subjects.

From the strictly "statistic" point of view of subjects regarded as academic, that would rule out business studies, English Lit & Lang and citing the other typical view Sociology and Computing.

Which would lead to:
    Economics
    Classical Civilization
    Latin
    English Literature
    Government & Politics

As Latin and Classical Civilization are probably too related, you just have to choose the one, you like more.

Et voilà!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weeves)
    Hi,

I'm starting the exciting process of deciding what subjects to take for my A-levels.
    I'm 90% sure I want to have a career within Law and I want to do a Law degree at a top University after I've finished my A-levels.
    I've been assured that there are no specific subjects required at A-level to get onto a Law course.
    However, I want to make sure I have a strong, favorable choice of subjects of which may help/please top University's and help get onto a Law course.

I've selected a few subjects of which I'd be interested to do, these are:
    Economics
    Business Studies
    Computing
    Classical Civilization
    Latin
    English Lit
    English Lit & Lang
    Government & Politics
    and Sociology.

(I'd also be interested in doing History, however, I haven't done it at GCSE and I've heard it's a very hard subject to pick up)

I'm asking what you think would be the best combination of subjects (4) out of the ones above. + any other tips, hints, advice etc you think I could find helpful.

Cheers,

Steve

(Original post by Nathanielle)
    You will probably get the typical TSR answers to take the most acadmic and most enjoyable subjects.

From the strictly "statistic" point of view of subjects regarded as academic, that would rule out business studies, English Lit & Lang and citing the other typical view Sociology and Computing.

Which would lead to:
    Economics
    Classical Civilization
    Latin
    English Literature
    Government & Politics

As Latin and Classical Civilization are probably too related, you just have to choose the one, you like more.

Et voilà!
    What (s)he said...

History is a good subject. You could maybe have it instead of Government and Politics, which is similar to Economics in some ways and not the hardest subject IMO (though admissions tutors probably won't mind).

On the other hand, it's better to do a fourth A-level in one of the less respected subjects if you'll get a better grade at it. Make sure you don't do Business Studies and Economics together.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.