The Student Room Group

How hard is it to find a work as an UE student

Hi there! I'll be an international student at King's College of London next year, and I wonder how hard it is for an international student to find a job. I'm fluent in english, but still, it's not my mothertongue. I mean, it's the crisis and it must be already hard for english student to find a job... So... Do you think it is actually possible? I know my question might sound dumb, but I hope I'll get replies from londoners and international students :smile:
Thanks a lot
Reply 1
Original post by may42
Hi there! I'll be an international student at King's College of London next year, and I wonder how hard it is for an international student to find a job. I'm fluent in english, but still, it's not my mothertongue. I mean, it's the crisis and it must be already hard for english student to find a job... So... Do you think it is actually possible? I know my question might sound dumb, but I hope I'll get replies from londoners and international students :smile:
Thanks a lot

It's the same difficulty all around. If anything, being bilingual is always a treat.

It all comes down to your personality and how you approach life.

Be fun, bubbly and confident. You'll ace any job interview.
Reply 2
I see. Thanks :smile:
When do students usually start looking for a student job?
Is internet reliable or should I just pop into shops and ask them?
What are the typical student jobs in London?
Reply 3
Original post by may42
I see. Thanks :smile:
When do students usually start looking for a student job?
Is internet reliable or should I just pop into shops and ask them?
What are the typical student jobs in London?

Forget when students usually start looking, you'll never find one.

The key recruitment times are in September (particularly with jobs on campus and with your student union club), June/July and occasionally January.

Remember that your union and university are actually separate entities, so you can hand CV's and applications in to both. During my first few months at university, I was employed in 3 different sectors across the university campus (catering, residence bar) and my student union bar.

So hand in CV's to all your different areas on campus; the college shop, catering suites, receptions and then find application forms for your students union IN SEPTEMBER. Then hand around CV's to local shops and restaurants. Remember, it's usually best to speak directly to managers.

You'll be hard pressed to find a casual part-time work with online advertisements, they're usually not very fruitful so I tend to stay away from them. Good for graduate careers, bad for pocket money.

Don't let part-time work consume your studies though, many make that mistake.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending