The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (New Spec.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
what do u think will be on it?
Reply 61
hey guys whats electrolysis? i don't know if it will come up and im not to sure how to explain it :s-smilie:
I'm nervous, but I've revised for a few days now and just want to get it over with. I was feeling similar with Biology and I hope it goes as well as that did. Good luck to everyone!!

Original post by Pixie A
hey guys whats electrolysis? i don't know if it will come up and im not to sure how to explain it :s-smilie:

I think all we need to know is that it is a way of extracting a pure metal element, where a molten liquid solution (that is previously smelted to get it this way) undergoes energy and electricity and the positive ions move across to the negative electrode (cathode) and this leaves the metal as a pure element on its own, away from the oxygen from the oxide it was before. It's an expensive method that uses a lot of energy, so new, more renewable methods are being developed for extraction, e.g. phytomining and bioleaching.

I think that's right and I think "smelting" is the way to describe how the metal oxide is melted to molten before being used. Hope I helped. I revised methods like this quite a lot as they're likely to come up. :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Dougieowner
I'm nervous, but I've revised for a few days now and just want to get it over with. I was feeling similar with Biology and I hope it goes as well as that did. Good luck to everyone!!

I think all we need to know is that it is a way of extracting a pure metal element, where a molten liquid solution (that is previously smelted to get it this way) undergoes energy and electricity and the positive ions move across to the negative electrode (cathode) and this leaves the metal as a pure element on its own, away from the oxygen from the oxide it was before. It's an expensive method that uses a lot of energy, so new, more renewable methods are being developed for extraction, e.g. phytomining and bioleaching.

I think that's right and I think "smelting" is the way to describe how the metal oxide is melted to molten before being used. Hope I helped. I revised methods like this quite a lot as they're likely to come up. :smile:

Thank you soooooooo much :biggrin: im really nervous bout this exam. Hope you do well x
I hope the extended writing question is a good one, I didn't much care for the biology one.
Does any one have any idea what this may be on?
Reply 66
Somebody said it would be on the same things as the january exam, and they cant find it anywhere. If they need it, I have it with the answers. If anyone wants it, just message me and I will email it to you.
good luck everybody.
Reply 67
Do you think it will be stuff like, electronic structure, electrolysis, limestone, crude oil, hydrocarbons, emulsifiers,, plant oils?
From the specification, I think the extended written question will be either on:
-Extraction/quarrying (limestone or metals)
-Recycling (metals/polymers)
-Production of ethanol (crude oil/bio-fuels)
-Uses of polymers
Although you never really know with AQA. Also, I think that they will focus on the social/environmental impacts.
Original post by semaj daehdaorb
I hope the extended writing question is a good one, I didn't much care for the biology one.

I agree, the Biology one was a little too vague. I prefer the Chemistry ones where you evaluate against two things. Or Biology ones where you explain a particular process in great detail. And I don't like any Physics so none of them are good :tongue:
Original post by Dougieowner
I agree, the Biology one was a little too vague. I prefer the Chemistry ones where you evaluate against two things. Or Biology ones where you explain a particular process in great detail. And I don't like any Physics so none of them are good :tongue:

I prefer the ad/disadvantages question; at least you know what the examiners want.
My science teacher said that The Primeordeal soup theory is most likely to be the 6 mark question because its completely new to the spec but i hope it won't! i dont understand it :s-smilie:
hey guys
can someone please post the new spec for this exam, I think I was given the old one!
Reply 73
Ive lost my specification for the exam. Can someone please post the link?
Original post by Adam97
Ive lost my specification for the exam. Can someone please post the link?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/sciencelab/AQA-CHEM-W-SP.PDF

new specification
It's all on the science lab aqa website
There are specimen papers

They also give you hints and tips with Quality of Written Communication as well as samples.
If anyone's worrying about the 6mark question have a look at some of the sample answers and marks awarded for the continuous prose questions (6mark) .:smile:
Hope this helps!!!
Original post by Crystallouise99
http://store.aqa.org.uk/sciencelab/AQA-CHEM-W-SP.PDF

new specification
It's all on the science lab aqa website
There are specimen papers

They also give you hints and tips with Quality of Written Communication as well as samples.
If anyone's worrying about the 6mark question have a look at some of the sample answers and marks awarded for the continuous prose questions (6mark) .:smile:
Hope this helps!!!

You star!
Thank you so much!
Reply 76
Hi, I really don't know what the hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts are. Please help!!! Thanks
Reply 77
Original post by chatty
Hi, I really don't know what the hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts are. Please help!!! Thanks

The hydrophilic part is the part that is attracted to water and repels oil (in an oil and water emulsion). The hydrophobic part is the part that is attracted to oil and repels water (in an oil and water emulsion).

Good luck!
Reply 78
Original post by Crystallouise99
I'm probably most certainly sure that EMULSIFIERS are definitely gonna come up because they didn't turn up in the Jan 2012 paper and they are new to the spec,especially the hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts.

Reply 79
Original post by Keith.
The hydrophilic part is the part that is attracted to water and repels oil (in an oil and water emulsion). The hydrophobic part is the part that is attracted to oil and repels water (in an oil and water emulsion).

Good luck!

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending