The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (New Spec.)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks you too!
can someone help me find the answers for the AQA GCSE foundation Chemistry Exam 15th June 2012 (New Spec.) please :smile:
Reply 122
That was the hardest exam i have ever sat in my life :eek: thank god for resits!
Reply 123
What did you get for the question which was asking why where methane ammonia and hydrogen used for the miller-urey experiment
Reply 124
i dont think it was hard...but i dont think it was really easy at all :s-smilie:
and it was definitely easier than biology!
Reply 125
i put in to recreate the conditions for earths old atmosphere.
Original post by LjWol
That was the hardest exam i have ever sat in my life :eek: thank god for resits!

I would agree. I don't think I need to resit; I probably did ok, but compared to the Biology one that was so much harder. And so random as well. I mean, I loved question 6 about hydrogenation and was thinking: "finally: a decent question". Question 1 was quite easy too, but all the rest wasn't great. I guessed and attempted everything, but I'm annoyed with AQA making the science exams unnecessarily hard because people find them "too easy". They were fine before...

So I think I did quite well in Biology and I'm not sure about Chemistry. I guess as I'm comparing and I knew almost everything in Biology, this will seem hard.

But when I came out, people were like: "OMG! THAT WAS SO EASY" and I was thinking "what on earth, it certainly wasn't". I mean, if Chemistry's hard, what's Physics going to be like? But I think those that found it easy are comparing it to how they did in Biology, I know a lot of people found that "extremely hard"...

I only know 2 others that found it hard. Please say others here found it quite hard! It wasn't really hard, but quite a lot of it was. I revised for ages and ages, yet half the stuff in the exam wasn't even explained in the syllabus or anything...

I hope the grades are lower. They should be - that was loads harder than January. Why did they make it so much harder...?
Reply 127
What did you guys put in for the third to last question and last question?
These are the two question that i found difficult.
Reply 128
What did you guys put for how to harden vegetable oils, this I the one thing I forgot to revise

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 129
This was definitely hard. Most people at my school came out feeling freaked out. It's so so so so so so frustrating because I revised so hard to learn everything and I didn't get to demonstrate that at ALL! What did you put for the question about recyling in the production of titanium?
Original post by Adam97
What did you guys put for how to harden vegetable oils, this I the one thing I forgot to revise

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

it was harenig or hydrogenation ... basuically you had to put it is reacted with a molecule of hydrogen at around 60 degrees with a nickel catalyst :biggrin: 3 marks , pretty simple that one :biggrin:
Original post by DON5
What did you guys put in for the third to last question and last question?
These are the two question that i found difficult.

cant remember third to last .... but for last i put nitrogen and oxygen because they b.p's were further away from the melting points so others would have vapoursied and they would be the last two to vapourise so they would be liquids :s-smilie:
Reply 132
Hydrogenation is the process for hardening vegetable oil.
For the recycling bit in the titanium question, i put in the chloride displaces the oxygen in titanium oxide producing titanium chloride. Then the magnesium attracts the chlorine making magnesium chloride. It is then separated by electrolysis making magnesium and chlorine, it is then used again to remove oxygen from titanium.
Definitely failed that exam:frown:
Reply 134
For the miler-urey experiment which asks why did miller and urey use ammonia, methane and hydrogen, if I put "Because these where the gasses in the earths early atmosphere" would I get the mark?
Aggggghhhh it was horrible, please tell me people talked about Polymers in the questiosn about the Poly[ethene] bags? I swear I made most of it up as I went along :') I am certain to have got no marks on the last double page :')
OMG the last question stumped me everything else was ok. I heard it was helium and something else as they were noble gases. BTW someone needs to make a unofficial mark scheme
Reply 137
Original post by RohanV
For the miler-urey experiment which asks why did miller and urey use ammonia, methane and hydrogen, if I put "Because these where the gasses in the earths early atmosphere" would I get the mark?

Thats kinda what i put, but my friend said that she made it sound like it wasnt a statement/fact, because it is actually a theory that those were the gases present in the early atmosphere :ashamed2:
Reply 138
I found everything so hard!
how did you guys find it?
can anyone please post the unofficial mark scheme?

i found it kinda hard too, though there were so easy questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending