The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography (Human) 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by pseudonymegg
yeah same thing i also put for human about how they ha no proper sewers :smile:

Yeah, was thinking about dpong that but ran out of lines. I remembered a case study fact from Dharavi, Mumbai - over 800 million litres of untreated sewage is dumped in the Mithi river every day, so just expanded from that :smile:
Reply 501
Original post by Springroo96
What did people put about the ways to reduce pollution in the water?? Thanks :smile:

I used a case stufy about Dharavia, Mumbai - introduce more toilets, inprove sanitation, run workshops in a more environmentally way etc
Reply 502
Original post by swift1
What sort of grade boundaries do people predict, I found this a lot easier than the physical paper and was a fairly easy paper overall so I predict about 61 out of 75 for A*

Just saying but 61 is wayyyy to high im going to say, I thought last years human was nicer than this one and that was 58, im going to say about 55 maybe?
Original post by Parente
Just saying but 61 is wayyyy to high im going to say, I thought last years human was nicer than this one and that was 58, im going to say about 55 maybe?

I was thinking maybe 44 for an A, 52 for A*? Hopefully?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC ChaCha A810e
Reply 504
my final question before i move on with my life in terms of geography: In globalisation, and it asked you to name the FEATURES of a TNC, what did you talk about? :s-smilie:
Reply 505
Hey can someone reply to my post on page 24 please because its really nagging me! Thanks!
Original post by THE Eli
Hey, I completely forget the case study for the Development Gap topic(I should have put about FARM Africa). Instead, I just decided to put down the Rio de Janeiro case study which was for improving squatter settlements, which I thought was relevant to the development of the country/area. Would have I got any marks for this development question, even though I used a case study for the urban topic?

i didn't do this sorry :frown:
Reply 507
Hello, I wonder if someone could help me out here, on the 8 marker the sustainable living. I used three case studies to explain- curitiba with the bus transport system, London - congestion zone charging to reduce traffic levels and Newcastle - regeneration of buildings so they are not left derlict
the question did say "use a case study" not "case studies" but I couldn't write loads for curitba for 8 marks?
What do you think? :P
Original post by Ell228
Hello, I wonder if someone could help me out here, on the 8 marker the sustainable living. I used three case studies to explain- curitiba with the bus transport system, London - congestion zone charging to reduce traffic levels and Newcastle - regeneration of buildings so they are not left derlict
the question did say "use a case study" not "case studies" but I couldn't write loads for curitba for 8 marks?
What do you think? :P

Firstly, if you've done it well it won't matter, in fact using more case studies puts you above the most people because it shows you have learnt a lot!
But, London is by no means a sustainable city, it is one of the least energy efficient areas in the UK. Yes, they are trying to improve the area, but, it's not sustainable as of yet, so I don't know how they will tackle London when marking it.
As for Newcastle, no idea, I didn't do that, but, what you've written about sounds okay.
Curitiba there is loads! They built the museum and library from recycled materials (100%), put children in the streets to colour to reduce traffic, the green exchange (exchanging green waste for surplus food and transport tokens) and the solution tot he parks (a fine on building on buildings above four stories, or ensuring everyone has the equivalent to 40m^2 of green land each).

But, if you've done it well, it's fine.

PS. You owe me. I wrote this while eating my Cornflakes and now they are all soggy. :frown:
Reply 509
Original post by cheetahs56

Yeah, it all really depends. I can't see it being as high as last years (58) or as low as the first years (52). A lot of people are complaining that the Development gap was solid so that could knock things down. I do find it a bit unfair on choosing between like 6 topics because one could be solid. I think 55 will be the max for an A* and 52 will be the minimum they'll put for an A*
Reply 510
Original post by BartoBarto
Firstly, if you've done it well it won't matter, in fact using more case studies puts you above the most people because it shows you have learnt a lot!
But, London is by no means a sustainable city, it is one of the least energy efficient areas in the UK. Yes, they are trying to improve the area, but, it's not sustainable as of yet, so I don't know how they will tackle London when marking it.
As for Newcastle, no idea, I didn't do that, but, what you've written about sounds okay.
Curitiba there is loads! They built the museum and library from recycled materials (100%), put children in the streets to colour to reduce traffic, the green exchange (exchanging green waste for surplus food and transport tokens) and the solution tot he parks (a fine on building on buildings above four stories, or ensuring everyone has the equivalent to 40m^2 of green land each).

PS. You owe me. I wrote this while eating my Cornflakes and now they are all soggy. :frown:

BedZED - London. I wrote about that, it is one of the most common case studies written. I chose it over Curitiba
Original post by cheetahs56

I agree, I think it will be something similar to this. Well at least I hope it is!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 512
Original post by GuitarWorm
I agree, I think it will be something similar to this. Well at least I hope it is!!!

I honestly think that the tourism section would have let people people down the most and seen as it is the most popular section, the boundaries should be lower. Last years tourism was quite nice
Reply 513
Original post by BartoBarto

Thank you for that! Yes I just wrote about how they did congestion zone charging and stuff, but i appreciate how much you have wrote :biggrin:
Original post by Calloftheking
Could you use 2 case studies for the 8 marker on the tourism section????

It sort of depends what the question said, I cant remember what it exactly said. If it said "one or more named case studies" then you're fine.
Original post by Maisie10
my final question before i move on with my life in terms of geography: In globalisation, and it asked you to name the FEATURES of a TNC, what did you talk about? :s-smilie:

i werent too sure of what features meant but all my revision guide gave me was the pros and cons so thats all i wrote but in a lot of detail
Reply 516
Original post by vince130296
i werent too sure of what features meant but all my revision guide gave me was the pros and cons so thats all i wrote but in a lot of detail

same, hopefully thats what they were looking for-i also explained in detail what the TNC actually does, where its based etc
Original post by tamil4
I did that too, I found it alright. Much better than physical!

Me too! Physical was A LOT harder than expected, what topics did you do? I did tectonics, rocks and rivers.
Original post by kashagupta
Ooh a few of my friends sat the physical! They were quite pleased with it :smile:

I got 135 in that exam and our teacher refuses to tell us what we got on the coursework! Which is quite annoying :/ he said everyone's got at least an a though, so if that's 80, then I need 135 UMS in this exam to get an A* overall! Ahh the stress! I really don't want to wait till results day, I'll be such a nervous wreck the night before!

I know :frown: August 23rd.. worst day ever!
Reply 519
Original post by crazykid0112
It sort of depends what the question said, I cant remember what it exactly said. If it said "one or more named case studies" then you're fine.

The question was asking why people go to a resort in the tropics :smile: I did Jamaica babyyyyy. Candidates can achieve full marks using various, different case studies by the way. Stop fretting my fellow geographers and enjoy the summer ahead :biggrin: Unless you have 1 more exam like me of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending