Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I look for in a good gym

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    Really? they dont seem like they would be appropriate for sports/gym.
    Best low cost footwear for weightlifting. Nice hard and flat soles. You can run and cycle in them too (though you won't need to do much, if any, cardio unless you're fat).

Squishy soled running trainers are useless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe909)
    Beach Body is made in the kitchen. Diet > Workout.

You can do fine without a gym, just run and plyometrics (Push ups, pull ups)

If you were looking to actually add some muscle, it'd be a different story. You'd need a Squat rack, adequate space for an Olympic bar to deadlift and a bench press with a proper bar.
    Run and pylometrics to get a ''beach body''?

Yeaah go back to the misc section of bbforum
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)

So what do you recommend? I showed the body I wanted a few posts back.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Get a routine planned, see what equipments needed. The basics that you'll more than likely need is bench, mats for deadlifing (some places can be funny about it) and squat rack then see what the weights they have go up to. If youre wanting to use dumbells a lot it'll be pointless if they only go up to 25kg for example. If youre wanting to use barbells too make sure theres enough plates and that they have small increments for when youre wanting to progress later on and cant put 5kg on from last time for example.

Cardio machines are usually pretty straight forward, would be odd if they didnt have what you wanted
    Hi so visited the gym and didn't really spend long looking around which is my own fault. But was a little disappointed because the actual gym section was a little small. I did ask about the dumbbells and he said they go up in 2kgs which is great and up to about 35kg or something. He said they didn't have an Olympic bar thing. I'm going to go there anyway because it's the closest to me and the others are too inconvenient. I didn't check if they had mats for deadlifting -.- what's the thing called you do bench presses on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi so visited the gym and didn't really spend long looking around which is my own fault. But was a little disappointed because the actual gym section was a little small. I did ask about the dumbbells and he said they go up in 2kgs which is great and up to about 35kg or something. He said they didn't have an Olympic bar thing. I'm going to go there anyway because it's the closest to me and the others are too inconvenient. I didn't check if they had mats for deadlifting -.- what's the thing called you do bench presses on?

A bench?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Dumbells go up in decent increments so thats alright, you could use them for non-compound movements (you could use them for compound movements too, just may be more difficult). The deadlift mats arent essential if they dont mind a bit of banging. If they moan then it may just be that you cant do 1rms.

You said they dont have an olympic bar, do they still have some barbells? A standard bar should be fine if thats what theyve got. Bench press is done on a bench, not sure what else you could call it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

If they don't have an Olympic bar how are you going to squat and deadlift?
    Forget the smith machine if they don't have a squat rack don't go there.

Do you know the praeto principle?

Squats,deadlifts and bench are your 80 percent when working out. Honest. If even one is missing don't bother. I go to a friend's house to squat because the gym I'm in doesn't have a rack and let me tell you something I'm counting the days I move out of here so I can go to a real gym.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dumbells go up in decent increments so thats alright, you could use them for non-compound movements (you could use them for compound movements too, just may be more difficult). The deadlift mats arent essential if they dont mind a bit of banging. If they moan then it may just be that you cant do 1rms.

You said they dont have an olympic bar, do they still have some barbells? A standard bar should be fine if thats what theyve got. Bench press is done on a bench, not sure what else you could call it
    No I dont think they have a barbell :eek:
    They have a sauna, swimming pool but no barbell I think. What is a 1rms?
    They have lots of machines that do other things which I assume should be useful.
    This is the gym, doesnt have much info.
    http://www.wlct.org/Sport-and-Health...membership.htm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squat racks, a leg press where you can add plates, a hack squat may also be nice. Bars and places to deadlift, dumbbells that go up to a reasonable weight. Like has been said depends on goals, if you want to pack on mass you ideally want all the free weight equipment you can get.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I dont think they have a barbell :eek:
    They have a sauna, swimming pool but no barbell I think. What is a 1rms?
    They have lots of machines that do other things which I assume should be useful.
    This is the gym, doesnt have much info.
    http://www.wlct.org/Sport-and-Health...membership.htm
    1rm = 1 rep max - it can be useful knowing this if your planning to work at a particular % of it.

Ah I live near Wigan so Ive seen the gyms, its a standard council gym then so I dont think it has any barbells/squat rack etc. You could get away with using machines tbh if its not strength your going for. Free weights are more adaptable but you could still do use dumbells to add some compounds in.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    1rm = 1 rep max - it can be useful knowing this if your planning to work at a particular % of it.

Ah I live near Wigan so Ive seen the gyms, its a standard council gym then so I dont think it has any barbells/squat rack etc. You could get away with using machines tbh if its not strength your going for. Free weights are more adaptable but you could still do use dumbells to add some compounds in.
    Well I'm only there for the summer. Once I go back to uni I will be joining a better gym
    I think the main thing I'm after over this summer in particular is losing fat (I'm what you would call skinny-fat right now) and I'm hoping the dumbbells and the machines will help build a bit of muscle.
    In the long term my goal is to look like this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So yeah I just want to have a good beach body
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm only there for the summer. Once I go back to uni I will be joining a better gym
    I think the main thing I'm after over this summer in particular is losing fat (I'm what you would call skinny-fat right now) and I'm hoping the dumbbells and the machines will help build a bit of muscle.
    In the long term my goal is to look like this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So yeah I just want to have a good beach body
    Well if you focus on cardio over summer but also do a bit on the machines/with dumbells you should be fine. It will mean when you get a better gym you can focus on building muscle rather than fat loss and have a base to work on.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if you focus on cardio over summer but also do a bit on the machines/with dumbells you should be fine. It will mean when you get a better gym you can focus on building muscle rather than fat loss and have a base to work on.
    Yep thats what I'm thinking. :cool:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Break it down for a moment in terms of what do you need for a beach body? In descending order of importance:
    1) You need to be lean
    2) You need some development of your upper body muscles and especially the arms, shoulders, chest, lats and traps
    3) You need some minimal leg development so you don't look like captain chicken legs

Everyone else can say what they like but if you actually take a look at your goal physique, that's it basically. Even then, he has pretty narrow clavicles/doesn't look very wide.

Look at what you need and work from there in terms of planning how to get there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)

The irony is I'm browsing it right it.

Be realistic. A beach body is just low bodyfat.

He doesn't need to focus on compound movements and hypertrophy now does he ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a poor gym
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    one should look for the following things in a good gym:

1- adequate and good condition machinery

2- flexible timings

3- good coach (not necessary though)

4- of course cheap!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe909)
    Be realistic. A beach body is just low bodyfat.

He doesn't need to focus on compound movements and hypertrophy now does he ?
    I recall Amir Khan weighing in for a fight some years ago at 137lb (about 63kg), at a height of 5'11. Look for photos - he was in great shape for boxing and had single digit bodyfat, but I'd hesitate to describe him as having a beach body...

Cristiano Ronaldo is a little taller but weighs a good 84kg these days if I'm not mistaken and looks great. That's really the look people are aspiring to, a combination of a fair bit of muscle mass, good athletic proportions and low bodyfat.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.