The Student Room Group

Please help - Taking A Level Biology & Chemistry (Maths requirement)

Hi, I am a straight A student in my sciences, and am pretty confident I shall get 3 A's in Biology, Chemistry & Physics at GCSE.

I want to take A-Level Chemistry & Biology at my schools Sixth Form college.

I checked the entry requirements for both courses, and the requirements are 5 B's at GCSE, including Maths and English.

I have already practically got 5 B-A's, and I am confident I shall get a high B, if not an A in English Lit & Language.
My only problem is that I totally suck at Maths! :angry:

I have already got my C in Maths, when I took the Foundation paper in November, but I did terrible on the Maths higher paper, and I think I shall only get a C.

I asked my teacher about my A-level courses if I only get a C in Maths, and she reckons that if I beg them, my Sixth Form college shall let me take Biology and Chemistry, and re-sit Maths again in the November exam to get my B.

I am very worried that if I don't get a B in Maths I shall be turned away, and what's angry is that I get high B's & A's in every other subject, aside from Maths!!! :frown:

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That sucks :frown: though the only issue with doing chemistry a level with a C in Maths is that there is quite a lot of Maths ability required, especially with calculations in a2. You might struggle to get through this if you find it quite tough, so I'd recommend trying a different subjects- you're obviously academic with your grades- is there another subject you could consider instead?

On the upside, there's very little Maths in biology, so I would fight to do that one if you really really want to :smile:

That probably isn't what you want to hear about chemistry, sorry! Just thought you'd rather know now rather than several months into the course :smile:

And of you want to resist Maths during sixth form, my friend did and it got her a uni place :smile: so its worth doing if you want to :smile:

X
Reply 2
Original post by je t'aime
That sucks :frown: though the only issue with doing chemistry a level with a C in Maths is that there is quite a lot of Maths ability required, especially with calculations in a2. You might struggle to get through this if you find it quite tough, so I'd recommend trying a different subjects- you're obviously academic with your grades- is there another subject you could consider instead?

On the upside, there's very little Maths in biology, so I would fight to do that one if you really really want to :smile:

That probably isn't what you want to hear about chemistry, sorry! Just thought you'd rather know now rather than several months into the course :smile:

And of you want to resist Maths during sixth form, my friend did and it got her a uni place :smile: so its worth doing if you want to :smile:

X

The courses I have chosen are:

Biology
Chemistry
Sociology
Politics (May change this for Spanish as I get A*'s in Spanish)

It's not really that I struggle in Maths, it's just because I have had such a bad teacher for 3 or so years that I just don't enjoy or take an interest in it, so I don't bother to revise much for it. Unlike Chemistry, which I thoroughly enjoy.

At A level I would obviously be much more committed to my studies, unlike at GCSE (I hate revising :biggrin:) and I think with the right teaching I could walk Chemistry if I just improved my Maths a little, because based on academic knowledge I'm fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3

X

Also what are the majority of Uni Maths requirements at GCSE, a C???
Chemistry A2 contains alot of maths in it. It wouldnt be wise to pick a level chemistry if you werent a solid B grader or higher in maths
Reply 5
Depending on the course either a C or a B. Definitely for most scienc e degrees and things like economics, law and medicine it will be either a B or even an A

Okay go for chem if that's what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you it's tough! I flew through gcse and I've got my a2 tomorrow and I am not going to meet my offer! (sorry highly stressed here!)

If you have any idea what degree you want to do, that'd help decide the whole resitting Maths debate as the universities put on ucas or their website what their minimum requirements are.

Good luck with gases if you're still doing them :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kemekpo
Chemistry A2 contains alot of maths in it. It wouldnt be wise to pick a level chemistry if you werent a solid B grader or higher in maths

Agreed.im dying over it all at the moment!
Reply 7
Depending on the course either a C or a B. Definitely for most scienc e degrees and things like economics, law and medicine it will be either a B or even an A

Okay go for chem if that's what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you it's tough! I flew through gcse and I've got my a2 tomorrow and I am not going to meet my offer! (sorry highly stressed here!)

If you have any idea what degree you want to do, that'd help decide the whole resitting Maths debate as the universities put on ucas or their website what their minimum requirements are.

Good luck with gases if you're still doing them :smile:

At Uni I would like to do Biomedical Science (My 1st goal), Medicinal Chemistry or Pharmacy (If I get good enough grades obviously).
Reply 8
I'm really sorry but I don't think doing chemistry is a good idea if you can't do maths. I got an A* at maths GCSE and then didn't do any further maths qualifications, and I find the A2 course next to impossible because of the sheer amount of maths involved.

I can also imagine that medicinal chemistry and pharmacy will involve a lot of maths.

If your heart is set on chemistry then try and get yourself some extra maths tutoring.
Reply 9
Original post by ellieHA
I'm really sorry but I don't think doing chemistry is a good idea if you can't do maths. I got an A* at maths GCSE and then didn't do any further maths qualifications, and I find the A2 course next to impossible because of the sheer amount of maths involved.

I can also imagine that medicinal chemistry and pharmacy will involve a lot of maths.

If your heart is set on chemistry then try and get yourself some extra maths tutoring.

I just love Chemistry though. :frown:
I plan on getting Private maths tutoring while I do my A-level courses.
Reply 10
Original post by DonnyPaxton
Hi, I am a straight A student in my sciences, and am pretty confident I shall get 3 A's in Biology, Chemistry & Physics at GCSE.

I want to take A-Level Chemistry & Biology at my schools Sixth Form college.

I checked the entry requirements for both courses, and the requirements are 5 B's at GCSE, including Maths and English.

I have already practically got 5 B-A's, and I am confident I shall get a high B, if not an A in English Lit & Language.
My only problem is that I totally suck at Maths! :angry:

I have already got my C in Maths, when I took the Foundation paper in November, but I did terrible on the Maths higher paper, and I think I shall only get a C.

I asked my teacher about my A-level courses if I only get a C in Maths, and she reckons that if I beg them, my Sixth Form college shall let me take Biology and Chemistry, and re-sit Maths again in the November exam to get my B.

I am very worried that if I don't get a B in Maths I shall be turned away, and what's angry is that I get high B's & A's in every other subject, aside from Maths!!! :frown:

What do you think?

Don't worry I think you'll be able to achieve a B any day because although I wasn't that bad at Maths, I had to sit foundation paper first to secure the grade C and I've experienced the same situation. It's not hard at all, seriously. What's your examboard with Maths? And if you did Chem,Biology, and Maths A-level, what would be the examboard on them? Don't give up, it's really possible to achieve at least a B in GCSE Maths. :smile:
Agreed with the others on here. I got a grade A in GCSE maths and really struggled with the maths in A2 chemistry. At degree level doing biology, there's a lot of maths involved, and if you're doing biochem/pharma there's going to be even more of it. In some ways I regret not taking A-Level maths, but with a lot of work I think I'm catching up and coping.
Reply 12
Original post by MathMad
Don't worry I think you'll be able to achieve a B any day because although I wasn't that bad at Maths, I had to sit foundation paper first to secure the grade C and I've experienced the same situation. It's not hard at all, seriously. What's your examboard with Maths? And if you did Chem,Biology, and Maths A-level, what would be the examboard on them? Don't give up, it's really possible to achieve at least a B in GCSE Maths. :smile:

Exam board for Maths is OCR.

At A level it would be Edexcel for all 3?
Reply 13
Exam board for Maths is OCR.

At A level it would be Edexcel for all 3?

Ohright, I haven't seen the past papers for OCR GCSE Maths because I've been doing Edexcel, I'm doing Edexcel Maths A2 level Maths as well, it's not bad... Which topics do you find difficult in Maths GCSE? Why do you feel that you're going to perform so badly in it?
Reply 14
Original post by MathMad
Ohright, I haven't seen the past papers for OCR GCSE Maths because I've been doing Edexcel, I'm doing Edexcel Maths A2 level Maths as well, it's not bad... Which topics do you find difficult in Maths GCSE? Why do you feel that you're going to perform so badly in it?

Because after looking through the paper I only counted about 40 out of 100 marks which I think I MAY have got right, even then I am not 100% sure. Made stupid mistakes and struggled with nearly every question towards the end. I think I'll get a C basically.
Reply 15
Because after looking through the paper I only counted about 40 out of 100 marks which I think I MAY have got right, even then I am not 100% sure. Made stupid mistakes and struggled with nearly every question towards the end. I think I'll get a C basically.

OK, well first of all you need to address which topics you're weak at and then revise and concentrate more on them. 40/100 seems to be a grade C, but you never know, you might have got more, so don't give up. You have plenty of time in the exam so you shouldn't make stupid mistakes and rush through things. Do lots of past papers and use effective revision techniques.

I've got to go now anyway but if you need any help let me know.
Reply 16
I just love Chemistry though. :frown:
I plan on getting Private maths tutoring while I do my A-level courses.

Ok good! I know a friend who didn't pay much attention at GCSE maths and is predicted an A in A2 chemistry, but she has tutoring :smile: stick to the tutoring and you should be fine, and good luck!
Reply 17
The maths in A-level chemistry is mostly:

- Using and changing the subject of simple algebraic formulas (like P*V=n*R*T)
- Drawing graphs and taking gradients
- Ratios
- Standard form and significant figures

It's OK if you're getting a C because of the other areas of maths like geometry or statistics or histograms which won't be relevant.

However you will find a Chemistry degree requires much better maths than that, they will likely expect A-level Maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi, well I sat the GCSE Maths Calculator paper today, and I did much better!

When I finished the paper I counted about 51-53 (Out of 100) marks that I am confident that I could have got right. (That's excluding marks for working out method's etc.)

After looking at OCR's grade boundaries last year it was only 86/200 marks for a B (That's 43/100 on each paper :eek:) so it looks like I could get a B? I hope to god I do! #Pray4Paxton
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Game_boy
The maths in A-level chemistry is mostly:

- Using and changing the subject of simple algebraic formulas (like P*V=n*R*T)
- Drawing graphs and taking gradients
- Ratios
- Standard form and significant figures

It's OK if you're getting a C because of the other areas of maths like geometry or statistics or histograms which won't be relevant.

However you will find a Chemistry degree requires much better maths than that, they will likely expect A-level Maths.

When I go to Uni the degree I shall choose shall probably be mostly Biology based, as it's my top subject out of the 3 sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending