Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M98 - Commitment to free speech motion

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Often it does cause damage though. Verbal abuse does cause damage.
    Meh. It could cause either damage or improvement in the long run, or it could have no effect if people learnt to just get on with their lives. Being obsessed with what other people think of you is a form of vanity.

I agree with this. Especially true with positions within religious and political institutions. Not quite so bad here but in the USA it's pretty bad at times.
    It's sort of the justification behind the Fair Pay Act 2012.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Meh. It could cause either damage or improvement in the long run, or it could have no effect if people learnt to just get on with their lives. Being obsessed with what other people think of you is a form of vanity.
    Like internetguru you clearly don't understand the true effect it has if you think that it could cause improvement or that people can avoid it by "getting on with their lives." Have you ever been the victim of verbal harrassment or bullying. I get the impression you haven't. It's not a case of vanity or simply caring what others think of you, that's secondary because no matter what you think about other people's thoughts about you the bombardment of verbal abuse might come anyway.
    It's not as easy as "get over it and get on with your life" because not everyone is as hard nosed as that for starters. Some are vunerable even beforehand and verbal abuse and hate speech makes it only worse. I'm really not sure how verbal abuse and hate speech can cause improvement.
    Honestly anyone saying it can cause improvement and/or suggesting that people should just get over it like it's easy obviously is deluded and doesn't have a clue.

You see people are pretty impressionable at a young age. These days if you or someone else called me a dick and started mocking me I wouldn't care as much. I don't see people enough anyway and those who I do see often aren't the sort to do that sort of thing except for my best mate who I banter with, I call her big nose and she calls me bighead but that isn't harmful. When I was 13 or 14 and going through a lot of **** I had people verbally and physically abusing me though and over time it took my toll. And that wasn't because of differences sexually it was appearances. Now imagine all that but caused by a difference of opinion, or even ignorance and homophobic propaganda because of a persons sexual preference. Once again it would over time erode someone away. If you then told someone to "get over it" like it was water off ducks back I would probably tell you to **** off because that's like telling someone to get over being physically attacked and it's about as helpful as saying "mind your head" after you've banged your head.

Unless you actually have an argument that is more than "well it could be helpful" or "Just get over it and don't worry about what other people think" I really wouldn't bother because you've already lost. That isn't an argument it's nonsensical drivel. Plus it doesn't make you look very sensitive or understanding that doesn't really help.
    If you do know what it's like to be routinely verbally abused either directly or because of rumours or false information spread then you are a lucky one who might have managed to shrug it off but not everyone is that lucky, don't pretend like it's that easy for everyone. That is just ignorant.

I'm sorry but the views of yours and internetguru are simplistic and unhelpful.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like internetguru you clearly don't understand the true effect it has if you think that it could cause improvement or that people can avoid it by "getting on with their lives." Have you ever been the victim of verbal harrassment or bullying. I get the impression you haven't. It's not a case of vanity or simply caring what others think of you, that's secondary because no matter what you think about other people's thoughts about you the bombardment of verbal abuse might come anyway.
    It's not as easy as "get over it and get on with your life" because not everyone is as hard nosed as that for starters. Some are vulnerable even beforehand and verbal abuse and hate speech makes it only worse. I'm really not sure how verbal abuse and hate speech can cause improvement.
    Honestly anyone saying it can cause improvement and/or suggesting that people should just get over it like it's easy obviously is deluded and doesn't have a clue.
    Well, for starters, I've been verbally abused in the past. I'm a member of a minority group, and was also quite an eccentric youth, which didn't particularly fit well with the ethos of my impoverished state school's playground. I've always been taught that the best way to hamper people that want to belittle others is to turn the other cheek and potter off. That worked for me, and it's not like I'm some hardnosed bruiser either. If you dwell on nasty things then you suffer. Simple as. Of course we all have a responsibility to look out for one another; if I saw someone being abused I wouldn't just stand there ignoring it, nor should anyone. This is quite different from saying that hateful insults should be made criminal.

You see people are pretty impressionable at a young age. These days if you or someone else called me a dick and started mocking me I wouldn't care as much. I don't see people enough anyway and those who I do see often aren't the sort to do that sort of thing except for my best mate who I banter with, I call her big nose and she calls me bighead but that isn't harmful. When I was 13 or 14 and going through a lot of **** I had people verbally and physically abusing me though and over time it took my toll. And that wasn't because of differences sexually it was appearances. Now imagine all that but caused by a difference of opinion, or even ignorance and homophobic propaganda because of a persons sexual preference. Once again it would over time erode someone away. If you then told someone to "get over it" like it was water off ducks back I would probably tell you to **** off because that's like telling someone to get over being physically attacked and it's about as helpful as saying "mind your head" after you've banged your head.

Unless you actually have an argument that is more than "well it could be helpful" or "Just get over it and don't worry about what other people think" I really wouldn't bother because you've already lost. That isn't an argument it's nonsensical drivel. Plus it doesn't make you look very sensitive or understanding that doesn't really help.
    If you do know what it's like to be routinely verbally abused either directly or because of rumours or false information spread then you are a lucky one who might have managed to shrug it off but not everyone is that lucky, don't pretend like it's that easy for everyone. That is just ignorant.

Fair enough.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Internet trolls such as those who post abuse on Twitter and rude comments about deceased people should be able to be held to account, even if the only action is to close their internet service for them.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even as a Libertarian, I think the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Calling for the annihilation or persecution of a minority should not be tolerated - this would be hate speech.

But apart from that I'm all for it, too much PC.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this motion. These days, people are generally a bunch of easily offended weaklings, crying for the protection of the state while demanding to be allowed to demonstrate for their own cause.

People should just man up and let others speak what they want, because they require the same and the fact that their opinions are more conventional does not make them more correct.

Gagging those speaking against homosexuality is the same as gagging those encouraging it and I am sure the vast majority of you would not like the latter… In fact, not even myself, because I support the absolute freedom of speech. Regarding it, we should be equal, not silenced by positive discrimination and political correctness.

Lastly, I have experienced hate speech towards myself and did not need to cry for help, so it is not like I am speaking about something of which effects are completely unknown to me.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Changed my mind about this. I'll abstain. Can't be sharing a lobby with homophobes, quasi-fascists and such.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not as easy as "get over it and get on with your life" because not everyone is as hard nosed as that for starters. Some are vunerable even beforehand and verbal abuse and hate speech makes it only worse. I'm really not sure how verbal abuse and hate speech can cause improvement.

This.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.
Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.