Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If George Washington saw America today...

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would he

a) be proud of the nation he helped to create and the people in it

b) off himself at the nearest available opportunity

c) .....

d) profit
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do not think he would be very happy at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can not tell a lie, I think he would be quite vexed.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well do we mean America specifically or that it, like the rest of the world, has embraced globalisation? I'm sure many people from the past would be horrified at what they see nowadays, particularly as the world has changed a lot.

Do we mean morals or just that it's come a long way? Or how much influence it has on the world rather than being something like a smaller country like any European state or even like the UK currently?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is this before or after he pissed himself at cars and iPads?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well he is a person from an old world very different from today. His ideology and ethos was good for the time, times change, so his opinion of today would be outdated with the ways of the world. So the question isn't what would his opinion be, the question is, would it matter?

EDIT: To add to my point, in washingtons day, black people were kept as slaves of which he had many. Washington was the first president, today a black person holds presidency.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think he'd be more interested by how fast humanity has advanced since his time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    WTF I can't grow drugs? WTF I can't have slaves? WTF I have to pay high taxes?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Is this before or after he pissed himself at cars and iPads?
    :lol:.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Washington would not at all be happy with America.

He supported slavery, a government with limited power, very low/non-existent taxes, hated the British and would be disappointed so few of his ideas from the Declaration are still in existence.

But that was then. Times and society has changed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    His face would be like this: :zomg:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He'd be like '**** American, you done ****ed up my vision'
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Where's all the hemp farms maaaaan?!?'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think he would be appalled by the imperial ambitions of america abroad and disgusted by the social decay and at home.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    C Profit. 20 dollars an autograph.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhotas)
    Washington would not at all be happy with America.

He supported slavery, a government with limited power, very low/non-existent taxes, hated the British and would be disappointed so few of his ideas from the Declaration are still in existence.

But that was then. Times and society has changed.
    I don't think he hated the British, he used to be a general in their army I think. He was proud to be British just like all the colonists until all the unrest started in the 1760s.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    He'd do what Napoleon did in Bill And Teds Excellent Adventure, got to the nearest waterpark, and gorge on that new teenage craze frozen iced cream.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drones, torture camps, weapons of mass descrution, the fundamental destrution of the 4th amendment and widespread ignorance. Hmmm... I wonder...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with america?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swylde)
    I don't think he hated the British, he used to be a general in their army I think. He was proud to be British just like all the colonists until all the unrest started in the 1760s.
    He was a colonel in the colonial militia, never really rose to much prominence outside of Virginia, not sure why he never attempted to purchase a commission in the British military after his service in the French and Indian War. He certainly had the cash to do so if he wanted. I guess he just didn't want to be away from Virginia often and with the cession of the French lands, there was no future in military service in North America (...little did people know).

He certainly didn't hate the British though, him and Hamilton were at the vanguard of good relations between America and Britain during the late 18th century. He was as much a British person in his tastes, culture and attitudes as someone across the Atlantic. He just happened to profoundly disagree with the government of the time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.