Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Macbook Pro announced

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    New MBP announced! Retina display seems to be the major new feature. Still on OS Lion, Mountain Lion now due to be released in July.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/#macbookpro

Thinner build, and no superdrive!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about instead of making it thinner they multiply the battery life by two or three?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    How about instead of making it thinner they multiply the battery life by two or three?
    Well they may have made changes to that too - we'll have to wait until they are released and tested by people other than Apple themselves.

Personally I'm not convinced by the lack of superdrive. For a lot of MBP owners it's their only computer, so having to buy a separate CD/DVD drive is ridiculous :/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Well they may have made changes to that too - we'll have to wait until they are released and tested by people other than Apple themselves.

Personally I'm not convinced by the lack of superdrive. For a lot of MBP owners it's their only computer, so having to buy a separate CD/DVD drive is ridiculous :/
    USB cd drives aren't difficult to get hold of. I'd say they're more convenient because not all the time does someone use their cd drives in this modern day. If they fill the space that otherwise would've read discs with something to improve the experience then good on them.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    USB cd drives aren't difficult to get hold of. I'd say they're more convenient because not all the time does someone use their cd drives in this modern day. If they fill the space that otherwise would've read discs with something to improve the experience then good on them.
    Well yeah they're easy to get hold of, but one of the selling points of the MBP has always been that it's the complete experience in one box. Now if you want to play DVDs etc you have to have a separate DVD drive cluttering up your desk.

Personal choice of course, but it's a change that I wouldn't have made, especially since it seems to have been sacrificed for weight (the old MBP is hardly heavy!) and thinness (the old MBP is thin enough already!) rather than performance.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Air range - the rumours that said that the new MBP was to have no superdrive also said that the two ranges were to be combined into one, with the Air eventually being phased out entirely.Haven't seen any Air announcements yet...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah they're easy to get hold of, but one of the selling points of the MBP has always been that it's the complete experience in one box. Now if you want to play DVDs etc you have to have a separate DVD drive cluttering up your desk.

Personal choice of course, but it's a change that I wouldn't have made, especially since it seems to have been sacrificed for weight (the old MBP is hardly heavy!) and thinness (the old MBP is thin enough already!) rather than performance.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Air range - the rumours that said that the new MBP was to have no superdrive also said that the two ranges were to be combined into one, with the Air eventually being phased out entirely.Haven't seen any Air announcements yet...
    Ah, you have a point. I was thinking of software or games or music on the discs rather than films lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was announced TWO days ago.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    This was announced TWO days ago.
    Yes, but there hasn't been any discussion on TSR that I've noticed, and people have asked about this on many occasions, so I started the thread for those interested.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Also announced two days ago:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/m...chart/?m=false
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    To take the Pros at their name, for professional users it's not a massive issue. The users that will get the most out of the retina display, aka video and image editing, will not be reliant on optical drives, and vice versa. If one does need an optical drive on a regular basis, there's still the "old school" Pro lineup. The new Pro was designed to epitomise Apple's image for the future, where everything revolves around flash storage and digital distribution of content in a compact form factor. There's obviously going to be people this does not suit, even for price alone, but it's the direction most areas of the market are heading in anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there hasn't been any discussion on TSR that I've noticed, and people have asked about this on many occasions, so I started the thread for those interested.
    The WWDC thread contains this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Purely for professional photographers and the image industry. Joe average doesnt need a such a high resolution.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    The WWDC thread contains this.
    There's no need to troll :rolleyes:

The WWDC thread is in Tech, not Laptops and Netbooks. The people asking about the new MBPs post in this forum, not Tech. And they're not likely to know what WWDC is if they're asking those questions, so they're not going to find the answer in that thread.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to troll :rolleyes:

The WWDC thread is in Tech, not Laptops and Netbooks. The people asking about the new MBPs post in this forum, not Tech. And they're not likely to know what WWDC is if they're asking those questions, so they're not going to find the answer in that thread.
    I have no idea why you have instantly jumped to 'troll'. What have I actually done? I've provided a link for someone to the Air upgrade and I've informed you where there was a thread on this.

How is that trolling? My intentions were good.

I hate when people can't just explain things rationally. Instead, people insist on stigmatising.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

The base RAM for the air is now 4GB and they finally gave it a HD FaceTime camera. This could be a sign that they are going to eventually merge it with the Pro or that they just want to keep the Air going. Who knows.. :iiam:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yung Mon£y)
    Purely for professional photographers and the image industry. Joe average doesnt need a such a high resolution.
    I hear this argument a lot, but surely having a high res screen benefits you in loads of different ways?

Also isn't the ridiculously pretty design and lightweight nature of it perfect for Joe Average who needs to lump a laptop all over the place?

In terms of the price, with the student discount it's only a couple of hundred more than a normal laptop, surely it's worth it?

(Bring on the negs).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    I hear this argument a lot, but surely having a high res screen benefits you in loads of different ways?

Also isn't the ridiculously pretty design and lightweight nature of it perfect for Joe Average who needs to lump a laptop all over the place?

In terms of the price, with the student discount it's only a couple of hundred more than a normal laptop, surely it's worth it?

(Bring on the negs).
    No a high resolution will not help the average person whatsoever. There's no need for it and the GPU is far too weak to game at that resolution.

Who this laptop is perfect for are photographers and video editors who are travelling to clients and photoshoots.

There is literally no point in a student, doing, say physics, owning this laptop. Get a cheap acer laptop and be done with it. After graduation get a desktop.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yung Mon£y)
    No a high resolution will not help the average person whatsoever. There's no need for it and the GPU is far too weak to game at that resolution.

Who this laptop is perfect for are photographers and video editors who are travelling to clients and photoshoots.

There is literally no point in a student, doing, say physics, owning this laptop. Get a cheap acer laptop and be done with it. After graduation get a desktop.
    That's like saying don't get an Aston Martin (if it was affordable) as its engine is far too powerful and there's no need for it as the speed limit is 70mph.
    Instead just get a 20 year old Peugeot then get an estate car when you grow up.

I've been working and saving a lot to get a new laptop and can afford an MPB with the student discount, isn't it worth it just for the aesthetics/ weight/ battery life?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    That's like saying don't get an Aston Martin (if it was affordable) as its engine is far too powerful and there's no need for it as the speed limit is 70mph.
    Instead just get a 20 year old Peugeot then get an estate car when you grow up.

I've been working and saving a lot to get a new laptop and can afford an MPB with the student discount, isn't it worth it just for the aesthetics/ weight/ battery life?
    He's not saying you won't enjoy it, he's saying that the display of that high a resolution is not of any real use to the average user, which is true. You will certainly enjoy it, but it won't necessarily benefit you more than the 1440x900/1680x1050 displays on the regular MacBook Pro. If you can comfortably afford to buy it, then go ahead, you'll enjoy it immeasurably. But for a casual user this is most definitely a product of excess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's interesting is that the "old" MacBook pro configured to the same specs as the base-model retina is a fair bit pricer. Plus you don't get the retina-display or the slimmer body.

I guess it has an upside to it in that it's easier to upgrade (AFAIK).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.