The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography B Unit 2 People and the Planet 18/06/12

Scroll to see replies

Geo tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Skittle123
Yeah i've got that exam :biggrin:

oooo i think it's gonna be half easy half hard

Do you get top down and bottom up development stuff??

I think the first part will be easy because you basically just copy the booklet, but the actual 'decision making' part at the end will be the trickiest. ( it also makes more sense to me because I live about half hour's train from the park, so I've seen a lot of the stuff going on, my teacher got us some extra info from the park when she went on a tour around it :smile:

What exam is top down and bottom up for? (I get it by the way if you want me to explain it?)
ooh thankyou, and we got our coursework grade i got 58 out of 60, and for unit 1 i got 100% , for unit 3 i got an a im not sure about the actal grade. so how much do you think i need to get to get an a* overall in geogrpahy ?

are there only 3 past papers available ?
Reply 23
Original post by sophiekutie
I think the first part will be easy because you basically just copy the booklet, but the actual 'decision making' part at the end will be the trickiest. ( it also makes more sense to me because I live about half hour's train from the park, so I've seen a lot of the stuff going on, my teacher got us some extra info from the park when she went on a tour around it :smile:

What exam is top down and bottom up for? (I get it by the way if you want me to explain it?)

Yeah, sames the resource booklet is going to help me alot!!!!! And yeah, coz i live in Hackney, i already know sooooo much that's going on right, as im guessing you do too? :smile:

The top down, bottom up stuff is for the unit 2 exam, and yeah please explain!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by JacquelineJoy
ooh thankyou, and we got our coursework grade i got 58 out of 60, and for unit 1 i got 100% , for unit 3 i got an a im not sure about the actal grade. so how much do you think i need to get to get an a* overall in geogrpahy ?

are there only 3 past papers available ?

WOOOOW thats amazing!!! I'd say maybe aim for like 45 out of 50 for a definate a*?? Not sure exactly :biggrin:
Reply 25
I also managed to get 100% in Unit 1 and 100% in my coursework (Unit 4).
I believe at least 80% would be needed in both the Unit 2 and Unit 3 exams to achieve an A* overall (as an A is 80% if I'm correct). Unsure on the actual total mark needed.. can't remember the total markings for the papers!

But basically one tip that my teacher has given me is to focus on the 6 mark questions and not on the interpreting graphs / maps, as it is the 6 mark questions where students normally miss out 1 or 2 marks (I know I do!)
Hope this helps!
Dreading my Unit 2 exam tomorrow.
Original post by Bixel
I also managed to get 100% in Unit 1 and 100% in my coursework (Unit 4).
I believe at least 80% would be needed in both the Unit 2 and Unit 3 exams to achieve an A* overall (as an A is 80% if I'm correct). Unsure on the actual total mark needed.. can't remember the total markings for the papers!

But basically one tip that my teacher has given me is to focus on the 6 mark questions and not on the interpreting graphs / maps, as it is the 6 mark questions where students normally miss out 1 or 2 marks (I know I do!)
Hope this helps!
Dreading my Unit 2 exam tomorrow.

omg thats really goood !! im sure you will do well tomorrow, and im dreading the exam too ! and yeah ive just been looking at the 6 mark question, i like changing cities alot.
thankyou, so i need to get an a or above in this paper, i really hope i do. i guess all we can do is try our best !
Reply 27
Original post by JacquelineJoy
omg thats really goood !! im sure you will do well tomorrow, and im dreading the exam too ! and yeah ive just been looking at the 6 mark question, i like changing cities alot.
thankyou, so i need to get an a or above in this paper, i really hope i do. i guess all we can do is try our best !

Thank you! I think definitely the 6 mark questions are the ones to focus on, even though there is only one or two!
I'm doing 'Changing Countrysides' which is an awful topic, I'd much rather be doing the changing cities :smile:

I suppose the least we can do to revise is go over the Edexcel Geography B textbook and do past papers... but the questions that come up tomorrow we wouldn't have seen in the past anyway... I dislike revising to the extreme :colondollar:

Anyone else also doing the Edexcel Maths Unit 3 Modular paper on Tuesday the 19th?
Yeah, sames the resource booklet is going to help me alot!!!!! And yeah, coz i live in Hackney, i already know sooooo much that's going on right, as im guessing you do too? :smile:

The top down, bottom up stuff is for the unit 2 exam, and yeah please explain!!!! :biggrin:

Yeah I live in essex! (don't judge) haha

Yeah basically top down is when important people (like politicians or big companies) make decisions for the whole country , without considering individual, smaller parts of society
and bottom up is when small groups of people do something in their own town, but don't consider the country as a whole :smile:

E.g of bottom up - the town of la peca in peru. They built a micro-hydro scheme that benefits their town (creates electricity) but it does not help any other parts of the country.

Make sense? (tell me if it doesn't) x
Original post by blueray
Geo tomorrow :smile:

Why the happy face? It should be a sad face... :frown:
Reply 30

Yeah basically top down is when important people (like politicians or big companies) make decisions for the whole country , without considering individual, smaller parts of society
and bottom up is when small groups of people do something in their own town, but don't consider the country as a whole :smile:

E.g of bottom up - the town of la peca in peru. They built a micro-hydro scheme that benefits their town (creates electricity) but it does not help any other parts of the country.

A good top-down approach would include a large scale scheme such as the Three Gorges Dam in China :smile:

One fact that also is apparent (quoting my teacher) is that smaller scale bottom-up schemes are usually more sustainable and beneficial to those locally, as for example, as sophiekutie has said with the Micro-Hydro projects in La Peca, the local people are trained to use it and maintain it, so it becomes self-sufficient there, but also the material and economical cost of such a project is a lot smaller, so the impacts are less!
Original post by Bixel
A good top-down approach would include a large scale scheme such as the Three Gorges Dam in China :smile:

One fact that also is apparent (quoting my teacher) is that smaller scale bottom-up schemes are usually more sustainable and beneficial to those locally, as for example, as sophiekutie has said with the Micro-Hydro projects in La Peca, the local people are trained to use it and maintain it, so it becomes self-sufficient there, but also the material and economical cost of such a project is a lot smaller, so the impacts are less!

Thanks for the top-down example!
Is it that basically top-downs are better for businesses but bottom ups benefit local people?
Or have I got confused? :tongue:
Reply 32

Ahahaha :biggrin: I love people from essex :P

Ohhhhhh, i always get mixed up with it , thanks babe!

And ahh right, im gonna go and google that xD

Yeah it really does :smile:

Would u like any help? x
hey can someone help me with the North wiltshire case study in living spaces
thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Bixel

Ooooo Thats really helpful!!
I now know two examples!! Thanks!!! :biggrin:
Ahahaha :biggrin: I love people from essex :P

Ohhhhhh, i always get mixed up with it , thanks babe!

And ahh right, im gonna go and google that xD

Yeah it really does :smile:

Would u like any help? x

Haha :wink:

Ermm are you doing topic 5? I don't really understand the case studies for it, like what I have to know and stuff :smile:

Hehe now I do sound like a dumb Essex blonde, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get the stereotype :tongue: x
Reply 36

Ermm are you doing topic 5? I don't really understand the case studies for it, like what I have to know and stuff :smile:

Hehe now I do sound like a dumb Essex blonde, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get the stereotype :tongue: x

Yeah, Ohh okays, I'll write a list of things that i know about Topic 5 in a different Quote xD

Ahh you dont, u just sound like you need some help is all, ah are you blonde and everything??? :P x
Yeah, Ohh okays, I'll write a list of things that i know about Topic 5 in a different Quote xD

Ahh you dont, u just sound like you need some help is all, ah are you blonde and everything??? :P x

Thanks!!

I was blonde when I was little, it's a bit darker now but goes blonde-ish in the sun again :smile:
But I do have blonde highlights now because i look better with lighter hair, but didn't want to have to deal with dyeing the whole thing :wink:
Reply 38

Okay, so this is all that i've got in my revision booklet for TOPIC 5;
Make sure you know what an ecological footprint is (Amount of land used for consumption and waste production)
->So things such as in salisbury and winchester, they have pretty much the same circumstances, however, winchester has a lot more pollution etc, (due to people trravelling to and from, people are rich there so they spend more on holidays abroad, they get expensive products etc)

Footprints differ between countries because:
EXAMPLE: UK
->Some people consume more than others
->Consumer goods are different (fridges, that kinda stuff)
->Buy imported goods (coffee, food) So food miles are bigger
->Own and run more cars, contribute to CO2 levels, which contributes to Global warming
->Spend money on foriegn holidays
->People generate mroe waste.

EXAMPLE: KENYA
->Peopel consume less due to lower incomes
->Many grow thier own food (low food miles)
->People either walk or cycle
->Electricity is expensive so not many people have it.

So a case study that could be used is:

LONDON-
"How is London reducing energy consumption?"
Okay so this includes things such as the Congestion Charge (its really expensive so no one wants to use it)

For a sustainable solution thing u coudl say stuff about Bedzed?

Green consumerism may come up.
It includes Farmers Markets (less food miles, its good for the local community), Barclay Bikes (encourages people to use bikes and not cars) And improved Public Transport (so cheaper fares, making them nicer, so peopel want to use it. Less CO2 emmisions), it includes Recycling.

Yeah, thats about it i think. I hope it helped :biggrin:
Thats all that my revision booklet that my teacher gave me says :P
x
Reply 39
Thanks!!

I was blonde when I was little, it's a bit darker now but goes blonde-ish in the sun again :smile:
But I do have blonde highlights now because i look better with lighter hair, but didn't want to have to deal with dyeing the whole thing :wink:

LOL, I love blonde hair!
Ohh blonde highlights are pretty :smile:
Yeah, fair does, also, if your eyebrows are a bit dark, it may look weird xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending