Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What specification should I be looking for?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2013 applicant so I'm planning ahead and trying to work out what sort of price range I should be looking at for a laptop for university.

I had an Advent laptop when I was 14 and I broke it within a year . The screen went first, strips of white pixels appeared and then the whole system went. So I'm sceptical about having another Advent.

At the moment I use the family Toshiba laptop. I think it's the satellite model. I would like a similar laptop, however this one has a tendency to overheat if I have many tabs open or if I'm watching something streaming from iPlayer or 4OD.

For university, I need a laptop that has at least 2 USB ports, a SD card reader built in, an ethernet port and has a disk drive. I'm not bothered about a webcam however disk space is rather important as I have a lot of photos and essays that I would like to upload to it (I do use a USB to save files though).

I wont be using it for gaming if that helps.

Help! What should I be looking for?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to be using it for?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What are you going to be using it for?
    Essay writing, research, storing photos and contacting family at home (skype).
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-a...48372-pdt.html

Second Gen Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive. Pretty much ideal in terms of priceerformance, I would recommend against going any cheaper with regards to processor and you don't really need to go any more expensive.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/342418-toshiba...sc1me-01n00ken

If you want a bit more space and ram, better processor,£10 more.

Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-2JR Laptop
    - Intel Core i3 2350M 2.3GHz
    - 640GB HDD + 6GB RAM
    - 15.6" HD + DVDRW
    - Webcam
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2013 applicant so I'm planning ahead and trying to work out what sort of price range I should be looking at for a laptop for university.

I had an Advent laptop when I was 14 and I broke it within a year . The screen went first, strips of white pixels appeared and then the whole system went. So I'm sceptical about having another Advent.

At the moment I use the family Toshiba laptop. I think it's the satellite model. I would like a similar laptop, however this one has a tendency to overheat if I have many tabs open or if I'm watching something streaming from iPlayer or 4OD.

For university, I need a laptop that has at least 2 USB ports, a SD card reader built in, an ethernet port and has a disk drive. I'm not bothered about a webcam however disk space is rather important as I have a lot of photos and essays that I would like to upload to it (I do use a USB to save files though).

I wont be using it for gaming if that helps.

Help! What should I be looking for?
    Pretty much any laptop will fulfil your needs because your usage is so light. However, if you're not starting Uni until 2013 I'd hold off on buying the laptop for as long as possible. In May/June next year Intel's new Haswell processors will be released, and by autumn you should be able to pick up a basic Haswell model for less than £400. For your needs, anything between £350-£450 and with 4gb RAM will be ideal x

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.