The Student Room Group

Caught cheating but note fault

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by carnationlilyrose
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is a very good oath for a reason, is it not?

bringing into the examination room notes in the wrong format (where notes are
permitted in examinations) or inappropriately annotated texts (in open book
examinations);

i found this on the exam rules, does this mean i will be disqualified
They might let you off with it because you never used them, just depends on how much the teacher likes you.
Original post by freedom
bringing into the examination room notes in the wrong format (where notes are
permitted in examinations) or inappropriately annotated texts (in open book
examinations);

i found this on the exam rules, does this mean i will be disqualified

Like I said you could be, but because they found them before you sat the exam they may let you off with it. Usually when I hear stories like this they let people off with it, better hope the teacher doesn't have anything against you though.
Reply 63
if you think logically, the school wont want you to be disqualified. They wont say anything to anyone. Dont worry!
Reply 64
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1114/JCQ%20Suspected%20Malpractice%2011-12.pdf

Page 29

"notes relevant and prepared for use or
evidence of use"

does this mean i will be disqualified?

even though notes were found before the exam
Original post by whooshpaddy
At my school we are read an essay on what we are/are not allowed, and then told to raise our hand to hand in anything that we have on that list. I've handed in an iPod that I found in my pocket when they said "check your pockets" and just got back at the end of the exam.

This. You should be ok, if they found it during the exam, i'd say you're in trouble. But if you're disqualified they have to tell you. Although they might have had to consult someone higher to check, which would have happened after the exam.

This is kinda similar to what happened during my geography paper last year.

Our teacher had told us that we could take our coursework into the exam. So we took it in. Then when the invigilator was reading the front of the papers, she saw that it didn't mention our coursework, meaning we couldn't actually take it in! So we were told to put them in our bags. This was also before the papers were handed out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lumos
oh that's awful :frown: But if I had a penny for every time I've been in an exam and we have all heard someon'es phone buzzing with a call in the pile of bags... the invigilators seem to deliberately try not no find it before it stops ringing though.... putting your phone on silent is not equivalent to turning it off!

Yes, it was really unfortunate. No, putting it on silent isn't enough. I think it's a pragmatic approach to be unable to identify whose it is in time. Invigilators also have to have their phones switched off. I'm no technology expert, but it's going to get harder and harder to be sure messges aren't being transmitted in some way in the future.
Original post by freedom
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1114/JCQ Suspected Malpractice 11-12.pdf

Page 29

evidence of use"

We've all given you our opinion, but it doesn't look like anything will be enough to put your mind at rest until you've spoken to the people involved. The key phrase in the warning notice which should be read out ahead of every exam according to the regulations is that the notes can get you disqualified 'even if you did not intend to use them.' I have no doubt that the two invigilators could make a case for disqualifying you if they wanted to, since you did have the notes and you yourself didn't hand them in; they had to be taken from you. However, the fact that the exam had not started and that no one has spoken to you about it since suggests very strongly that they are not taking this line. Only you can answer the questions about what your role in this was and whether you have ever done anything which might make them suspect that this was not a genuine oversight, which might make them inclined to take it further.
Reply 68
We've all given you our opinion, but it doesn't look like anything will be enough to put your mind at rest until you've spoken to the people involved. The key phrase in the warning notice which should be read out ahead of every exam according to the regulations is that the notes can get you disqualified 'even if you did not intend to use them.' I have no doubt that the two invigilators could make a case for disqualifying you if they wanted to, since you did have the notes and you yourself didn't hand them in; they had to be taken from you. However, the fact that the exam had not started and that no one has spoken to you about it since suggests very strongly that they are not taking this line. Only you can answer the questions about what your role in this was and whether you have ever done anything which might make them suspect that this was not a genuine oversight, which might make them inclined to take it further.

it was the teacher who found it, not sure if they told the invigilators
Reply 69
Original post by freedom
I borrowed a sci calc, I went in the maths exam, put the calc on the table and sat down,

However a teach came and removed the lid and notes fell out, I was shocked as I had no clue about them,

He gave it to the head of maths who was in the room, she read them and put them in her pocket,

She did not say anything, and I was allowed to continue the exam, my paper was collected in normally

They found the notes before the exam paper was handed out,

Can I be disqualified?

I think you can be disqualified unless you can prove you weren't intending to cheat. For example was it your calculator you brought from home? Were the notes related to the exam? If there's anything that suggests it was bad fortune, and u weren't trying to cheat, then use that in your defence. Otherwise it seems like you're in a bit of a sticky situation, sorry

Edit - although reading other responses, it's true, you didn't actuallyyy cheat, but I don't know how they handle attempts to cheat, so I don't know...best thing you can do is talk to the college about it
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by freedom
it was the teacher who found it, not sure if they told the invigilators

All you can do is ask, then.
Original post by abc:)
I think you can be disqualified unless you can prove you weren't intending to cheat. For example was it your calculator you brought from home? Were the notes related to the exam? If there's anything that suggests it was bad fortune, and u weren't trying to cheat, then use that in your defence. Otherwise it seems like you're in a bit of a sticky situation, sorry

No, the warning clearly states that you can be disqualified if you are in possession of forbidden materials 'even if you did not intend to use them.' It's read out at the start of every exam, or should be if the centre is doing the job right.
Reply 72
No, the warning clearly states that you can be disqualified if you are in possession of forbidden materials 'even if you did not intend to use them.' It's read out at the start of every exam, or should be if the centre is doing the job right.

but if it is found before the exam. will i still be disqualified?

thank you for all your advice
Original post by freedom
but if it is found before the exam. will i still be disqualified?

thank you for all your advice

I don't think so. You would have at least been asked to account for your actions. However, you are clearly still worried by this, so go and see the teacher who took them off you.
Reply 74
People telling you that it doesn't matter because it was before the exam are talking crap.

You were caught intending to cheat, red handed. It does matter, you were cheating and if they follow procedure you will at a minimum disqualified from that exam. Rightly so, don't cheat.
Original post by freedom
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1114/JCQ%20Suspected%20Malpractice%2011-12.pdf

Page 29

evidence of use"

Look, you are not going to be disqualified if you play your cards right. The stringent rules are there for would be cheaters, and yes I know that if you accidently bring in a mobile phone then thats different, even so you would be likely to get off with a warning.

It was a very innocent mistake, and that would be obvious to everyone given your record. It is in no ones interest to have you disqualified, especially since you have grounds to cause a huge fuss about it which no one will want.

My gut instinct is that even if you do nothing, then nothing at all will happen. Nevertheless you should go as quickly as you can to see your exam officer and explain the situation. The psycological impact of this could be grounds for special considerations e.t.c, and not this withstanding you should do this anyway to leave nothing to chance, and make it clear you are completely innocent.
Original post by M1011
People telling you that it doesn't matter because it was before the exam are talking crap.

You were caught intending to cheat, red handed. It does matter, you were cheating and if they follow procedure you will at a minimum disqualified from that exam. Rightly so, don't cheat.

No he wasn't intending to cheat, did you simply come on here fishing for rep, because you obviously haven't read the OP. This mistake clearly unjustifies disqualification especially given that people accidently bring phones into exams and often get away with warnings.
Reply 77
Original post by QuantumOverlord
No he wasn't intending to cheat, did you simply come on here fishing for rep, because you obviously haven't read the OP. This mistake clearly unjustifies disqualification especially given that people accidently bring phones into exams and often get away with warnings.

First off, on what basis are you insinuating that I came here for rep? My opinion on the matter differs from yours obviously, but on what basis does that equate to me being here for fake reputation points? Grow the hell up, if you have a different opinion to someone learn to express it without jumping to childish accusations, it doesn't reflect well on you at all.

Did you read the original post? I'm sorry I forgot about the inherent honesty of all mankind. Don't be a fool, he went into a maths exam with maths notes hidden in his calculator case. What's the probability of that being a mistake? Excuse the pun. Who legitimately, without intention to cheat, would keep their maths notes in miniature form hidden in their calculator. He's a cheat and he got caught, don't buy the BS excuses. Welcome to the real world.
I think it'll be alright - before every exam at my school, they say all the rules etc and always say "empty your pockets", "check your pockets", "last time to hand in anything in your pockets" lol, so yeah if it's been collected before the exam, I think it's fine :smile: Before the paper started and before the paper was handed out, so it's okay. However, I would just go to the exams office to make sure. I think if you were to be disqualified etc, they would have talked to you at the end of the exam or got in contact after exam etc.
Original post by M1011
First off, on what basis are you insinuating that I came here for rep? My opinion on the matter differs from yours obviously, but on what basis does that equate to me being here for fake reputation points? Grow the hell up, if you have a different opinion to someone learn to express it without jumping to childish accusations, it doesn't reflect well on you at all.

Did you read the original post? I'm sorry I forgot about the inherent honesty of all mankind. Don't be a fool, he went into a maths exam with maths notes hidden in his calculator case. What's the probability of that being a mistake? Excuse the pun. Who legitimately, without intention to cheat, would keep their maths notes in miniature form hidden in their calculator. He's a cheat and he got caught, don't buy the BS excuses. Welcome to the real world.

Again, you did not read the OP. He claims that he simply borrowed a calculator before he went into the exam. Loads of people do that, it is an honest mistake anyone could have made.

Read the OP before commenting, you are obviously a rep fisher, why else would you not read it. And FYI I used to keep notes in a calculator case simply because I was disorganised, not that I ever took them anywhere near exam. If you are going to point the finger, then it is the person that owns the calculator.

And yes I am going to assume the OP is telling the truth, in the same way I assume you actually exist and we are not all gliding through the fracking matrix.

Quick Reply

Latest