The Student Room Group

Waiting for final degree grade.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Just thought I'd break the pattern and say I got a 2:2 from the University of Sheffield! And I'm actually pretty happy with it! I had a really bad time with university in general (as in, I hate being educated, I wasn't ill or anything) and failed to turn up to a term and a half of exams. Plus, I didn't hand in one of my massive essays in my final term because I kinda forgot about it.

So I actually thought I wasn't going to be graduating at all and I just went down to get results with my housemates. When they actually had an envelope for me I was shocked.

So if anyone's feeling worried or a bit crap because they've got a 2:2, don't feel too bad! I held down two jobs throughout university, working full time hours between them and now, after applying for places in the past month, I've already got a few interviews. I don't think people realise how important interpersonal skills are and relevant experience too. In my interviews, the people I spoke to didn't seem to care about any 'transferable skills' from my degree, they wanted to know about my previous employment far more.

So unless you're aiming for grad schemes that filter out anything below 2:1 or a postgrad that needs a 2:1, anything less than that won't be the end of the world. And let's face it, how many middle aged professionals do you hear talking about their degree classifications? :smile:
Original post by imorose
Just thought I'd break the pattern and say I got a 2:2 from the University of Sheffield! And I'm actually pretty happy with it! I had a really bad time with university in general (as in, I hate being educated, I wasn't ill or anything) and failed to turn up to a term and a half of exams. Plus, I didn't hand in one of my massive essays in my final term because I kinda forgot about it.

So I actually thought I wasn't going to be graduating at all and I just went down to get results with my housemates. When they actually had an envelope for me I was shocked.

So if anyone's feeling worried or a bit crap because they've got a 2:2, don't feel too bad! I held down two jobs throughout university, working full time hours between them and now, after applying for places in the past month, I've already got a few interviews. I don't think people realise how important interpersonal skills are and relevant experience too. In my interviews, the people I spoke to didn't seem to care about any 'transferable skills' from my degree, they wanted to know about my previous employment far more.

So unless you're aiming for grad schemes that filter out anything below 2:1 or a postgrad that needs a 2:1, anything less than that won't be the end of the world. And let's face it, how many middle aged professionals do you hear talking about their degree classifications? :smile:

I know I was feeling inadequate with the ridiculous amounts of firsts so thanks for providing a clear perspective.
Reply 102
Original post by pocomontus
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have searched high and low but can't find the answer.

Just had my final results back for my last year, and I have an average of 59.3%. I'm absolutely gutted as 1% more in a double module would have reached a 2:1. As far as I'm aware, this is now stuck at a 2:2, but i've heard that certain university do 'bump ups' or discretionary elevations.

I have found these for some universities, however I am at Birmingham City University and I can't find any info.

Has anyone been to BCU and had this bump up? Or does any know of anyone?

I'm kind of lost atm, so any help would be truely appreciated.

Thank you.

I would first approach your year tutor or a lecturer whose module you feel was harshly marked. If these two do not help then go to the advice centre (via the students union 0121 331 5000). They are brilliant and will help you out. I think there may be a time limit within which to appeal your case so get on it very fast as the appointments with the advisors are not too many. I'm sure you'll be fine. God luck!
Reply 103
:smile::smile::smile: I got a first!!!!!

Well done to everyone else. A degree is not a walk in the park so before you knock your classification, think of others who may have failed or are re-sitting their exams. Well done to everyone who passed and good luck to those giving it another go! :tongue:
Yay!! I managed a 2:1!

If only they gave us the breakdown now too...

EDIT: Spoke too soon! 2:1 in everything this year - including the highest grade I've had since university began. Mini celebration YAY!
(edited 11 years ago)
I got a first :smile: - many pints were had on Friday!
Reply 106
First and an academic award :eek4: I found out last week and I still can't believe it.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 107
Just about got scrapped a 2:1 today (getting 60.72).

Even managed to get 80 in one of my modules!
Original post by james303
Just about got scrapped a 2:1 today (getting 60.72).

Even managed to get 80 in one of my modules!

Nice one was that a maths based exam or essay based, if so how much additional reading did you include in it if you remember?
2.1 Degree attained. Job at a top 4 firm sorted for September, 2012.

All in all, a decent day. Pleased with my grade overall, considering lectures were barely attended, and 'dossing' was the order of the day for 3 years, I've pretty much landed on my feet.

I love my life :wink:.
Reply 110
Original post by Venom123
Nice one was that a maths based exam or essay based, if so how much additional reading did you include in it if you remember?

It was a Maths degree.

Luckily I made the right choices for the elective modules, as I found them easier then last years.
Just found out that I have to do a viva (due to either being on the borderline of degree classifications (most likely) or being picked randomly. I am so scared, it feels like the stuff I revised has fallen out of my head and the viva tests knowledge from across my degree :afraid:

I don't see this going well :bawling: I'm trying to focus on the fact that I can only go up a class, not down but its not helping
Reply 112
Original post by manupalace
Just found out that I have to do a viva (due to either being on the borderline of degree classifications (most likely) or being picked randomly. I am so scared, it feels like the stuff I revised has fallen out of my head and the viva tests knowledge from across my degree :afraid:

I don't see this going well :bawling: I'm trying to focus on the fact that I can only go up a class, not down but its not helping

Ah, good luck! When will you find out the results of your viva?

Original post by tnedutS waL
I'm so bored waiting for results - still have 2 weeks! Silly university taking unnecessarily long :frown:

Wow, another person to not get their results...we are a rarity! What uni do you go to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by petzneo
Ah, good luck! When will you find out the results of your viva

Thanks. Does Brighton do vivas? I can't find much info on undergraduate vivas only PhD ones.

I find out on the same day I do the viva (next Tuesday) so depending on what time my viva 1-7 hours.
Reply 114
Thanks. Does Brighton do vivas? I can't find much info on undergraduate vivas only PhD ones.

I find out on the same day I do the viva (next Tuesday) so depending on what time my viva 1-7 hours.

I'm not sure, if so I should hear by tomorrow I guess as the results come out on Friday :smile:
Reply 115
I had a 2.1, and I am very happy. :biggrin:
My 3rd year results were really good, especially in the second semester (Got the only first in a module I have ever had!).

Considering I did quite badly (mid level 2.2) in the second year, primarily due to laziness and in part mild depression. Its a good result.

Congratulations to everyone else for successfully graduating! :smile:
bravo, sun!
Reply 117
Wow, I got a first! Very happy! :smile:
Original post by petzneo
Wow, I got a first! Very happy! :smile:

:woo::woohoo::party::party2:
Reply 119
:woo::woohoo::party::party2:

Thank you! Hopefully we shall be hearing some happy news for you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending