AQA Unit 3 Mathematics 13 June 2012 - Unofficial Mark Scheme [43603H] [GCSE]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Based on what the school thinks they were:

A* 64/80
A 52/80
B 40/80
C 28/40

But my friend was told that they're likely to be even lower because this is the first time the exam board has done the exam.
Reply 101
Original post by Abbseh
I got 72/80 and my maths teacher told me I only just got an A*, literally 71 an A and 72 being an A*!

Your maths teacher was just raising the standards for you to make you work harder, the grade boundaries for A* are always much lower than 90% with Unit 2, an A* was only 42/66..
For the 7 mark question, I got 36.05...... and I'm sure I've got it right. Does it matter that I didn't round it when I put the answer on the answer line?
Reply 103

Question ?: (Quadratic Equation - quadratic formula)
3x^2+4x-10=0
Use the quadratic equation to get two values of x which were:
-2.61.. and 1.27..

for this question, the question asked for the values to 2 significant figures so surely the answers should be -2.6 and 1.3?
Reply 104
Original post by task

Question ?: (Quadratic Equation - quadratic formula)
3x^2+4x-10=0
Use the quadratic equation to get two values of x which were:
-2.61.. and 1.27..

for this question, the question asked for the values to 2 significant figures so surely the answers should be -2.6 and 1.3?

Yeah they are the figures that I put down for that question, as many people from my school did :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by k.lunstone
Yes however was that for the unit 1 test? Im quite sure for unit 1 72/80 wouldnt have been your raw marks that would have been UMS as the unit 1 test was not out of 80

This is what it said on my results:
"GCSEB70WINTER 201043601HMathematics Unit 1 Tier H072-a*"

I was told it was out of 80 as my teacher wrote the boundaries on the board all the way from D to full marks
For the vector question, everybody seems to be saying s1.5 or 1.5s.
I put s x 1.5, would i get the mark, it means the same thing right?
Original post by Abbseh
I got 72/80 and my maths teacher told me I only just got an A*, literally 71 an A and 72 being an A*!

On all the AQA practice papers 60/80 has been an A*!
Reply 108
Original post by Davelittle

Orly?! This is good, it means I can lower my target for yesterday's test :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by Davelittle

AQA does not release grade boundaries for mark schemes. There was only an official grade boundary set for the Specification paper of Unit 3 on course 4360.
Original post by Abbseh
Orly?! This is good, it means I can lower my target for yesterday's test :smile:

Also your 72/80 was UMS points not marks do unit 1. Unit 3 is out of 120UMS.
Reply 111
Hi,

For one of the questions where u had to find angle P, did u get 53.13 degrees? Also, with the 7 marker, I didn't attempt It properly, but for one of the sides I got 7.55cm, is that what u guys got, and if so will I at least get 1 mark for it? Thanks
Reply 112
Original post by Fedfed
Hi,

For one of the questions where u had to find angle P, did u get 53.13 degrees? Also, with the 7 marker, I didn't attempt It properly, but for one of the sides I got 7.55cm, is that what u guys got, and if so will I at least get 1 mark for it? Thanks

Hi there, side AB was 7.55cm - you got that one right. You probably got 2 or 3 marks for working that one out.

I don't remember seeing any 53.13 degrees and it is not anywhere in the unofficial mark scheme.

Jack
Reply 113
Original post by JDee
Hi there, side AB was 7.55cm - you got that one right. You probably got 2 or 3 marks for working that one out.

I don't remember seeing any 53.13 degrees and it is not anywhere in the unofficial mark scheme.

Jack

Thanks, yeah don't u remember the question when u had to use the cos rule because it was a right angled triangle and u had the hypotenuse and adjacent?
Reply 114
Original post by Fedfed
Thanks, yeah don't u remember the question when u had to use the cos rule because it was a right angled triangle and u had the hypotenuse and adjacent?

I do remember getting 53.1 for something...
Reply 115
Original post by lewisbee
no it was 342 from what I got also think of the logic they are not going to give 2 marks for working out 360-342 because it is too simple

I put 18 at first but it's not! After drawing an accurate scale diagram, the answer is 162 because you do 342-180=162 you use the equation T=F+180 and rearrange it. 162 is the answer
Reply 116
Remember that the North lines are parallel so you can use that to say 342-180=162. It's not 18 because that's just 360-342 and isn't a bearing from from where you want it. But you couldve then done 180-18=162 because of interior allied angles.
who knows how many marks the bearings question, vector question together were worth (marks) ???

thanks
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Click Spoiler for Original Unofficial Mark Scheme (unfinished)

Spoiler

For everyone inquiring about Grade Boundaries; as this is the first time this paper has been sat, there is no previous grade boundaries to give a rough indication.

It has been suggested, with the paper being out of 80 marks that the following grade boundaries may suit:
66 - A*
52 - A
41 - B
33 - C

**Please don't assume these are correct, they are just rough ideas posted on TSR

for the arc one, why is it 60 degrees, its a full semicircle surely that would mean it is 180 degrees?
I get that the triangle would make it 60degrees, but the actual arc wasnt from the triangle, there was a semi circle added, and the edge was curved so it looks like its 180, so i dont see why it is 60, could somebody please explain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending