Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick Question

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

just got a quick question.

I got my National Insurance Number today, but i'm not 16 until the end of August.

Can I start applying/looking for jobs now or do I have to wait until I'm 16?

Further, if I get an offer will I have to wait until I'm 16 to start?

Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you want to work, small cafes and local restaurants and shops hire fifteen year olds, even without NI number. However, most big companies e.g. mcdonalds, tesco, sainsbury's and pizza hut etc. don't hire anyone who isn't labelled as a 'school leaver' - that's someone who is aged 16, and the date is past the 30th of June in the year that they sit their GCSEs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileAway)
    It depends where you want to work, small cafes and local restaurants and shops hire fifteen year olds, even without NI number. However, most big companies e.g. mcdonalds, tesco, sainsbury's and pizza hut etc. don't hire anyone who isn't labelled as a 'school leaver' - that's someone who is aged 16, and the date is past the 30th of June in the year that they sit their GCSEs
    This is gonna sound weird and confusing but

My school does GCSEs a year early, so I'm currently in Year 11, just finished my AS exams and about to start my A2s.

I did my GCSEs in Year 10.

So, can i start applying as I've done my GCSEs?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monstersam)
    So, can i start applying as I've done my GCSEs?
    No, because it's the end of year eleven that they care about rather than the end of your actual GCSE exams. This is as year 11 is the last compulsory year of education and you must complete it before working in certain places Also, does that mean you will go to uni early?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, because it's the end of year eleven that they care about rather than the end of your actual GCSE exams. This is as year 11 is the last compulsory year of education and you must complete it before working in certain places Also, does that mean you will go to uni early?
    Okay, so i can start applying from June 30th?

& Well I'll suppose we'll have Y13 off - I'll still be in school finishing media A2 but I don't think so, I think we'd have to wait until the right time. :confused:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monstersam)
    Okay, so i can start applying from June 30th?

& Well I'll suppose we'll have Y13 off - I'll still be in school finishing media A2 but I don't think so, I think we'd have to wait until the right time. :confused:

You wont be able to work in certain places (aforementioned), since you will still be 15....My friend got skipped a year so that she is now younger a year than all of us, she is going to end up going to uni with the rest of us, despite the age difference
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You wont be able to work in certain places (aforementioned), since you will still be 15....My friend got skipped a year so that she is now younger a year than all of us, she is going to end up going to uni with the rest of us, despite the age difference
    Okay, thanks for your help

& I don't know. My schools just messed it up. like some of my friends are going to college but they have to start their AS' again because of different exam boards etc because we do them in Y11.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.